Fantasy Aficionados discussion

The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1)
This topic is about The Last Unicorn
Group Reads Archive > November Discussion: The Last Unicorns *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) This thread is for non-spoiler discussions of The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Please do not post spoilers in this thread. There is also a spoiler free thread for this book discussion.

Kara (sterlink) | 143 comments I've just put my Last Unicorn 35mm film strip up in the window for this months group read.

Nostalgia...

Happy reading everyone.

Scarlet I liked everything about this book, the characters, the world, the plot..it's just cool, Yes it was a bit childish but who care?? i loved it and that all that matters..I gave 5 stars.

Suzanne I'd seen the movie (?) at some point when I was a kid, but I had never read the book. I'm enjoying it a lot - the writing is lyrical.

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) I've loved this book ever since the first time I read it, which I believe was about the time it was first published. A long time ago. I agree with you Suzanne: the writing is lyrical. It is also whimsical, quirky, heartbreaking, and terrifying. There is one scene in it that still leaves me in tears.

Traci This is a style of book that's a favorite of mine. I like a little humor and romance sometimes. It has the feel of being a fairytale without being one. Familiar and new at the same time. I felt the same way the first time I read Howl's Moving Castle.

Jenny (jennyc89) I'm almost done with The Last Unicorn. I'm enjoying it more than I did in the beginning, I'm not sure why. I think I expected something different, although I don't know what, but now that I've settled into the story I've forgotten whatever I was expecting and am just enjoying the writing. That was a confusing sentence.

Suzanne A friend saw the book on my desk and asked what it was about. I wasn't sure how to describe it: "a unicorn looking for others of her kind" hardly does it justice. I think with this book, its probably less about the plot and more about the journey.

Craig (nipo) | 4 comments I never read the book or saw the movie as a kid, nine year old me was convinced it was too girly to be any good, but I'm really glad I decided to read it now.

I really enjoyed the prose and the symbolism throughout the book but the plot and narration were just ok to me.

message 10: by Audrey (last edited Nov 06, 2011 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Audrey (oddy) | 1 comments I used to love the movie as a kid, but I'd never read the book before last year. And, as always, the book was significantly better than the movie.

I'll be passing it on to all my friends who love the movie just as much.

Erica (bookpsycho) The book and movie are both fantastic.

Jenny (jennyc89) I finished it earlier today. I ended up enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It was a pleasant, refreshing, fun little adventure.

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Meyers (markmeyers) | 35 comments I'm barely into it and it's a nice change from the last book I read: Neuromancer. Although, the butterfly had some very strange lines...

message 14: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

carol. | 2616 comments lol---the butterfly. I love the butterfly. Lewis Carroll worthy. :) I wish I could participate more in the discussion--my copy is boxed atm. Much sadness. I feel like this is such an amazing book--the writing is so evocative and lyrical, and the characters so multilayered--who hears of incompetent wizards in most books? Mommy Fortuna's circus is so multilayered too--the one animal that wants to be there (was it the spider?), and the harpy that seems to be playing with her captivity... just such creative ideas.

Suzanne Yes the butterfly was great! You are right about the layers Carol - this was really a deep book. I loved it!

message 16: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Meyers (markmeyers) | 35 comments Beagle's style reminds me of T.H. White The Once and Future King : imaginary, adventurous, and funny. One of my all-time favorites.

message 17: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (sterlink) | 143 comments Mark wrote: "Although, the butterfly had some very strange lines..."

Yes, he does. lol

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments I just got this in an Omnibus of Beagle's short fantasy and I think will be next up after I finish Initiate's Trial.

Vivian (_vivian) | 114 comments Even though I only remember bits of the movie, I do know I used to love it. The book was fine. The writing was beautiful but I didn't find myself very connected to any of the characters or the story. Probably too deep for my simple mind. I feel a little blasphemous that I wasn't head over heels for the book, but *shrugs* oh well.

Becky I'm only one chapter into this book and I am so happy to be reading it! I've got the warm fuzzies all over. I absolutely loved this movie as a child, but never did read the story.

message 21: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Meyers (markmeyers) | 35 comments I finished the book recently so I need to watch the movie.

Jenny (jennyc89) Vivian wrote: "Even though I only remember bits of the movie, I do know I used to love it. The book was fine. The writing was beautiful but I didn't find myself very connected to any of the characters or the stor..."

Vivian I feel the same way. I enjoyed the story but I really didn't connect to it. I didn't love the book like so many others did.

message 23: by Kevin (last edited Nov 25, 2011 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kevin | 284 comments Jenny wrote: "Vivian wrote: "Even though I only remember bits of the movie, I do know I used to love it. The book was fine. The writing was beautiful but I didn't find myself very connected to any of the charact..."

I read it earlier this year and have the same feelings. I feel that I should find this a great book, but I just didn't connect with the characters or the story. That actually happens a lot when I try to read 'classics'.

Vivian (_vivian) | 114 comments Glad it's not just me, don't feel too bad now.

message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne | 54 comments I finished The Last Unicorn yesterday. I enjoyed it, but I wish I had read it for the first time when I was a child. I think I would have enjoyed it even more then. I'm considering getting it for my nieces when they are a few years older (they just turned 6). It seems like just the type of book they would love.