Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about In Bed with a Highlander
2011 Group Read Archive > November Read: In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
Feel free to read and discuss In Bed with a Highlander with us.

Optional Talking Points:

1. What did you think of the characters?
2. How does this book measure up in the Highlander romance genre?
3. What did you think of the story and setting?
4. Do you plan to continue the series?
5. Favorite moments/lines?
6. Overall rating out of 1-5 stars or 1-10?
7. Other books like this you'd recommend?

The BookChick  (thebookchick305) I'm about 30% in and I am enjoying the story. I have read quite a few Highlander romances and the story is typical for the genre. A beautiful lass, fleeing a villain (evil parents looking to marry her off; evil sibling lookingtk marry her off, evil laird looking to marry her as a political pawn) and is rescued (intentionally or unintentionally) by the gruff hero. Through many trials, tribulations, and personality conflicts the H/h find love. In Bed with a Highlander is shaping up to be a similar type of story. I am enjoying the interaction between Ewan, Mairin, and young Crispen. The secondary characters, specifically his brothers Alairic and Caelen, are bolstering the interesting facets of the story.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (last edited Nov 20, 2011 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I read this back in August but I'll comment anyway. ☺
I really enjoyed this one. I loved the characters. Both the hero and heroine were likable. There were some interesting secondary characters, including Ewan's brothers who have their own stories and Crispin was a jewel. I know it was compared to Julie Garwood and I did see some similarities. Mostly, in the cute and witty banter between the hero and heroine. I think it measures up favorably the the genre for me. Not sure how accurate it was historically but as long as there are no glaring mistakes I'm okay with it. I have read the entire series and loved them all. I gave it 5 stars and would definitely recommend it.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I am not a big fan of historical romances, but I do love this author so I decided to give this one a try and am glad that I did as I really liked this book. While so many of these things that happened were predictable, I found myself loving the characters, especially Mairin and Crispin.

At the beginning they were so fiercely protective of each other that you could not help but to love them. I loved it when Crispin stood up to his father and uncles to protect Mairin, spouting back to them platitudes they have been teaching the little guy.

I also loved the way that Mairin won over all those in the keep and her guards. Of course they didn't like her at first with her high handed ways and strange thinking.

The way the women of the keep banded together was so much fun too. From the secret sex talks to grabbing any weapon available to back their mistress against the Laird was funny.

Mairin not listening to Ewan all the time and stating her opinion all the time made for some very funny misunderstanding, especially about their wedding night. I was glad to see that they were able to come to love each other, each sacrificing greatly for the other.

I can't wait to read about the other McCabe brothers!

Lauren (laurenjberman) A wonderful story with engaging characters.
Really enjoyed Mairin's feistiness and Crispen was simply adorable.
I loved how Ewan was all full of bluster, as Mairin put it, but sexy, sweet and possessive of those he loves.
The action was well paced and the story grabbed me even though I though the climax was a little rushed and things were tied up very neatly.
Can't wait to read the next book.

The BookChick  (thebookchick305) Finally done!

Here's my review on the book:

I loved this story. I am a fan of historical romances...specifically of the Highland variety. The H/h Ewan and Mairin was such a dynamic and interesting couple. And Crispen...what a sweetheart. I appreciated how Ewan and Mairin's relationship evolved. She provoked and testedhim at every turn but he was able to see her grit thus making him fall in love with her. He was considerate and protective of her in his gruff Highland way but I found it endearing.

The villain, Cameron, hated him. He was the typical bad guy who thrived on power and wanted something that he could only acquire through trickery and deceipt. I actually had a little lip quiver when (view spoiler).

I liked the strong supporting characters of Ewan's brothers, Alaric and Caelen. And you had to love the women Mattie, Bertha, Gertie, and Christina who formed their own little posse to protect Mairin when they thought she needed it. That was one of the best parts of the book. This was a very enjoyable book and I wholeheartedly recommend it as a very good read.

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (michmag) I'm just going to be starting this today and look forward to sharing my thoughts. I'm a sucker for a man with a brogue and kilt so the author would really need to mess up for me not to like the book.

~Megan~ (megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "I know it was compared to Julie Garwood and I did see some similarities."

Ok, you just sold me on moving this up to read TODAY!

I finished it, and I totally loved every second of it! 5 star read for me!

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (michmag) Wow Megan - you read that in like 5 hours. Do you not work??? I just started it at lunch and read the first 2 chapters. Granted I kept stopping to check in on GR which really slows down my reading time.

I do, but I've been reading it between phone calls LOL! Not too busy today.

Heather (heathermb) | 21 comments I believe what I liked best about this book was the pacing. Lately I've been having the problem of being only half-way done with a book, yet feeling as if the story could have concluded by this time. My one complaint if anything is that the ending was rather anti-climatic, but this actually didn't bother me much as it is the first of the trilogy.

I loved all of the characters and my only ualm with any of them would be that Mairin seemed to always be throwing up.....? It became almost humorous after a while.

As a Highlander book I'd have to rank it lower on the scale. I felt that the setting was more of a convenient background than a vital characteristic, it could just have easily have been changed to England or what-not with little change. There were no accents or local words used, nor descriptions of scenery specific to the area.

Despite these things I did greatly enjoy the book. I rated it a 4of5. If using a 10pt scale I'd give it a 7.

Now I'm off to start the next one.

I was a little worried by her constant vomiting, too lol!

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (michmag) I just finished reading this book. Overall I thought it was a good read. The charactrs were likable and the storyline was good. I would give the chemistry a 3. I thought Mairin was a very strong heroine until the 2nd half of the book then it just seemed that she cried all the time, that is when she wasn't vomiting. I gave this book 3.5 stars.

* Kazzy * -aka Stryker- (KrazzyKaz) Finished this book couple of days ago, and absolutely loved it! I thought the characters were interesting and loved that Mairin was a solid, strong female, (apart from the vomitting LOL, (view spoiler). Ewan and Mairin were sweet together and I thought Ewan was a real hero, charging in to save his love like he did, and he was an attentive father to Crispen too which was endearing... (Crispen was a cute little boy).

I loved the humour throughout the story, especially when Mairin sought advice from the Clan women about how to keep her man happy! She seemed most horrified by some of the suggestions, yet wasted no time trying the ideas out LOL!. I liked the naievety there was about Mairin, and yet in comparison she had a mature side that kept showing through and taking charge.

I cringed several times at the acts of the villan Cameron... he has to be one of the cruelest 'baddies' i've read about. I couldn't believe the things he did to Mairin, and I got so angry and a bit emotional at times. I think books that can draw you in like that are very well written and engaging. There were also lots of twists and I was shocked at some of the turns the story took, as I hadn't expected them at all, (view spoiler).

There were a few 'deja vu' moments, when it felt like I was reading a story I had already read before, (view spoiler), so felt I had to deduct a little for that. Overall it was a fab story, and I gave it 4.5*. I am definitely gonna read the rest of the series fairly soon.

Melanie Barlow | 5 comments I don't want to sound like a traitor but I just couldn't get into this book. I had a problem with all of the vomiting! yuck! I really enjoyed her Colters' series, this latest book just wasn't as good to me.