Around the World in Books discussion

Cambodia > Discussion on November book/s is held here

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Fletcher | 124 comments Mod
This month's books are from Cambodia. The joint winners of the poll are The Disappeared and When Broken Glass Floats: Growing Up Under the Khmer Rouge.

Please discuss them here!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 179 comments Mod
So I have both from the library. I think I will read the one by the Montreal writer first.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

I've started The Disappeared. Very Montreal - jazz and blues, the river and mountain, summer and winter, narrow streets and express ways, english and french, new and established immigrants, coffee houses and bars, students and workers. The writer has a very smooth style. My worry is that she is just about to break my heart.

message 4: by Lara (new)

Lara (laradyane) I just finished When Broken Glass Floats--really hard to read, but I thought Him told her story beautifully. I'm looking forward to starting The Disappeared, although, yeah, I imagine I have more tears ahead of me...

message 5: by Sayan (new)

Sayan Bali | 1 comments When Broken Glass Floats. I bought it on my first year in Phnom Penh. I couldn't believe such nice people as the Khmer could be so cruel to one another.

message 6: by Elizabeth (last edited Nov 11, 2011 09:49PM) (new)

I just finished the Disappeared. It is so smoothly written but so sad that I can't read the other book. Kim Echlin weaves a love story and broken heart with the the Cambodian genocide, the Vietnamese occupation and the period of the UN Transitional Authority. I leaned more than I every wanted to learn but should have learned years ago. I will never be able to speak to another Cambodian Canadian ever again without thinking of the sorrows I experienced through this book.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) I'm about half way through 'When Broken Glass Floats'. I can't believe what the people of Cambodia had to endure. What is even harder to believe is that this only happened in recent times. I have to remind myself as I read this that this happened only a handful of years before I was born, not in the early 1900's as I keep imagining. To be so hungry you have to eat beetles, grass and fish heads is mind-blowing.

message 8: by Chris (last edited Nov 17, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Chris Fletcher | 124 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "....I learned more than I ever wanted to learn but should have learned years ago."

Couldn't agree more!