Lush Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book nominations > Let's get voting for December's books CLOSED

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (last edited Nov 01, 2011 04:14AM) (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
Hi guys - it's the 1st so lets start voting for December!

3 books - your first vote will get 3 points, second 2 and third 1. You can change your choices at any time before the thread closes on the 7th.

Please list the title & author (if you want to include the cover then click on "add book/author" and click on the circle for "cover" type in the name of the book and click "search" then when yous see your book click "add".

Feel free to shamelessly pimp your choices ;)

Earlier this month I started a thread "Shameless pimping for nxt read" and the posts it got were all for one book so . . . I have decided to automatically include Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman in the poll (no need to vote for it then). We might feel like a bit more Gaiman by December and it is meant to be one of his best. I also like the idea of randomly rewarding participation.

Remember that the earlier you vote the more people see your choices and might choose one of them to nominate in their own post.

I'm off to think about it and lurk ;)

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:28AM) (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
1. The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

2. Apartment 16 - Adam Nevill
Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill

3. The Sealed Letter - Emma Donoghue
The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

Sarah wrote: "1. Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman
2. Apartment 16 - Adam Nevill
3. The Sealed Letter - Emma Donoghue

(I know you're going to include Anansi Boys anyway, so I'll change my vote if we're not supposed..."

No need to vote for it mate - nominations are to collect points so that the most popular go to poll. I was going to give it +3 points but then I thought that at least 3 people will vote for it too so it might as well go straight to poll.
Can you do me a favour and link your choices? (if you choose the cover option it looks great and acts as a link anyway) that way we can all click on them and see what they're about.

message 4: by Sam (VanillaFountain) (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Sam (VanillaFountain) | 577 comments Mod
Last month I really thought this book was going to be in the polls as it seemed to have lots of votes, my counting must be terrible anyway for my first vote.
1. Room by Emma Donoghue Because I have this book and it's crying out to me.
2. The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue - I saw this on the book people for only £4.99 and it's very recent too, looks interesting.
3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - Yet again I'm going to vote for this as I've been dying to read it since I heard of the film and want to read the book before I watch the film :).

message 5: by Ness (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:02AM) (new)

Ness (Violet74) | 209 comments Mod
1. What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
I have this one already waiting for me .... and it has some great reviews! Described as having a clever plot, twist and developed characters. It's a mystery (a little creepy) that starts in the 80s and then jumps forwards 20 years. I think it's a novel that could really draw me in.

2. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman
I've also had this one for a couple of months and I've heard much about it. A few of us were interested in this one when we started the nominations (August time maybe) and then it got forgotten about. Anyway I hope to get round to it soon.

3. The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite by Beatrice Colin
After reading The Book Thief I think I'd like to try another book with a German historical setting. Lilly's life starts at the beginning of the 20th century, born to a cabaret dancer and then orphaned. Affairs, murder, prostitution, stardom and wars all amidst the years before and during Germany's economic collapse. Sounds like a good 'un.

message 6: by Nisha (last edited Nov 01, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Nisha 1) x Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan Brown
a really good intense book to get stuck into and a great film if i can say hehe

2 and 3 coming later once i have a little think

message 7: by Kerry Bridges (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:50AM) (new)

Kerry Bridges | 121 comments 1. I have The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall waiting for me after American Gods (I also have Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman arriving, but that's another story!.......)

2. My Swordhand is Singing (My Swordhand is Singing, #1) by Marcus Sedgwick
3. Arthur & George by Julian Barnes

message 8: by Kirsty (last edited Nov 02, 2011 02:01AM) (new)

1) Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts Shantaram (thanks Sophia) I'd never heard of this but it sounds really, really, good and is rated highly.
2) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell Cloud Atlas This is a book I keep hearing is on people's best books lists and I've had it waiting for a while
3) The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman 5 years in the writing and receiving really good reviews I want to see what the writer of Practical Magic has taken so long to research and write
*edited* after reading Sophia's choices

message 9: by Kerry Bridges (new)

Kerry Bridges | 121 comments Kirsty, I read Cloud Atlas about 6 years ago and remember absolutely loving it.

message 10: by Nisha (last edited Nov 01, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Nisha 2) Ruby Red (Edelstein Trilogie #1) by Kerstin Gier

i saw this in the shop and thought it looked really good and a gripping book to read , not the most known book but it looks good and i think is fun to read unknown books because it may be good x

message 11: by Nisha (new)

Nisha 3 ) The Horse Boy A Father's Quest to Heal His Son by Rupert Isaacson

My sister has read this book and this is ment to be such an amazing book :) i hope you choose it becasue it is so moving and really intresting x

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I know there's no need to vote for it but as a little extra pimp -
1 Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

2 The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

3 Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 13: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 30 comments 1. The Way of Kings Part One by Brandon Sanderson

2. Room by Emma Donoghue

3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

message 14: by Sophia (last edited Nov 01, 2011 04:01PM) (new)

Sophia (pageplucker) | 230 comments Mod
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

message 15: by Katrina (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:21PM) (new)

Katrina Williams (missybsleeping) | 32 comments Three very different from each other choices from me, but all ones I want to read. Room by Emma Donoghue Good Omens by Terry Pratchett The To-do List by Mike Gayle

message 16: by Kirsty (new)

Sam wrote: "Last month I really thought this book was going to be in the polls as it seemed to have lots of votes, my counting must be terrible anyway for my first vote.
1.Room by Emma Donoghue Because I ha..."

There was a reason but I can't remember right now what it was. Something like the list being really long was either that or as far as I remember there was a clear winner but I wanted to be fair and opted to automatically include everyone's first choice (I think Room got a 2 + 1). The thread last month was complicated with 2 different polls. I'll get back to you on this but I'll have to look over it again:)

message 17: by Kirsty (last edited Nov 02, 2011 02:25AM) (new)

Kirsty wrote: "1) Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts Shantaram (thanks Sophia) I'd never heard of this but it sounds really, really, good and is rated highly.
2) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell Cloud Atlas This is a book..."

I looked over the votes so far and since The Strain is part of a series (and the ending is obviously sequel ready - thanks Vicky) I decided to remove it and reorder my choices.

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (bbbrandnewww) | 2 comments 1. The House of Lost Souls
by F.G. Cottam

2. Apartment 16
by Adam Nevill

3. The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana
by Umberto Eco

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 30 comments I suspect that my choices have already been read by lots of people, but I haven't gotten around to them, so I might as well list them:

1. The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) by Terry Pratchett

2. The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell

3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.