flight paths discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 733 comments At last started my summer reading The Girl Who Played with Fire, also picking up form library The Riddle. Hope everyone is (reading) well !

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2214 comments It seemed unusually difficult for me to settle into the books I am reading now. A book I'd picked for my morning read was not suitable, consisting of wonderful exercises condusive to sleep. I will continue to work with this book, but have added Soul Work for my morning read. I am finding it a bit over the top, but in a good way. Sometimes just one paragraph supplies enough provocation for a whole days meditation.
Am finally into Sweetness in the Belly Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb

Another book that turns out be totally different from my impression of it from the cover.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments I am reading Haruki Murakami's new book, 1Q84. It's very long (almost 1,000 pages) so I don't know when I'll finish it but it's wonderful. I'm loving it so much, it's practically the only book I'm reading (which is amazing, for me).

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim I've got four going at once:

Middlemarch
The Histories
North and South
Swann's Way

I don't normally read more than 2 at once so this is new for me. The Histories actually doesn't have a plot, per se, so you can start and stop where you want. Ditto Swann's Way.

Middlemarch and North & South cover similar territory in terms of women's plight in the 19th century English countryside. An interesting juxtaposition...

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Ellie wrote: "I am reading Haruki Murakami's new book, 1Q84. It's very long (almost 1,000 pages) so I don't know when I'll finish it but it's wonderful. I'm loving it so much, it's ..."

Great to hear! Miss GP over at Bookish gave it 5 stars. I'm going to read it next year after the hoopla dies down a bit....

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 733 comments I am now on 4 at a time, but I have got books to add to my tbr and have challenged myself to keep it under 100. So reading to make room .... an impossible task and an immovable challenge.

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2214 comments Ellie wrote: "I am reading Haruki Murakami's new book, 1Q84. It's very long (almost 1,000 pages) so I don't know when I'll finish it but it's wonderful. I'm loving it so much, it's ..."

a new Murakami! I'd heard rumors about its coming.It will probably be a while before it appears in the bookstore.

In the meantime, I quite enjoyed 'Shopping'
Gavin Kramer which takes place in the same haunts....

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Ice wrote: "I am now on 4 at a time, but I have got books to add to my tbr and have challenged myself to keep it under 100. So reading to make room .... an impossible task and an immovable challenge."

One of my favorite lines from the Fight Club movie is, "On a long enough time-line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." If you apply that logic to your tbr list, the task becomes much more possible!

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2214 comments Jim, I'm not sure I grasp the logic in your reasoning, but I like the outcome!

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Given enough time, Ice will complete the tbr books...

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Nov 02, 2011 06:17PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2214 comments Jim wrote: "Given enough time, Ice will complete the tbr books..."

this can only be true if Ice freezes his list.

in practice, as long as we are growing and alive we will never be finished with our tbr list.

message 12: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Nov 07, 2011 01:49AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 733 comments By reading some of the classics I have gained a better understanding of my reading tastes. I think I can manage within a tbr of 100, before I retire!

So this is my 2012 challenge, in the meantime I need to make some headroom !

message 13: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 733 comments Only 4 books in action, from 5. An accountant that cant count ! Technical reading is massing up and I only read a newspaper at weekends.

More books ordered this time Mr Mantel, which some of you have enjoyed.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Finished North and South this morning. Now I can focus my attention on Middlemarch. Also clears some space for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle which comes up for a read on 11/15.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I'm impressed that my wicked parody has not put you off!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim Paul wrote: "I'm impressed that my wicked parody has not put you off!"

The way I look at it is, if it provoked that kind of response from Paul, then I too want to be provoked. Is that adventurous on my part? Or just garden-variety masochism? We shall see...

message 17: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2214 comments meanwhile, back on the American frontier, I am noting that in the second part of this historical fiction that I am slightly less engaged with the civil war, and the characters living through it. Descriptions of battles bore me to tears and although McNaee does a good job of describing the total chaos of that time, I wanted to be following the Indians in their exile.

Though my outrage is still active, I dont resonate with any of the new characters as I did with Tchula Homa in part one.

This I suppose is a good thing. What good does it do to scream and cry over the past?

message 18: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments Still reading 1Q84 & a fascinating (and probably controversial-especially with our current pope) book about Christianity: Speaking Christian: Why Christian Words Have Lost Their Meaning and Power - And How They Can Be Restored. Some of my most interesting reads happen because I always like to have an e-book downloaded on my computer so I can take reading breaks when I'm on GR. So I often have to try new books that are available. And I mostly like non-fiction for "break" reading because they're easier to mentally enter & exit-so that leads me to trying books I would not have probably ever tried otherwise.

You're work sounds interesting Magdelanye but I'm with you on descriptions of battles.

Btw, 1Q84 is out in the bookstores now-I've been waiting since last spring! I'm at around page 500 & it's dragging a bit (for the first time) but still engaging. I feel like we're getting ready for something big to happen & it seems (in a Murakami-defined way) to be a period of suspense, maybe in the more literal sense of "suspended" - a waiting time charged with feeling (the charge embodied in a vicious thunderstorm that is going on).

message 19: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2214 comments there are even posters out all over the place promoting the book. The fancy promo seems excessive and probably unnessary seeing as people leap on anything new he publishes.
one thing characteristic of Murakami is those dead zones he inserts in all of his books, where his brilliance tapers off and he drops in on the banal.

I am feeling more banal by the moment and realize once again the computer has sucked up 3 hours . Ive been mostly working on my little article/poem and am falling asleep as I type :-z

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.