Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
This topic is about The Faery Reel
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Faery Reel > The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm (The Mythic Fiction Series, #2) - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited May 15, 2012 08:48PM) (new) - added it

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Our November book is the anthology The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm - edited by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow.
Who's reading?

FYI: Terri Windling is the founder of Endicott Studio/The Journal of Mythic Arts, the inspiration for this reading group.

Group Members' Reviews

Katy (kathy_h) I think I will start this next week.

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I'm going to be reading it, too! :)

message 4: by Ramona (last edited Nov 05, 2011 06:19AM) (new)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments I read it a couple of years ago and will reread it this month. It's a very strong collection, IMO. Enjoy, friends!

Katy (kathy_h) I had thought to skip the introduction (it is several pages long) but started it, and wow -- this is a great introduction: brief history, some great books mentioned -- really enjoyed it. I've got several other books in the works that I am reading too, so I think I will get a story a day read. Can't wait to see what you all think.

Katy (kathy_h) Not quite half way through -- but these are some fun stories.

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I finished it a couple of days ago! :)

message 8: by Odette (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:21AM) (new) - added it

Unfortunately, my library doesn't have a circulating copy, but I may go to the reference library & read it there if I can muster the patience.
(I really prefer to read at home with a cup of tea, quiet, & total control of the lighting, but the reference library here has a much vaster collection of Endicott books than I do, so I'll see if I can adjust. :) )

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I hope you can find a copy. I really, really enjoyed the bulk of the stories. :) I hope adapting isn't too hard (I completely understand - everything is made better with a cup of tea, but when you're reading, it's fabulous).

I'm living in a small town for university, and finding Endicott books is very difficult, haha. I was so surprised that they had Faerie Reel, though! From what little research I've done, I've been able to tell that it's not being printed anymore, or it's at least super inaccessible in most mainstream bookstores? Am I wrong? D;

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I have this, and I've read a few of the stories out it. I think it's very good.

message 11: by Odette (last edited Nov 20, 2011 06:33PM) (new) - added it

Thanks, Anatha.
I'm not sure about Faerie Reel's overall availability, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were difficult to find. I think a lot of wonderful books in the Endicott lists are out of print, unfortunately.
Thank goodness for libraries that hold on to old books!

message 12: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments Many out-of-print books are available from small-business used-book sellers on Amazon.com. I know people have strong feelings about Amazon, but this is a positive, IMO. I've found some wonderful old books this way.

message 13: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments I got the book from the library. I am not usually a fan of short stories and prefer novels, so I have not started it yet. Can anyone recommend which story to start with?

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I'm personally a cover-to-cover person! I've never thought about reading stories out of order (I'm not creative, haha).
Jalilah, I think Kelly Link's "the Faery Handbag" would be a good story to start with. It's a good mood-setter, without being too artsy in the writing style and too strange to immediately catch onto (I hope that makes sense?). After that, "Tengu Mountain" and "Your Garnet Eyes," the latter if you're interested in ridiculously beautiful language.
I liked the majority of them, but "the Faery Handbag" is a good starter. :)

If you're interested in other fairy-related books, skim the introduction, too! They have some incredible recommendations for further reading. :)

Happy reading!

message 15: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments I began at the beginning and have read seven or so stories so far--each quite a different voice in writing style, era, subject matter, and each quite good. I'll have to agree with Anatha that so far "The Faery Handbag" is my favorite for originality. I kept thinking, "Wow! I wish I could think up such amazing things!"

message 16: by Reem (new) - added it

Reem (reemhkattan) | 49 comments Don't have it with me at the moment, but I have read this :). One of my favourite books of all time, as I love stories about faeries. Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow always deliver with their anthologies. In case anyone's wondering where I have been for the past......year or so. SO much is going on in life. I am currently on my way to getting an MA in Creative Writing. I'm studying in England.

message 17: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments That's great, Reem! Let us know when you have writing for us to read.

message 18: by Odette (new) - added it

Ditto what Ramona said, Reem. Thanks for the update. :)

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) About halfway through the set of stories.
They have been fun, but I do prefer a novel so I set them down and have forgotten about the book. I do think I will finish this still. Has been good so far.

message 20: by Katy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) Finished the book. Loved some of the stories, others were just okay. Overall though, a very good read.

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I'm glad you liked it, Kathy. I felt the same way. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.