Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2011-11 - Childhood - Post November Reviews Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments I'm excited to read reviews of everyone's childhood favorites - old or new!

message 2: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Thanks for starting the posts Luann :0)

message 3: by Susan (last edited Nov 03, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

Susan | 3390 comments Mod
I have a feeling I must've read Stellaluna with my children when they were little, but I couldn't remember it. so it was a great place to start this month. 4 stars for sure! My review here .

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Check out my Review

message 5: by Susan (new)

I read a lot of Sherlock Holmes stories when I was a kid, but hadn't heard of Agatha Christie then. So, even though I'd already seen the movie, it was fun to read Murder on the Orient Express for the first time. My review here .

message 6: by Susan (new)

Strega Nona is a cute little story for reading aloud to young children. I gave it 3 stars. My review here .

message 7: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I read Go the Fuck to Sleep and gave it 5 stars. I laughed through the whole story. You have to have a bit of a twisted sense of humor ;op
I think I found it extra funny as I have had friends who have had children who refuse to sleep as well as myself working with children who refuse to have nap time ;op

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments Slayermel - apparently the audio version of Go The Fuck to Sleep is read by Samuel L. Jackson. We gave it to one of my co-workers who is about to have her first kid

message 9: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Dee I first heard the audio read by Samuel L. Jackson and almost died of laughter, then I just had to go out and buy a copy. I ended up picking up a couple to give as gifts as I just love it soooo much ;op

message 10: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1594 comments I read Goodnight iPad this weekend. Okay, it isn't on the childhood shelf, but it sure was funny. I'm sure it will be on that shelf soon. I used to read Goodnight Moon to my kids all the time, and this is just such a good take-off on it!

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments Ann Droyd...android...haha!!

message 12: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments Slayermel wrote: "I read Go the Fuck to Sleep and gave it 5 stars. I laughed through the whole story. You have to have a bit of a twisted sense of humor ;op
I think I found it extra funny as I have..."

I read it too and laughed out loud! Although I am not a mother, I am that kind of child, that would've benefitted from such poetry as a child :-))

message 13: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1594 comments Dee wrote: "Ann Droyd...android...haha!!"

Yeah, I caught that. I understand it's a pseudonym for a children's writer who was selected to take on the task. She did a good job.

message 14: by Parsa (last edited Nov 09, 2011 12:37AM) (new)

Parsa I read Where the Wild Things Are last night. Liked it. Here is my review
Before that I read The Giving Tree and I disliked it very much. I would never give it to my kids [whenever I have them] or suggest it to anyone. I know people like it very much but here are my reasons for disliking and the review

Seeing reviews here I have decided to read Go the Fuck to Sleep

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments I just finished "Where the wild things are" and I liked it. I loved the illustrations!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
My first book for this month was a small 85 page book called Cats of Velvet by Maria Mitchell. What a cute little book with a great feline main character. Anyone with a cat would love this book and most likely see their own feline in a lot of Bizcos actions and thoughts. I know I did!

message 17: by Parsa (new)

Parsa Read Go the Fuck to Sleep yesterday. I have been recommending it to friends ever since. Specially the audio. Its hilarious. I have an idea, I'll be doing same with my kids :P

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments My first childhood book was The World of Pooh: The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, and how lovely it was to get back to the original characters. Shepard's illustrations are just beautiful although I had to keep reminding myself to stop and look at them because I got so caught up in the adventures.

message 19: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Treasure Island - I had never read this before. It was good but not great. It had never occurred to me that the Disney movie "Treasure Planet" followed the book so closely.

A Clockwork Orange - I actually really liked the book. But I wouldn't encourage my own kids to read it until high school because the violence is pretty raw.

message 20: by Susan (last edited Nov 13, 2011 01:41PM) (new)

The Amber Spyglass is the 3rd in a series, so I couldn't pass up the chance to squeeze it in this month. I gave it 3 stars. My review here .

message 21: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Finished reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Books of Wonder) and gave it 3 stars.

It was interesting to have read this after having grown up with the movie. It stuck pretty close, but I found the movie gave the story a bit more substance, that being said the story had a few elements I liked better though too. For example there being a good witch in the north and south and the bad witches in the east and west.

message 22: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Has anyone read It's a Book by Lane Smith ? I thought it was so funny! The downside of technological advances. The humor definitely makes it more appropriate for adults than children though, and a few people have been upset over the use of "jackass" in it, but seeing as y'all are talking about Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach , I figure it isn't a big deal :)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I read Edith Nesbit's The Book of Dragons over a couple of nights. It's an old collection of children's stories about dragons. Some are quite funny, some are a bit more serious with a moral and some are purely absurd.
I do like Nesbit's story style and I might read some more of her work this month.
4 stars

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments I have like 3 minutes left of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I have to say that I never realized how much my memories of the movie influenced my remembering the book. Like the goose with the golden egg scene from the movie - yeah, not in the book, but rather a room full of squirrels...but I enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Eric Idle was a funny narrator, and i'm planning on starting the next charlie book tonight

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "I have like 3 minutes left of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I have to say that I never realized how much my memories of the movie influenced my remembering the book. Like the goo..."

Eric Idle seems like he would be perfect for this one!

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments and each chapter has this really goofy music break, that totally makes you feel like you are in the chocolate factory

message 27: by Susan (new)

I finally let myself read Midnight Sun, and enjoyed it, of course. My review here .

message 28: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I reread Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? with my preschoolers at work, they loved it :0)

message 29: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1594 comments I read Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery. It's the second book in the Anne of Green Gables series and I truly like it. It's a classic, set in Canada, and always a good, relaxing read.

message 30: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments I finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've never read it before. All I can say is WOW!

message 31: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments I read Matilda for this challenge, I had never read any of Roald Dahl's books but my daughters loved them. I really enjoyed reading about Matilda, the precousious little girl who taught herself to read and multiply. Her first challenge was keeping herself entertained as a toddler. Her next challenge happened when she met the headmistress of the local school. It is really funny to see what she does.

My second book for the challenge was The BFG, the BFG stands for the Big Friendly Giant. He was the one giant who didn't go out at night to find "human beans" for supper. He did take Sophie one night because she saw him as he passed through her village giving dreams to little children. Together he and Sophie try to save the humans from the rest of the giants. Another great story from Roald Dahl.

I was on a roll so I read another of Roald Dahl's books, The Witches. The hero is a little boy who learns about witches from his Norwegian Grandmother. When they take their holiday on the English coast he discovers a large group of women with disastrous consequences.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Lahni wrote: "I finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've never read it before. All I can say is WOW!"

Amazing, isn't it? I hadn't read it before this year, either -- I was in high school when it was first published. No reason to be ashamed -- there will always be more terrific books than we can ever find time for. But isn't it wonderful to discover one of them?!

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments I just finished up listening to Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator - also narrated by Eric Idle - I know I read this one growing up, but don't remember that much - I remember the pills that would make Grandma Josephine; Grandma Georgina and Grandpa George younger, but not much else - to my surprise that was almost at the end of the book

Also growing up, I never really picked up on the political commentary that could potentially be seen in the writing - one part where the president's nanny decides that since he couldn't read or write he should become a politician....also lots of talk about the space race and space superiority - which since it was written in the 1970's doesn't surprise me

message 34: by Susan (new)

I just finished Little House on the Prairie Cookbook. Now I feel like I should make some vinegar pie! I gave it 3 stars. My review here .

I also read Walk Two Moons. I gave it 3 stars also. My review here .

message 35: by Susan (new)

I decided to read The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke, because I'd enjoyed her Inkheart. They're quite different, but I liked this one, too. I gave it 3 stars. My review here .

message 36: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Vivian wrote: "Has anyone read It's a Book by Lane Smith? I thought it was so funny! The downside of technological advances. The humor definitely makes it more appropriate for adults than children though, a..."

I loved It's a Book! My son (now 17) loved Lane Smith's earlier work, The Happy Hocky Family, and this new one is fun, too. (It's not quite as dark as that other one, but it's still cynical and sarcastic.)

message 37: by Luann (last edited Nov 19, 2011 08:32PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments I just reread The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. It was a childhood favorite, but I didn't remember a lot of the details. I also didn't know back then that there were other books set in that same world! I've been wanting to read them, but wanted to reread this one first so I could have the details and characters fresh in my mind. It was a great book to reread, although a bit shorter than I remembered! When I was little, it seemed like the girls were in the horrible school for a huge portion of the book. The book itself isn't all that long, and the horrible school is really a small portion of the storyline. I loved rereading it! I still give it 4 stars.

Now I'm reading the next book in the series, Black Hearts in Battersea.

message 38: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Thanks Candiss! I'll have to look for the Happy Hocky Family.

Read The Last Unicorn. Loved the movie when I was younger, but sad to say the book didn't do it for me. The writing is beautiful and parts of the story were moving, but I was a bit bored throughout.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Over the last week or so I managed to finish The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six and The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter: The Original and Authorized Edition Illustrated .

The World of Christopher Robin is a collection of the two books of verse my Milne. I'm not a big fan of poetry but I just kept reading these lovely little verses. Very enjoyable, I'm looking forward to one day reading them to my own children. Four stars.

It was interesting to read Beatrix Potter's Complete Tales as a single work, the way the stories connect to one another really stands out. Her illustrations are always beautiful and they really add a lot of extra little details to the stories. I've owned this volume since I was a child and it's another one to pass down to my own children. Five stars.

message 40: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4358 comments Mod
My husband and I read the Bow-Wow Book of Gulliver's Travels. I realized as we read it that I had never known this story. I knew about the Lilliputians tying him up but did not know the part about the war with the Blefuscudians or the diplomacy that was involved. It was really an interesting story.

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments Sarah - did you ever see the Miss Potter movie that came out a few years ago - I think it had Renee Zelwegger in it - it was supposed to be the story of Beatrix Potter and how the animals came to life for her - it seems true in that they had after-notes about her life

message 42: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments There is a series of books by Susan Wittig Albert called "The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter. They are delightful little books but not on the "childrens" shelf.

message 43: by Krait (new)

Krait | 58 comments I've just reread It by Stephen King. This one is on my five star list, and has been ever since it first came out. You can click through to read my review.

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments I finished listening to Tiger Eyes - I remember reading it in my teens, but as with charlie and the chocolate factory, I had forgotten bits and pieces. As I was listening, I was wondering why it ends up on so many banned/challenged lists and I guess the overall talk of death/dying and omg, a teen having a sex life is enough to do that...lol!

might have to see what other Judy Blume my library has in audio to finish out the month

message 45: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 90 comments Luann wrote: "I just reread The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. It was a childhood favorite, but I didn't remember a lot of the details. I also didn't know back then that th..."

I was obsessed with Joan Aiken books for a time when I was young
and like you I cannot remember much about them exccept that the two you mentyion were favourites! Thanks for the reminder and enjoy!

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments I remember reading Wolves of Willoughby Chase as well, but don't remember any of the details - soo many books I wanna re-read and not enough time

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Dee wrote: "Sarah - did you ever see the Miss Potter movie that came out a few years ago - I think it had Renee Zelwegger in it - it was supposed to be the story of Beatrix Potter and how the animals came to l..."

I did see that, it was quite a lovely movie. :)

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments i bawled during that dang movie...lol!

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments finishing up Bridge to Terabithia - the first time I read this it was in class and I didn't really enjoy it (I never did like books assigned for class) - now listening to it as a grown-up, I love the fantasy world that Jess and Leslie bring to life - I remember having a secret place to play as as a kid, and wonder how many kids nowadays have the imagination to come up with something like that...still not sure why it ends up on so many banned/challenge lists though

message 50: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Cathy wrote: "I was obsessed with Joan Aiken books for a time when I was young and like you I cannot remember much about them exccept that the two you mentyion were favourites! Thanks for the reminder and enjoy!"

Thanks, Cathy! I just finished Black Hearts in Battersea and LOVED it! My new favorite Aiken book. And, bonus, it's also on the "childhood" shelf. (Read my review here.) Now I want to read Nightbirds on Nantucket, but I probably won't get to it this month.

« previous 1