Interracial and African American Paranormal discussion

Reading Challenges > RC #21 - Strange Little Band

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 200 comments I read it a few months ago, so I'd love to participate in the discussion.

What are you thinking so far, Deva?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (spectravel) | 22 comments I also read this book a few months ago and would love discussing it.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:09AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 200 comments I totally agree, Deva.

(view spoiler)

Who would you cast?

I think Zachary Quinto would make a great Shane, and Naomie Harris as Addison. I think the little girl from The Game Plan with the Rock (Madison Pettis) would be a good Ashlynn, and the kid off Heroes as Jake (Noah Gray-Cabey).

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (spectravel) | 22 comments I loved the Spock and Uhura pairing with Quinto in the last Star Trek. Absolutely LOVE IT. Read all the fanfiction I could get last year. Quinto was amazing. I know my husband was being silly but he's been teasing me of late that I was crazy about a pairing with an actor that came out. It didn't bother me but it sort of killed the fantasy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 200 comments Yeah I heard about that. He's sexy, even if he's not interested in women. I loved him as Spock!

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina Ladies, I have been giving this book the side eye for months. I have been hesitant to buy it because I've heard so many things that kinda hint that it is a bit darker than I want to go. But is there an HEA? and HFN? What's the deal? I am so intrigued by it, but I need to prepare myself...LOL.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (spectravel) | 22 comments What's HEA and HFN?

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina Sorry. Happy Ever After or Happy For Now.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 200 comments Pretty much what Deva said. If you're patient, Tina, you'll get your happy ending.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (spectravel) | 22 comments A roller coaster of a ride indeed in relationshipville standards...if there are any :-)

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina Just need to peek in and say, I am so glad you guys convinced me to get this. Ha! Roller-coaster indeed. By all rights I should not like these people, but I am loving them!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 200 comments I'm glad you're enjoying it, Tina.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina I finished it last week. Loved it. 4.5 stars for me.

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina I didn't have a favorite part, per se. I liked the whole vibe of the book. I often wish that romance was less formula and more adventurous. This was definitely that. As a SF romance, it felt very much 'other' in a way not even PNR romances feel.

I wrote in my review of the book that the authors seemed to be gleefully, deliberately coloring outside of the romance lines while still delivering a true romance. I also dug the Romeo & Juliet subtext.

(view spoiler)

I thought the pacing was great and I liked the involvement of the kids.

My biggest negative was the ending. That part felt clumsy. Up to that point I thought the narrative had been pretty tightly plotted with some great plot continuity. But the ending fell apart. As a climax for something that the reader should have been fist-pumping with glee over, it fell short. It was all over the place, too much information shoe-horned in the 11th hour. (view spoiler)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 200 comments My theory on your second spoiler, Tina:

(view spoiler)

My favorite part was actually the kids' POVs. I think this added a very good layer to this book.