Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

News & Current Affairs > Rachel's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Okay mods, I'm not sure where exactly to put this topic, so feel free to delete it or move it if you wish.

Okay, so most of you American members (and maybe some international ones as well) have at least heard about the Columbine High School Massacre. Rachel Joy Scott was the first person killed by the 2 boys who went on a rampage. (Here's a link to more about it if you don't know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbin... )
But anyways, Rachel's father and brother (who was barely spared by Dylan and Eric because they thought he was already dead) looked through Rachel's journals and go around the country spreading the program. It's really cool (here's the official site for it: http://www.rachelschallenge.org/ )

So my question for you is does your school participate? And do you have a Friends of Rachel club?

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments No, my school isn't participating, but that sounds like such a great thing to do! Maybe I'll bring it up to our student council as something to consider.

message 3: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments It's a great program. I haven't officially joined the club since i always seem to have something else I need to do during lunch when the meeting is being held.

message 4: by Kam (new)

Kam (iamwhowhoareyou) | 924 comments Yeah! they have it at my school! Im actually the grade president for our Friends of Rachel club. We meet after-school, so its convenient.

message 5: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 43 comments Our school does Rachel's Challenge and there even a club for it. Rachel's Challenge is one the most inspiring story I have ever heard, even if it is sad.

message 6: by Kam (new)

Kam (iamwhowhoareyou) | 924 comments ^^i totally agree with that. :)

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (hungergamesfan1) | 12 comments it's so sad that someone(some people) would do that!
:o:(

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicoleisahmazing) | 5 comments James wrote: "Our school does Rachel's Challenge and there even a club for it. Rachel's Challenge is one the most inspiring story I have ever heard, even if it is sad."

yeah i agree with you. i had to watch a video about her and i had tears in my eyes

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

No, my school does not participate in it.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 33 comments No my school doesn't participate in it. I don't think anyone at my school has even heard of it before.

message 11: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (pineappleperson) | 61 comments our school doesn't participate i don't even think any has heard about it

message 12: by Kal G (new)

Kal G I've never heard about this!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Heneghan (kateheneghan) | 3 comments My school actually started the club about two years ago. I was in it my last year of middle school and ended up winning the FOR award for showing kindness in the school and stuff c:

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (fh4eva) | 3 comments My school just started this last year. I think it is a great cause and will really help my school become a better environment

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Well no. I've never even heard of this. I'm starting a new school next year. I was thinking about bringing a different club to the school but now I have to think about this one too! Or maybe even both!!!

message 16: by Soumya (new)

Soumya I don't think my school does it. I never heard of this challenge, but I did hear about the massacre.

This isn't about Rachel's Challenge, but it is about the Columbine High School Massacre. If you guys don't know, there is a band composition piece called An American Elegy which was composed in memory of those who lost their lives during the massacre. It's really touching. If you guys want to hear it, type An American Elegy by Frank Ticheli in you tube.

message 17: by Ethan (new)

Ethan (thetwelfthdoctor) | 3658 comments my school did rachel's challenge. it was really cool.

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Jocks | 19 comments Yeah we had this going around in our school! Its a great program! I loved it. I actually cried! But we did so much and made a little difference! By little, i mean we changed some people cold hearts but for others we didnt!

message 19: by Brooklynn (new)

Brooklynn s.. | 420 comments The program came to my school last year and we participated and did the Rachels challenge!:) It was cool:)

♥Booknerdswift♥ | 24 comments the elementary school does, the high scool doesn't.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 2 comments My school does the Rachels Challenge! It was so fun:)

message 22: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisemae) | 62 comments Our school does a huge presentation, then we have a fundraiser walk

♔ InfiniteRoyalty ♔  (infiniteroyalty) | 42 comments that is honestly an amazing program...If Rachel's challenge were available in Australia, I would so suggest it :)

message 24: by Claire (new)

Claire Borges (claireborges) | 12 comments what exactly is it?