Love Inspired Historicals discussion

I just heard Harper Collins is taking over Thomas Nelson

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4948 comments HarperCollins Publishers today announced it is to take over Thomas Nelson.

A subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., HarperCollins said in a surprise statement that it had “entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Thomas Nelson Inc. for an undisclosed sum.” The acquisition, which is expected to close by the end of the calendar year, is “subject to regulatory clearances and other customary closing conditions,” the company said.

No details of the terms were disclosed, nor was there any initial indication of how Thomas Nelson will fit under its new owner, also the parent company of Zondervan.

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Wow!

message 3: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
Wow is right!

message 4: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) I'm curious (and, I admit, a little concerned) how that's going to affect both TN and Zondervan authors. That's a huge deal ($-wise).

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4948 comments I see from one report they already own Zondervan. With Rupert Murdoch you cant be sure what will happen.

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbygaines) | 24 comments Interesting!

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Wow, again. I wonder what it will mean for authors AND readers (ie, will their be editorial changes? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?). If anyone finds out more, I hope they let us all know.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I heard that rumor at the bookstore I work at because we were talking about the publishing houses for certain versions of the bible and how they changed due to certain demands made by business people. Sad to see how it affects the text of the Bible...not surprised they got Thomas Nelson. It has been in the works for awhile, I believe.

message 9: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Yes, this was an eye-opener. One thing about acquisitions or mergers--people lose jobs; authors' contracts get axed. OUCH.

message 10: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Oh I hope not, I think I saw on FB an author said it would make no difference.

message 11: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mitzi_wanham) | 64 comments i was also wondering how it will affect buyers (smaller accounts) and book reviewers...So many things to take into account. Yes, Lyn, and authors' contracts!

message 12: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Lyn -- I was worried about authors, too, and the editors as well. Hopefully, your FB source is accurate, Paula.