College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I was thinking of letting my niece and nephews try it. They would have to write it down or tell me the story and I would have to type it, but the one especially has a huge imagination. It would be fun for them to do. I just don't know if they would allow it. They are all under 13, but with me being the one typing and submitting, I wonder. What do you think?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Hooray for NaNo!

Tami, I think that's a great idea. It's not a very traditional NaNo way to do it but NaNo itself isn't exactly a traditional idea :-) I first did NaNo when I was 12 so it really doesn't matter if you are under 13 - plus it's not like there are actual awards or anything like that where they have to be older to win. You should take a look at their young writers program for ideas and tips.

This will be my 11th year of NaNo - and I think it's going to be the best one yet! I don't have a super fantastic plot line but I AM excited because I am going to the Night of Writing Dangerously this year! My good friend and I are making the travel up to San Fran and we're going to spend all of our time in coffee shops and exploring and visiting and - ah! It'll be wonderful. :-)

Good luck to all of you participating! And if you are still interested it's not too late to start! My first year I started on November 4 and still managed to finish a couple days before the end of the month!

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Anyone participating this year?

message 4: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
That is funny. I have thoughts for stories but never really considered actually trying to write one. Maybe one of these days.......but probably not. Hope your ideas return!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Yup, I'm at it again! This is going to be my 12th year - my novel is basically writing itself this year which is great. Tami - you should give it a try. That's exactly what NaNo is for - it turns "Maybe one of these days" into "today" :-)

message 6: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Is anyone doing it this year? My niece is 6 and in first grade. They have to write short stories and the teacher doesn't help them in spelling or ideas or anything. Hers get a little crazy, but she loves doing it. AND she told me last week, she is going to write a book!

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) I'm at it again for year 13 :) I'm a little behind right now, but it's trucking along. I love that students are doing this in school. SUCH a good idea.

message 8: by Merc (last edited Nov 18, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) I had all the plans to do it this year and was so excited but I found myself putting the actual writing of the story on hold. I am now at the point to where the idea/inspiration has slipped from me. But, it isn't all bad. I have been "inspired" to start keeping a journal on me so this doesn't happen again.

I use to keep one on me in HS but I left it on the bus and haven't gotten over that until today. Lol.

PS. I heard of it being used in classrooms and recall doing it in class myself. It's a great idea. To have a month where you just write and aren't told of what to write? And then the timing is great because you had all those other months to stock up on a wide range of reading material (depending on the type of teacher/teaching there is going on)... when you're told to write after all that exporsure it's hard to be without a single idea. You know how many times I have rewritten Little Red Riding Hood? Lol.

message 9: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Anyone tackling this? One of my friends from highschool mentioned it on Facebook the other day. I am still trying to pretend it isn't November already, but I guess it is. :)