Shakespeare Fans discussion

Anyone About?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2638 comments Mod
Hi...been kinda quiet around here...anyone reading anything interesting? Any good movies?

anyone see "anonymous" and if so....feel like writing a review?

message 2: by Lucinda (last edited Nov 13, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Lucinda Elliot (lucindaelliot) | 583 comments Hi, Candy, Sorry it's taken so long to spot your post, been up to my eyes...

At the moment, there is only me about, and Martin is still sending me the DVD's of the BBC Shakespeare versions. I hope he reads this...

I've just seen the BBC version of 'The Comedy of Errors'and I thought the casting was highly appropriate, they hadn't asked the leading men to play roles half their age as they did for 'A Winter's Tale' and 'Troilus and Cressida'. I can't say I recognised any of the actors though my ignorance is limitless but they were very good and the whole thing was entertaining, though as I have to admit that this is one of the plays I haven't read, I found it confusing.
Very voluptuous women in it in very low cut dresses (don't know how the male actors kept their eyes on their faces). The costumes seemed to be a strange medley, but it worked anyway. A lot of knockabout humour in it, typical of Shakespeare's robust comedy, the servant getting a regular clout etc.
Lovely to hear from you, anyway, Candy!

Hast thou read Tillyard by the light of thy candle?

Jessica

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (danmaftei) | 37 comments Hi Candy! It's been a while...

My girlfriend told me about Anonymous. She liked the costumes, which she does have an eye for. ^_^

I gorged on Shakespeare for a year (and ~15 plays...) upon discovering him, and since then I've quieted down. But I never read Lear, and would like to. I see we've got a short discussion thread on him, but not a group reading. Maybe we can garner some interest?

I recently read: Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," whose era captivated me. There's a lot to like, and a few things worth great critique. Then, Muriel Spark's "The Driver's Seat," which was a short romp, and that's about all I can say of it. Enjoyable! I've just finished Margaret Atwood's "The Penelopiad," which was... well, worth a good mulling over. I think I most enjoy seeing other people's critiques of it, which I find very questionable!

Cheers
Dan