Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) Ender's Game discussion

Ender's Game movie coming out

Comments Showing 1-50 of 237 (237 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Elia So, there is talk that an Ender's Game movie is in the works and will be released in May of 2013. So far no cast has been decided, but there is talk that it will be directed by Gavin Hood, who directed X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
So, if this movie comes out, who would be your dream cast? Would yo go see it? What would be your biggest concerns (things you think HAVE to be included, things you think they might mess up)?

Audrey Lee I've heard this rumor for a long time. This is one of my favorite books of all time. I think I'd probably go see it even it sounded like they were ruining it. I hope they don't. I think my dream cast would be a bunch of unknown kids. And they'd have to actually be kids.

Kataury It's true, rumors continue to flow about a movie coming out every year. It's all just a big joke. If I remember correctly, the author didn't want a movie made out of his book... Though I could be wrong.

Michael T Macaulay Culkin as Ender

Andrew It's a terrible book so I envisage a straight to DVD flop.

Elia Kataury wrote: "It's true, rumors continue to flow about a movie coming out every year. It's all just a big joke. If I remember correctly, the author didn't want a movie made out of his book... Though I could be w..."

It's for real. They have signed the director, and they are in the process of casting. It even has a fairly firm release date. Of course, there are countless movies that do get made and then never released, so who knows if it really will come OUT, but it will be MADE at any rate.

Emtee Michael wrote: "Macaulay Culkin as Ender"

/facepalm

Elia Emtee wrote: "Michael wrote: "Macaulay Culkin as Ender"

/facepalm"

I second that. He's like 20 years too old.

Emtee Not only that, but I couldn't take him seriously as anything nowadays. Does he even work?

message 10: by Elia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elia Emtee wrote: "Not only that, but I couldn't take him seriously as anything nowadays. Does he even work?"

Does he even NEED to? He's filthy rich. But yeah, he does indie films mostly. And dates hot chicks. But that's not really work.

message 11: by Emtee (last edited Nov 01, 2011 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emtee At 31yo... I'm pretty sure he's past his 'best before date' for a child's role.

I'm pretty sure that if he chose to act again, it's not going to be as a child.

Because, let's face it... he is filthy rich. He can be choosy.

Btw, I agree with Audrey, they should be unknowns. Fresh faces. Good actors. Win.

Michael T Are you trying to say Nicole Kidman cannot be Ender's sister?

Jeremy Whatley the book was soo good cant wait for the movie!!

Jeremy Whatley Saxon wrote: "Andrew wrote: "It's a terrible book so I envisage a straight to DVD flop."

This fellow is obviously incapable of reading past a Grade 1 level."

hahahahahahah!

Michael T Gentile Andrew should be playing halo, that's where his insults belong.

message 16: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Schultz Card has said previously that he would only agree to have the movie made if he was sure it would be done right. If that ends up being the case, I have high hopes.

Michael T Tim wrote: "Card has said previously that he would only agree to have the movie made if he was sure it would be done right. If that ends up being the case, I have high hopes."

The sexiest word is Hollywood is "no."

Micah If it ever comes out, it will not be the same. Finding child actors is hard enough, and changing the age of ender would defeat the point

Emtee Well, if they would choose by acting abilities and not how 'cute' they were... it would open the market up.

Susan I'd heard from someone that Card would absolutely veto any attempt to change Ender's age for a movie. If there's really a movie in the works, I think we'll see a child actor, age-appropriate to be Ender. Like most movies made into books, it could be terrible or wonderful. I hope for the latter.

Griselle Santos man, I would have to re-read the book again. it's been a while. But I love the posts. :)

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Honestly, they should have gotten the guys who did the Sci Fi mini of Dune to touch this project with more funding. At least then, we could be sure that they at least -tried- to keep with the book.

Bookwyrm13 its in casting from what i could gather from IMDB

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The cast would have to be complete unknowns. They would need to be people we have not even seen in commercials for diapers or the cute kids in theme park commercials. If any of the kids had an established persona, it would get in the way of the story.

Of all the child stars who are now too old to play the part, but who would have been good at the right age I think should play Ender is the kid who was in ET and whose name I have forgotten.

Aurora Haley Joel Osmet from when he was in Sixth Sense. Too bad he's older now.

Aurora According to Wikipedia, he release a script in 2003. Last April, Summit Entertainment got rights to make the film. A few weeks ago they released a release date of mid-March.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Just make sure whoever they get to play those kids aren't traumatized for life by the roles...Peter and Ender first of all, but yikes, those books get really brutal...

Peter Boland Oh man, I hope it's true. That book is a must-read. I agree, an unknown actor would be better, then they don't come with all those preconceptions. Although, knowing Hollywood, they'll probably cast some floppy haired lady boy

message 29: by S.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.G. Rainbolt To pull it off you need one blockbuster star to play a reoccurring role. HOWEVER, I do believe it should be open auditions for the roles such as Andrew. Take a no-name boy and build a trilogy out of it. Remember, Andrew was really based on OSC's son. I'm sure he going to want to find one that looked like him at that age. @Pete, I don't think they'll go girl for Andrew. I do believe OSC wants more than one film - it would be ruined with lady puberty. I hope they actually do the film - they've been talking about it for 5+ years. I understand OSC didn't like the original script and had to wait out the end of the contract before soliciting others.

message 30: by S.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.G. Rainbolt Saxon wrote: "Andrew wrote: "It's a terrible book so I envisage a straight to DVD flop."

This fellow is obviously incapable of reading past a Grade 1 level."

I agree it will not be a flop - OSC and the series is well known... smell blockbuster-perfect

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't remember the character's name, but there is an adult who drives the project. I could picture Hugh Laurie, complete with limp, in that role. Or to do a completely different take on that character someone as smooth as the guy who played "Angel" in the Buffy series or the guy who played the captain on Firefly or for a more sinister look at that character, the doctor from "Fringe".

Bob Cherny

message 32: by Tim (last edited Nov 10, 2011 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Schultz Robert wrote: "I don't remember the character's name, but there is an adult who drives the project. I could picture Hugh Laurie, complete with limp, in that role. Or to do a completely different take on that char..."

I agree, either Nathan Fillion or Hugh Laurie would make a great Col. Graff (the commandant of Battle School who is in charge of Ender's training.) He comes off as very gruff and sardonic. A smooth and polished actor would be better for his subordinate, Major Anderson.

Solenoid Chloe Mortez in drag as everybody. (The one who played hit girl.)

Devin It all comes down to the director. The wrong director won't be able to deliver the correct feel that the book had. If the post about it being the guy that did the Wolverine movies is true then it will be a very sad day for the Ender saga.

message 35: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan This movie is for real, and has some real talent doing the casting. Check it out on IMDB. Also, the cast of the Potter films featured then unknowns. They did fine. Same with Narnia. There are plenty of kids 9-13 who can act. Just hope we don't have to go to Britain to find them, though Ender with a British accent would not be that far a stretch.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Devin, I completely agree.

Jacqueline Turner Banks I thought Enders family was Asian? I'm I confusing it with another book?

message 38: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz I'm checking for the latest on imdb- I think it could be a great movie!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Jacqueline wrote: "I thought Enders family was Asian? I'm I confusing it with another book?"

Oh, I always wondered if they were black, but I'm not sure. :P I don't think it specifies...

Kataury All that's specified is their religion, his mom was Mormon and his dad was Catholic.

Gerald Camp I'd like to see this as a ten year franchise like the Potter movies. They need some really great kid actors like the ones they found for Potter who can age into the older Ender, Bean, Valentine, Peter etc. And don't worry too much about the director; remember, the Potter films had three different directors over the series, yet the flow from one to the other was very smooth. Could be the greatest sf series in history! Let's hope!

Taryn Card himself wrote about the movie being a go, and that they are working on hiring no-name actors to be in it. Spring 2013 is a maybe.

message 43: by Elia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elia Gerald wrote: "I'd like to see this as a ten year franchise like the Potter movies. They need some really great kid actors like the ones they found for Potter who can age into the older Ender, Bean, Valentine, Pe..."

But, to do this they would have to release them in order of chronology, not in the order the books were published, since the second book that came out was Speaker for the Dead and Ender was like in his 30's in that book.

Debbie Michael wrote: "Macaulay Culkin as Ender"

He is WAY too old, Ender is a kid Culkin is an adult. If you were going to do a series covering the books, you would need different actors for the different ages of Ender.

Debbie Jacqueline wrote: "I thought Enders family was Asian? I'm I confusing it with another book?"

Ender was from the USA, the midwest, I think.

Gerald Camp Debbie wrote: "Michael wrote: "Macaulay Culkin as Ender"

He is WAY too old, Ender is a kid Culkin is an adult. If you were going to do a series covering the books, you would need different actors for the diffe..."

Or the same actors growing up with the series like the Harry Potter films.

aPriL does feral sometimes All I care about is that the film makers don't mess this up. Omg, but they better NOT MESS THIS ONE UP!!!!! I'm still mad at Lucas.

message 48: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Ender was based off of Card's son, so I would think the family was Caucasian from the Midwest.

message 49: by Noor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noor Jahangir I loved the book. Its one of the few that I gave 5 stars to, but I'm not sure it should be made into a movie. But if they do, I think they should get a different director to head it up. Maybe David Fincher or Ang Lee?

Devin I also had Fincher in mind. Jean-Pierre Jeunet or Nicolas Winding Refn(maybe). I am going to have to disagree with the Ang Lee idea though. I just don't see how he would be able to fit a dove seen in space. Also, a few years ago there was a rumor that Wolfgang Peterson was going to direct. That scared the hell out of me.

« previous 1 3 4 5