Pick-a-Shelf discussion

ROAR - 2011 Challenge > 11 - November ROAR

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8581 comments Mod
1. Mini SAT: 50 points when you have read off the following 12 shelves (with 5 books or less):

suspense
christian
modern-fiction
travel
theology
vampires
series
drama
film
sports
cookbooks

2. 30 points: Read around the world:
Read a book written by an author from or where it is mostly set in a country of your choosing but... your choice for this month is limited to a country where the first initial starts with the letters f, g, h, i, j
Use only this List of Countries for this challenge

3. 20 Points: Winner of You Choose, Karen (of the Bookworm): St Andrews Day is 30 Nov (being Scotland's patron saint)

Read a book by Scottish writer / set in Scotland / with a Scottish main character / involving golf

4. Thanksgiving: For 20 points, read books:
a. Set / written in the 16th century (arguably first documented thanksgiving feasts conducted by Spaniards – Wikipedia)
b. Family-focused books either fiction / non-fiction
c. Which has (cooked) food on cover / name of (cooked) food in title (eg. Roast turkey, any types of cakes / cookies, sushi, etc)
d. Which has (fresh / uncooked) food on cover / name of (fresh / uncooked) food on cover (eg. Pumpkins, corns, strawberries, etc)
e. Which has the word ‘thank’ or ‘give’ in title (plurals, variables etc accepted, eg. Thanks for the Memories; The Giver: The Giver 1, etc)

You can choose to read one book from each of above options or 5 books from one of above options or combination.

5. International Men’s Day (/ Movember in OZ): for 25 points, read books:
In 2011 the theme for international Men's Day is 'boys' with the title, “Giving Boys The Best Possible Start In Life”. This theme asks people around the world to focus on five key challenges that boys all over the world experience in areas of health, education, family life, violence and life choices and to consider local solutions to the global problems that boys face.
a. Have at least one man with facial hair on cover
b. Have word of either ‘boys’ / ‘best’ / ‘possible’ / ‘start’ / ‘life’ in title
c. Have a male main character but written by a female, for example The Secret River, a Hercule Poirot mystery, etc
d. Classified as “coming of age” (ie. on the GR book page, ‘coming of age’ must be shown as one of the top shelves) but only for male characters, for example The Catcher in the Rye, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, etc
e. Ask a man in your life to recommend a book (could be father / brother / son / best friend etc)

You can choose to read one book from each of above options or 5 books from one of above options or combination.

message 2: by Tien (new)

We will be skipping the mid-month challenge this month to accomodate the holiday season as we will instead post the December ROAR...

Yay!! We're close to the end... Congrats for all those who have kept up so far - fantastic reading! Big "pat on the back" for all who have participated. Not long to go ;)

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2568 comments and of course, I just finished up a book that had life in the title last night!! lol!!

message 4: by Tien (new)

oh no! That's a sign that you're reading too fast, Dee. ha ha ha

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2568 comments i had to get it read, it was for a challenge that ends today...lol! oh wells!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3439 comments Mod
Wow! This is going to be a tough one to do with only 4 books. Interesting challenge -- maybe vampires & sports? theological cookbooks? :)

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3439 comments Mod
Is it just me? I'm not seeing either the November quotes page OR the October reporting page. And since they're usually put up by two different people, it shouldn't be that someone's out of town or feeling sick. It makes me think I'm looking in the wrong place. Has anyone else found either of them?

message 8: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "Wow! This is going to be a tough one to do with only 4 books. Interesting challenge -- maybe vampires & sports? theological cookbooks? :)"

ha ha ha... I know, this might take up to 5 books! At first, I randomly split the shelves for the game but then I realised that might not quite work so I did test them (not too strenously, I might add, so you just may be able to do it with less than 5)

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments For task 3 (Scotland), can a book concerning golf be based anywhere? Here are two I'm considering, but I don't want to start reading either if they don't fit the category:

Miracle on the 17th Green: A Novel about Life, Love, Family, Miracles ... and Golf

The Back Nine

message 10: by Tien (new)

Amy wrote: "For task 3 (Scotland), can a book concerning golf be based anywhere? Here are two I'm considering, but I don't want to start reading either if they don't fit the category:

[book:Miracle on the 17t..."

Oh, I'm going to leave it up to Lynne to respond since "golf" was her thing.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments Kazza wrote: "Amy wrote: "For task 3 (Scotland), can a book concerning golf be based anywhere? Here are two I'm considering, but I don't want to start reading either if they don't fit the category:

[book:Miracl..."

Any word from Lynne yet on the golf issue?

message 12: by Tien (new)

Sorry Amy, I think I got distracted last time and forgot to send a message to Lynne but I've sent her a message now. Hopefully, she'd respond soon :)

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments Kazza wrote: "Sorry Amy, I think I got distracted last time and forgot to send a message to Lynne but I've sent her a message now. Hopefully, she'd respond soon :)"

Thanks, Karen!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Is there going to be a November reporting thread or are we saving it all for the end now it's so close?

message 15: by Tien (new)

Sorry, Sam, I should have made an announcement or something. Since Dec tasks are out & people are reading / claiming points for Dec too, I was just going to wait for end of year to close off - final reporting :)

How exciting, I can't believe the year is coming to end already! How time flies...

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Kazza wrote: "Sorry, Sam, I should have made an announcement or something. Since Dec tasks are out & people are reading / claiming points for Dec too, I was just going to wait for end of year to close off - fin..."

No problem Kazza, I thought that might be the case but my OCD-ness insisted I check!

Can't wait to see how everyone has done, it's been a brilliant challenge :-)

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments Kazza wrote: "Sorry Amy, I think I got distracted last time and forgot to send a message to Lynne but I've sent her a message now. Hopefully, she'd respond soon :)"

Any word from Lynne yet? The golf books I listed in my earlier post (November 23) are due at the library soon. Thanks!

message 18: by Tien (new)

Amy, looks like Lynne hasn't been in GR for a bit so... I'll make the executive decision that as long as those books involved golf in a major way then yes, you can claim points.

Cheers, K

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments Kazza wrote: "Amy, looks like Lynne hasn't been in GR for a bit so... I'll make the executive decision that as long as those books involved golf in a major way then yes, you can claim points.

Cheers, K"

Thanks for the quick reply, Karen. Both books are centered around golf, so I am good to go.

message 20: by Tien (new)

my pleasure... hope you get to finish reading them before they're due back!

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments Question regarding J.K. Rowling. Would she be considered a Scottish author? She was born in England, but has lived in Scotland a good part of her life. When searching for Scottish authors I found her listed, but wanted to get an official ruling. Thanks!

message 22: by Tien (new)

Amy wrote: "Question regarding J.K. Rowling. Would she be considered a Scottish author? She was born in England, but has lived in Scotland a good part of her life. When searching for Scottish authors I found h..."

I would say so, yes, Amy.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments Kazza wrote: "Amy wrote: "Question regarding J.K. Rowling. Would she be considered a Scottish author? She was born in England, but has lived in Scotland a good part of her life. When searching for Scottish autho..."

I love you more every day, Karen...LOL One less book to read to finish my ROAR by the end of the year.

message 24: by Tien (new)

Awww, I love you too :)

And Congrats on nearly finishing ROAR! I fell off the wagon ages ago :( and couldn't get back on, whoops!

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2568 comments i'm not going to finish, but by damn, i'm going to have fun doing it!!

message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4515 comments Mod
I'm still plugging away at ROAR, but I certainly did lose the steam as I got closer to the end! But, then I was never a serious contender starting in mid year. Maybe, I will do better next year. (A girl can always hope.)

message 27: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments ROAR kinda fell to the wayside for me for most of the year. Been trying to redeem myself in the couple months before it ends. Would love to try again next year if there's a ROAR 2012 :)