Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's October

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments My best in months!

To Darkness and to Death Julia Spencer-Fleming. (5/5) The high quality of this series continues. I had just written a review about not liking 24-hour plots but this one was just fine. I thought the interlocking pieces of the events, including the opening mystery, were extremely well done. I shed a tear at the end, but the ending seemed appropriate. I don't know how JSP came up with it. The Russ and Clare march continues...

Corduroy Mansions: A Novel by Alexander McCall Smith (4/5) This started slowly, and I had reservations based on similar character types to both the Sunday Philosophy Club series and the 44 Scotland Street series. But before long I got caught up in the characters, their thoughts, and their minds. I couldn't put the book down until I found out how each of their “adventures” turned out.

Bossypants by Tina Fey. (4/5) I love Tina Fey. Hearing her read this book was a treat, with more than a few laugh out loud moments. To tell you the truth my mind wandered during the opening chapters as she covered her childhood, but the minute she hit adulthood and Second City in Chicago I was all ears. This was a quick, satisfying read, especially if you are a fan of SNL.

Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter (3/5). I never listen to abridged audios but downloaded this from audible.com before I realized it. Since I was about to begin working my way through the series I didn't want to dump it. So I thought of it as an experiment, one which ultimately confirmed my suspicion that these are lacking. Having watched much of the televised Morse and Lewis programs, the main characters and format of this British police procedural were familiar, but the plot seemed jumpy. The denouement which included a soliloquy by Morse in which All Was Revealed, was unsatisfactory, and included some details that the reader had not been privvy to, resulting in a bit of a "gotcha, reader" moment. I will assume that the jumpiness of the plot development was because some key components were omitted in the abridged version, or maybe Dexter was just not that good at the start. I plan to continue with the series (unabridged audio or print only). Here's hoping these earlier stories are available in those formats. The only reason I’m giving this a 3 rather than a 2 is because I’m assuming at least some of the problems with the plot were due to abridging.

Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues by Michael Brandman. (3/5) While reading this I was constantly assessing how well the new author was doing continuing the legacy. I can't say I could tell where the difference was, but the book had a couple of moments that didn't quite ring true. Still, overall I think Brandman continues the spirit of the series ... short, not-too-deep crime stories squeezed in between Jesse's battles with his personal demons. In this one Jesse goes after a car theft ring while being targetted by someone from his past.

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane. (4/5) (10/9/11). I started this almost a year ago and stopped before it really got going. Determined to clear out some of my owned books, I picked it back up and never looked back. This was a fascinating follow-up... so interesting to see what Patrick and Angie made of their lives. The continuation of the Amanda story was over-the-top but I couldn't put it down once it kicked in. I think we can now happily let them all go off into the sunset...

Shock Wave by John Sandford. (5/5) 10/12/11. This was a delight from start to finish. The humor in the Sandford Minnesota cops series is what keeps me pushing these to the top of my TBR whenever they are released. In this one Virgil is brought in to investigate a bomb that has gone off in the boardroom of a Walmart-like company. He brings his usual unconventional methods to the investigation and slowly circles around until he nails the perpetrator. Plenty of twists, interesting characters, and misdirections keeps this one motoring along to the conclusion. I can't WAIT until the next Sandford comes out, may he keep writing for another twenty years.

The Affair by Lee Child. (4/5) 10/21/11. I thoroughly enjoyed this prequel. It kept me guessing throughout. It was fun to meet up with Reacher and others from his military past that we’ve encountered in other stories. One minor quibble: if I had a dollar for every time Reacher said "I said nothing." (to indicate his continued silence in the face of verbal attack) I'd be a rich woman. It really stood out in the audio. The audible.com audio was followed by the short story The Second Son, a prequel to the prequel that took place when Reacher was 13. I found him to be just a little too Reacher-like to be believable for 13, I’ll be curious to see what others think. Good story, though.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3568 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "My best in months!

To Darkness and to Death Julia Spencer-Fleming. (5/5) The high quality of this series continues. I had just written a review about not liking 24-hour plots but t..."

wow, carol! i am impressed by the quantity- not to mention quality!- of your reads this past month. wtg!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14197 comments Carol: I am looking forward to reading Bossypants and The Affair too; and must agree with you about Moonlight Mile (it was really good to catch back up with Patrick and Angie) and Robert B Parker's Killing the Blues (there were a few subtle moments where you knew it wasn't RBP writing, though another good book and glad to still have the series).

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "My best in months!"

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2940 comments That was an impressive month. I'm glad you loved Bossypants. Tina Fey is one of the comic geniuses of our times.

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Great month, Carol! I also really enjoyed Bossypants and love Russ and Clare.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments For whatever reason I have never taken to the Inspector Morse series. I have read the first three books but don't feel compelled to read the next book anytime soon.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments Woo Hoo!! You GO, girl!!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14197 comments Barry - I must agree, Tina Fey is a comic genius in my book too.
Barry wrote: "That was an impressive month. I'm glad you loved Bossypants. Tina Fey is one of the comic geniuses of our times."

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments She was recently awarded the Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for humor and I missed the televised program, which is always a hoot. I just went looking an was delighted to find it in its entirety (90 min.) on the PBS website. http://video.pbs.org/video/1642947954/

Ann wrote: "Barry - I must agree, Tina Fey is a comic genius in my book too.
Barry wrote: "That was an impressive month. I'm glad you loved Bossypants. Tina Fey is one of the comic geniuses of our times.""

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14197 comments wow, thanks, Carol!!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "She was recently awarded the Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for humor and I missed the televised program, which is always a hoot. I just went looking an was delighted to find it in its entirety (..."