Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Star
Book Club Discussions > November 2011: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss November's regular group read The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson.

Please mark spoilers.

Enjoy!

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I loved this book. I really couldn't put it down. I think it is a really promising start to what will undoubtedly prove to be a very popular series. If you've read Maureen's books before, know that this is a huge departure from her other ones. Definitely my favorite. You can read my full review (spoiler-free) and also enter my giveaway for this book at http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/10/....

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann | 88 comments I also loved it. (And for those of you who enjoy listening to audiobooks, can I just say that the narrator on the audiobook version is absolutely fabulous! I lost track of the sheer number of accents she pulls off seamlessly.)

I thought the characters made sense in terms of the story, and I liked that the Ripper had a certain sort of mad logic behind what he was doing and why. My only quibble there is why he waited so long to do it. (view spoiler)

I can't wait for the next in the series, especially considering the implications of the last chapter. I'm sad that the next book will apparently take place in Bristol, though, because I loved the London characters so much.

Maree | 233 comments I'm sure the London characters will visit, Ann. :)

I liked it and it was a good story, with the world and all, but I didn't like how (view spoiler) I also didn't understand that there were only three of the terminus until the end, which also seems silly. They know how to make them, why not make more?

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann | 88 comments As I said in my comment, I rationalized that by deciding that the Copycat is clearly insane anyway, so if he thinks the London Shades have them all, that doesn't make it true.

And I just realized that the series is called the London Shades, so now I feel better than we'll see more of those characters. Hooray!

Maree | 233 comments Well, it seemed to me that the London Shades seemed to think they had them all as well, but maybe not. So yeah, who knows what the Americans use.

Cristen | 135 comments I liked this book, very witty writing (though I have to agree with Maree reagrding the issue with the terminus). I'll be sure to read the next one, especially with that ending!

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I also truly enjoyed this book. I think what impressed me most was how the author took time to truly make the characters live and vivid, including the protagonist as well as the antagonist. In some ways you could even have felt some empathy for the antagonist although this was not revealed until the end of the book.

I particularly liked the Shades. I spent several years reading mysteries, not to mention being married to a cop. So, I found this idea really intriguiing (and so did he).

I truly liked the idea of the terminus. This was set up early in the book about the diamonds. Then there was the mention of Boo having two cell phones. I think the idea of the terminus was not only a logical plot/action move, but also an interesting way of incorporating modern technology into the story line.

Overall, I highly recommended this book.

Mary (merinwe) Just joined the group!

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I went into it knowing next to nothing about it (I thought this was simply a thriller, so imagine my surprise when ghosts showed up!), so I really couldn't predict the plot twists, which made the book all the more enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to the next book and might look into more from the author.

Maree | 233 comments Welcome, Mary! I tend to enjoy picking up a book (especially these group reads) without knowing what they're about. I was slowing coming to the conclusion that this wasn't all going to be normal world just before the ghost reveal too.

Brandi (librandian) | 206 comments I really enjoyed this book. I had previously read The Diviners by Libba Bray and I would definitely say The Name of the Star would be a great readalike.

I almost enjoyed the supporting characters more than Rory. Alaister is by far my favorite. If I were a ghost, I would totally hang around the library and read everything.

I'm glad there's a sequel because the relationships seem a bit open-ended. There was little closure.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Name of the Star (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maureen Johnson (other topics)