Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's October

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments I'm amazed that I got anything read on my 80 hour per week night shift schedule. I should go back to my usual slothful ways in about 2 weeks.

The Affair: Lee Child
Reacher’s last case in the army before he was surplussed out. I suppose this is one way to avoid aging him. This is a very violent, very smart Reacher. It did not help me that the phrase “back of beyond” was sued at least 5 times, and I had just read the CJ Box. (B+)

The Drop: Michael Connelly
Harry Bosch is always best when left to be himself. This book gives us the rae Harry solving the case, and the softer Harry dealing with a teen daughter and trying to decide how and with who to have a relationship. It works, and the various elements of the story weave together well. (A-)

Shock Wave: John Sanford
A Virgil Flowers book with all the right elements, a mystery/procedural that is unravelled like you would unroll a ball of yarn, the trademark humor, and linear plotting to catch a well hidden bad guy. There were even a few interesting twists to the tale. (B+)

The Killing Song: PJ Parrish
A stand alone. One of those serial killers you have to love, because he leaves behind brilliant clues, just daring the right investigator to figure out what he means. The police are baffled, but when reporter’s sister is killed, he undertakes a worldwide quest to find th answers, and grows up in the process. (B+)

Back of Beyond: CJ Box
A stand alone, but Box produces another pathetic loser who, when seeing a wrong, just cannot let go. His choices here were to solve the crime or die. (and is it any less of a cozy if it takes place in Yosemite rather than a living room?) (B)

Ghost Hero: SJ Rozan
Rozan worked overtime on literary references in this one, and she hits it all from classical poetry to modern rock. Still, I had the feeling she was trying too hard, and for all that clicked, I would not rate this one of her best. In particular, too much of the pot could be seen coming from a mile away, and her introduction of another Asian male to add conflict with Bill did not completely work. Bottom line though- a fun book worth reading. (B)

Capture: Robert Tannenbaum
The Karp family has taken on the air of “Perils of Pauline” with a court case as the frame for the story, but spies, terrorists and other shenanigans occupying vast swaths of the books. No longer believable at all, but fun anyway. (B)

Spellman’s Strike Again: Lisa Lutz
Lutz just might be the best caper writer writing today. Strike Agan is the last of the Spellman Chronicles that are available, but there is a good chance her next book will continue the series. If not, this book certainly had an air of finality about it. (B+)

Kill me if you Can: Karp/Patterson
I long ago swore off Patterson, but I love Karp, so the dilemma here was do I buy a Patterson that was “co-written” by Karp? Obviously I did, and as I suspected, the book was very much a Karp in Patterson’s clothing. Not as funny as a standard Karp, but he is friends with Patterson, so I hope this effort to make him more popular works. (B)

Victory and Honor: WEB Griffin
WW2 ends and the stage is set for conflict with the Russians. Too bad Griffin’s son is not half the writer he is. (B)

Side by Side: John Ramsey Miller
Part of a pile of books from a yard sale at about a dime each. Very standard thriller with a few twists tossed in, along with some predictability. (B)

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Looks like a good month, Barry - except for the 80hrs/wk work part that is! I'd be falling asleep in my food and forget about reading. Glad to hear you enjoyed The Drop. I just love Harry.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Good month,Barry. I agree with you about Shock Wave and The Affair.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Barry: great month! So many of these are on my wish list or tbr. I almost started Ghost Hero this week and am eager for the new Connelly, Child and Lutz books!

message 5: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Wow, such a good list of reads and to do it working an 80 hr. work week.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Boy, I remember those 80 and 96 hours week!! Nearly killed me. I could have never gotten the reading done that you did back in those days!

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments I don;t know how I did it these days. My month was one of waking, reading a bit, going to work, coming home, reading a bit and going to sleep. Every few days I do laundry so I can stay in "uniform" (Khaki pants and a blue shirt).

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Wow, you really had a month of great books! Now I'm really anxious for my turn with The Drop

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Barry - re how you read so much while working 80 hour weeks... Maybe it is all the time you saved not worrying what to wear? LOL
Barry wrote: "I don't know how I did it these days. My month was one of waking, reading a bit, going to work, coming home, reading a bit and going to sleep. Every few days I do laundry so I can stay in "uniform" (Khaki pants and a blue shirt). "

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Way to ruin my "What are you wearing?" calls....

Barry wrote: "Every few days I do laundry so I can stay in "uniform" (Khaki pants and a blue shirt). ..."

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments ...Way to ruin my "What are you wearing?" calls

We can do our next outing as twinsies if you want.

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments I enjoyed kill me if you can. never read a karp book before but have read patterson. Both my sister & I thought this book wasn't his usual type of book. maybe at some point I might try one of karp's books. I might have one but not sure.

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments Karp is not one of Patterson's usual hired guns, they were friends before Karp was an author. I suspect that Patterson was doing Karp a favor to get his name out there. Personally, I love Karp's other books.

message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments I saw he's not the usual Patterson co-author. I just hope that his book wasn't the hc that I gave to salvation army without reading. if it was it was a book of 3 stories I got long ago someplace. I'll have to check his website to see and see if I can tell there also the bag of books that are still here I had left some because so many were going so I was trying to make light bags.

message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments I just checked BN's and I think I'm okay I have the rabbit factory (who can forget a title like that LOL) so it wasn't the book I got rid off. will have to look check around the book mountains to see if I can locate when I have time one of these days.

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments The Rabbit Factory was a work of art. You should enjoy it.

message 17: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments next time I see it when I'm going though the book bags I'll have to pull it out to add to the TBR pile.