SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
This topic is about The Great Hunt
Retired Topics > Book 2: The Great Hunt

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2445 comments Mod

For November we have to tackle the second book in the series The Great Hunt.

This is the place to share your thoughts and discuss the book.

message 2: by Naz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Jordan has a very relaxed form writing in the sense that unlike a lot of fantasy novels that have you hooked right from the start and make you not want to put the book down he takes his time in making you know exactly what each character is about. I'm not so sure I like that yet seen as so far this has just made things predictable and that even though a few stand out none of the characters are really a favorite but it does become useful as more characters are introduced.

I do like that this is going faster, probably because most of the characters are already known, definitely better than The Eye of the World.

This one seems to be more lovey dovey than the last and I'm guessing that even though Egwene and Rand are obviously in love, Min was right in the last book when she said they wont be together. Maybe Elayne & Rand and Egwene & Gawyn :?

Nynaeve is starting to work on my nerves. You'd think after all that Moiraine has gone though with them she'd stop acting like a spoilt brat and acknowledge that the Aes Sedai are not all bad. Especially since she is going to be one. Also if either Rand or Perrin say "I wish Rand/Perrin were here, they know about girls" once more I'm going to start screaming at my kindle.

So far my favs are still Perrin and Moiraine.

I'm probably only going to start this towards the end of the month. Enjoying the TP challenge far too much.

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I enjoyed this one a whole lot more than the first. I agree with Naz about the Rand / Perrin thing. It annoyed me too!

Just finished it. Definitely far more enjoyable than the first and the ending was extremely gripping. I don't like that the battle sequences are basically described in sword-forms, but still good nonetheless.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I can only agree with you all regarding this second book. As I am a novice when it comes to fantasy books I was pleasantly pleased when I couldnt put it down and was absorbed in every page.I also liked the fact that the women played a more prominent role and all came out as strong characters. Sometimes when reading a book I can get irritated by the many sub plots as I just want the author to get on with the main story, but I really enjoyed reading about the women on Seanchan. Very enjoyable and cant wait to read more.

Tracy Grant | 4 comments I agree with you totally about Nynaeve, she is my least favourite character in the whole series. She is just so determined that she is right and refuses to listen to reason even when she continuously leads the girls into trouble.
Mat also irritates me in the beginning for a similar reason, but later on becomes a favourite for me.