Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Saint In New York
This topic is about The Saint In New York
Book Issues > ISBN 321???

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (last edited Oct 31, 2011 10:18AM) (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Saint in New York (Classic Thrillers) by Leslie Charteris Saint in New York is listed with an ISBN of 321, which is patently wrong. 321 is the Avon book number. (This should probably be recorded in the Edition area.)
This edition does have an ASIN, B002LRPCUS.

For verification, see Amazon's web page http://www.amazon.com/Saint-New-York-notorious-criminal/dp/B002LRPCUS/ref=tmm_mmp_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320080997&sr=1-1

message 2: by Vicky (last edited Oct 31, 2011 10:32AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I removed the number, but did not add the ASIN. Amazon assigned ASINs to used copies of books for their own use, but they aren't really appropriate for use here. We only use ASINs for Kindle editions that are specific to Amazon.

Do you know if there's an ISBN number for this book?

Scratch that, found it on WorldCat, it has no ISBN.

message 3: by Peter (last edited Oct 31, 2011 10:33AM) (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Considering it is a 1951 edition, I consider it doubtful there is an ISBN for this edition. In fact, it does not even list an 8-digit SBN (I hope I got the term right).

There may be (probably is) an ISBN for a different edition.

message 4: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Vicky wrote: "I removed the number, but did not add the ASIN. Amazon assigned ASINs to used copies of books for their own use, but they aren't really appropriate for use here. We only use ASINs for Kindle editions..."

Vicky: Does that mean I should not put in an ASIN for old books that do not have an ISBN? I thought one or the other was "required" when entering a new book to the database.

message 5: by vicki_girl (last edited Oct 31, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Vicky wrote: "I removed the number, but did not add the ASIN. Amazon assigned ASINs to used copies of books for their own use, but they aren't really appropriate for use here. We only use ASINs for Kindle editions that are specific to Amazon."

They are also used for Audible editions from Amazon.

Peter: No, an ISBN/ASIN is not required to enter a new book, only title and author.

Vicky: May I ask why you changed the Avon book number to 992? The cover shows the number as 321.

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I didn't even see the number on the cover, when I was ISBN hunting I found a list of all the Avon Book covers that had it listed at #992 and another listed as #321.

Now that I look closer, the site seems to be completely wrong. ;)

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Peter wrote: "Vicky wrote: "I removed the number, but did not add the ASIN. Amazon assigned ASINs to used copies of books for their own use, but they aren't really appropriate for use here. We only use ASINs for..."

I'll elaborate on vicki_girl's response and say we use ASINs for amazon's kindle editions. It's a little complicated since they use ASINs to track all of their stock. In this (and other future cases) where a book doesn't have an ISBN because it's too old I highly recommend putting in a librarian note saying "this edition does not have an ISBN."

message 8: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Jessica wrote: "I'll elaborate on vicki_girl's response and say we use ASINs for amazon's kindle editions. It's a little complicated since they use ASINs to track all of their stock. In this (and other future cases) where a book doesn't have an ISBN because it's too old I highly recommend putting in a librarian note saying "this edition does not have an ISBN." "

How does a non-librarian user add a librarian note when creating a new book in the database?

message 9: by vicki_girl (last edited Oct 31, 2011 01:55PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments There are two options, that I can think of...

1) Add a "note" to the description when you create the book.
2) Post here in the Librarians group and ask to have it added.

Regarding the original post, I looked up the person who originally put in the "321" as the ISBN. It seems this person has done this quite a bit with vintage paperbacks. I will message them that this generally not how we handle these pre-ISBN books.

ETA: For those working with vintage paperbacks, I found the following site to be very useful and accurate: http://www.bookscans.com/

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Peter, you can apply to be a librarian. I don't think there's a minimum level of activity. Meaning, there's nothing saying you have to do "X" number of edits a month or lose librarian status.

message 11: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments For those working with vintage paperbacks, I found the following site to be very useful and accurate: http://www.bookscans.com/"

Wow! I took a look and it is amazing! Thanks, vicki_girl!

message 12: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Shay wrote: "Peter, you can apply to be a librarian. I don't think there's a minimum level of activity. Meaning, there's nothing saying you have to do "X" number of edits a month or lose librarian status."

I guess if I only took care of the books that I post and find missing artwork and such, it would probably be worth it. Not such a bad idea, considering how many posts I've made here this month!

message 13: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Peter wrote: "Shay wrote: "Peter, you can apply to be a librarian. I don't think there's a minimum level of activity. Meaning, there's nothing saying you have to do "X" number of edits a month or lose librarian ..."

Peter, that's what a lot of librarians do. They're not "top librarians", they just fix what they find and fix what's important to them. But, I'm sure that collectively, they fix a whole lot of stuff.

message 14: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Shay wrote: "Peter wrote: "Shay wrote: "Peter, you can apply to be a librarian. I don't think there's a minimum level of activity. Meaning, there's nothing saying you have to do "X" number of edits a month or l..."

Thanks. I've applied.