Courtesan Courtesan discussion

French historical fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RJay (last edited Oct 31, 2011 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

RJay While there seem to be many books listed under British Historical Fiction, the same doesn't seem to be said for French Historical Fiction. There are a few books about Marie Antoinette and Karleen Koen's books touch briefly on happenings in France. Can anyone recommend books about French history, characters, intrigues, etc. similar to the books of Sharon Kay Penman, Philippa Gregory, Jean Plaidy, et al set in France? If you know of some great books, maybe we can start a new list for French Historical Fiction.

Jasmine I would love to know too. Courtesan is one of my favorite books ever and I had never heard of Henri or Diane before I read it but I am obsessed with them after reading it.

With that said a long time ago I posted on Philippa Gregory's forum asking her to maybe consider a book about Henri and Diane since they were so fascinating and she wrote back saying she thinks that the reason Diane Haeger was able to write such a wonderful book about them was because she was able to read French and do more research in France for the book. That might be why a lot of writers cover English historical fiction as opposed to French or Spanish etc, the language barrier.

RJay Good to know there is at least one other reader who loved Coutesan like I did. I, too, was surprised when I read the author's note at the end and realized the basic story was real! Here are a few France fiction books I've uncovered thus far. Should we start a new group list? I'm not sure how to do it but think I could figure it out.
To Serve A King,Donna Russo Morin (set during reign of Francois I, Henri II's father)
Mistress of the Revolution, Catherine Delors (Set during reign of Louis XVI, To Dance with Kings,Rosalind Laker (During the reign of the Sun King) Mistress of the Sun, Sandra Gulland (re:Mistress of Louis XIV)Love and Louis XIV, Antonia Fraser (re:Louis XIV)

Rio (Lynne) I loved The Courtesan. For French HF check out Freda Lightfoot and CW Gortner's The Confessions of Catherine de Medici.

RJay Rio (Lynne) wrote: "I loved The Courtesan. For French HF check out Freda Lightfoot and CW Gortner's The Confessions of Catherine de Medici."

Please add these books to our list!!