Writers and Readers discussion

Author Profiles > D.D. Chant

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Hi everyone!
I'm DeeDee, I'm 24 and I live in Devon, England.
I have written four novels, one of which is available on kindle and the rest I'm waiting to upload.

Broken City is set after a banking crisis and tells the story of Deeta, a young woman born into a world that has gone crazy. Here's the synopsis:

In a Broken City, filled with warring tribes, lives:

A girl with no future
A man with no past
A little lost boy
And those who seek to find him....

....Welcome to Deeta's world.

Deeta Richards has never seen the outside world. Before she was born a banking crisis brought civilization to an end and now no one leaves the safety of the compounds unless they need to, but Deeta still dreams of seeing more than the building she was born in.
Tom is in the guard, this group are the only people that the tribal elders allow to leave the compound and Tom knows only too well that Deeta could never survive the harshness that exists outside. Then tragedy strikes and Deeta and her Sister Jan find themselves captured by a hostile tribe. Why does Tom know so much about these people? And why do they know so much about him? As this mystery draws to a climax, they discover that their friend Tom is not quite what he seems.....

This is my favourite review. When I read it out to my family my uncle asked if the guy had got my book mixed up with someone else's!!!

With friends like that who needs enimies, huh?!?!?

John Steiner rated it ****
D.D. Chant captures the great themes one would otherwise expect from Machiavelli, Shakespeare and a bit of Steinbeck. In most post-apocalyptic stories the end came from some doomsday weapon or environmental cataclysm. Yet Chant decides that a few numbers on stock market boards and bank balance sheets are just as formidable weapons of mass destruction, and advances that concept into the story's environment, plot and characters rather well.

Furthermore, she an employs of a really excell...moreD.D. Chant captures the great themes one would otherwise expect from Machiavelli, Shakespeare and a bit of Steinbeck. In most post-apocalyptic stories the end came from some doomsday weapon or environmental cataclysm. Yet Chant decides that a few numbers on stock market boards and bank balance sheets are just as formidable weapons of mass destruction, and advances that concept into the story's environment, plot and characters rather well.

Furthermore, she an employs of a really excellent literary skill that I'm more than a wee envious of. Chant creates two distinct impressions of a character, one that's their real face and another that is conceived of in the mind of another character. From there she convinces the reader of one and to ignore the other, proving to me that the writer's pen is a tool of mind control.

The portrayal of single cityscape likewise is filled with seeming wholly different worlds, the appearance of and living within reflect the nature of the societies Chant crafts. Chant brilliantly employs economy of language to her witty dialogue, banter, slights and snide remarks between characters that brings forth laughs and efficiently paints the social environment of her scenes. I don't know if D.D. Chant studied the anthropological nature of clan based civilizations, but if she hasn't I find her tribal political framework of the novel that much more incredible.

While the story deals with tensions and armed conflict the story's timing and perspective deals primarily with the home front illustrating the strain of those holding down the fort and keeping the home fires burning. That not only those off to war feel the tribulations, but the people they return to also bear the burden.

Overall, in the years to come if this novel isn't being assigned in schools alongside classics like "The Good Earth" and "To Kill A Mockingbird" I would have to question the literary competency of the educational system.

Thanks for listening, if you have any questions (So optimistic!!!) I would love to hear them!

message 2: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Kyle wrote: "Hi DeeDee. Congratulations on your rave reviews and your success! Bravo! You're doing well for yourself. Perhaps one day you can autograph your novels for me. I look forward to reading your work...."

It's a deal, Kyle!!!

A girl can dream anyway!

Thanks so much for your support, it means a lot!!!

message 3: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Hi everyone!

I've just had a review from a goodreader!!

This is what Jud said:

Jud (Krisztof) rated it *****
I loved this book.

I really got into the story and believed in the characters, so much so when I woke up this morning after finishing the book last night my first thoughts were about Deeta, Tom and the whole gang. While reading the book I couldn't help but think "this could really happen".

The story focuses quite a lot on the differences in people and how everyone is seen differently by others and also on how people cope in difficult situations, in that sense it is more than just a good story.

I recommend this to anyone.

message 4: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Hey D.d.!! Fantastic reviews! Good to see you on here, too :D

message 5: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Mhairi wrote: "Hey D.d.!! Fantastic reviews! Good to see you on here, too :D"

Thanks Mhairi!!!

I've just read that your close to finishing your book, well done!!!

message 6: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Thanks :) Not long now. Really want to get this book out this month, you know?

message 7: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Mhairi wrote: "Thanks :) Not long now. Really want to get this book out this month, you know?"

Don't get too down, Mhairi!

Once it's out there you won't even remember this!!!

message 8: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments I know! That's why I want to get it out, so that I can forget about it and move on to the next project! So impatient. I've been sitting on this book for TOO LONG!!

How's your next book going? Where are you up to? Got a target release date in mind?

message 9: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments The Promise is STILL at the proofreading stage!

Fracture is coming on well, I always find the last bit hard because I know were I'm going and I have to be careful not to rush it!!!

It probably won't be out until the summer!

I've got a few other projects going and I'm getting excited about the next book in the series after 'The Promise'.

message 10: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Awesome!! Getting excited is GREAT! I'm trying to bend my mind round to work on Fire At Will. I think I'm finally getting somewhere.

So, what will your next release be, do you think?

message 11: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Mhairi wrote: "Awesome!! Getting excited is GREAT! I'm trying to bend my mind round to work on Fire At Will. I think I'm finally getting somewhere.

So, what will your next release be, do you think?"

'The Promise', hopefully Dec/Jan!

What's fire at will about????

message 12: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments It's the second in the Battle of the Gods trilogy. FLG is the first, then Fire At Will, and I haven't got a title for book #3 yet :)

message 13: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Mhairi wrote: "It's the second in the Battle of the Gods trilogy. FLG is the first, then Fire At Will, and I haven't got a title for book #3 yet :)"

WOOP WOOP!!!

You've got it all sorted then!!!

I've just decided on the series name for mine:

'The Lady Quill Chronicles'

'The Promise' is the first 'The Vow' comes next!

message 14: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Oh nice! I really have no idea what the third book will be called. But since I haven't even started the second one, I've got time :D

message 15: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Hi everyone!!!

I have some REALLY exciting news!!!
On Friday the 13th of January 2012 at 7.00pm UK time I will be interviewed live on the UK Amazon Kindle Forum! Anyone with any questions regarding ‘Broken City’, my upcoming books ‘The Promise’ the first novel in ‘The Lady Quill Chronicles’ series, and ‘Fracture’ the first book in a planned trilogy (or on any topic), please come along and join in the fun!!! 

I’d really appreciate your support!!!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) see you there!!!

message 16: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
D.d. wrote: "Hi everyone!!!

On Friday the 13th of January 2012 at 7.00pm UK time I will be interviewed live on the UK Amazon Kindle Forum! Anyone with any questions regardin..."

Congratulations!

message 17: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments A.F. wrote: "D.d. wrote: "Hi everyone!!!

On Friday the 13th of January 2012 at 7.00pm UK time I will be interviewed live on the UK Amazon Kindle Forum! Anyone with any qu..."

Thanks A.F.!!!

message 18: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments So today is my BIG day!!!

I'd really appreciate it if you could drop by my interview!

Thanks!

message 19: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Hi everyone!!!

So I’m very excited to be able to say that my new story ‘The Promise’ book one in ‘The lady Quill Chronicles’ series is now available on both Amazon and Smashwords!!!

Synopsis:

Dear Reader,
I wish to tell you a tale that began with a promise destined to change the lives of many.
When only a child, Lady Adele of Berron lost her family during a dreadful battle and was betrothed to a stranger.
Lord Rafe of Valrek, only a boy himself when the battle of Calis raged, grew to be a feared warrior and trusted advisor to his King. But sadness filled his past and Adele served only to remind him of all he had lost.
However the promise that bound these two together caused great anger to some.
What, Dear Reader, happened in those days of treachery and darkness? Incline your ear that I may whisper the secrets that you so desire to hear......

Lady Quill

It is historical romance set in Saxon times, with adventure and mystery.

Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to read this post! I really appreciate it!