Time Travel discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Picking Monthly Books - Archives > November-December 2011: Book Club Nominations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Oct 31, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
It is time to nominate our next book club read for November 15-December 15. Here are the guidelines for nominations:

1. Nominations must currently be in print.
2. No self nominations.
3. No more than two nominations per person.

Our preliminary poll will start on Friday, Nov. 4, and go through Monday, Nov. 7. The top three books will then be featured in a second poll, which will run from Tuesday, Nov. 8, through Friday, Nov. 11.

Books that have previously been read by the group and are not eligible for nomination include:
Oct-Nov 2011: "The Mirror" by Marlys Millhiser
Sept-Oct 2011: "TimeRiders" by Alex Scarrow
Aug-Sept 2011: "Up the Line" by Robert Silverberg
July-Aug 2011: "The Man Who Folded Himself" by David Gerrold

message 2: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Oct 31, 2011 08:49AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I will get things started by nominating the following books:

Black (Books of History Chronicles The Circle, #1) by Ted Dekker Black by Ted Dekker

The Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore The Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 902 comments I'm still hoping for the perpetual runner-up, The Chronoliths.

message 4: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I will continue to take nominations today for our next book club group read. I will then post the preliminary poll this evening, so we can start voting this weekend. If you would like to nominate a book, just post a comment here and I will add it to our poll. Thanks.

message 5: by Tej (last edited Nov 05, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Oh dear, am I late? My nominations are:

Time and Again by Jack Finney Time and Again

The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson The Chronoliths

message 6: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
The poll for our next group book club selection is posted. If you didn't get my invite to vote, just use the following link:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/56...

Because we had so few nominations this month, I'm allowing write-ins. However, no more than two write-ins per person please.

message 7: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Nov 11, 2011 05:46AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
At the risk of jinxing this month's vote, it appears that The Chronoliths will be our winner. I won't be around tonight to announce the official outcome as I have to attend a Boy Scout training and will be camping in a remote area without internet access (unless I can get a signal on my cell phone). If there's not a last-minute upset, you can get "The Chronoliths" in paperback from both Amazon and B&N for a little over $10 plus shipping. Used copies are also available for a little less. And it is available for both the Kindle and Nook for $9.99. I will start a discussion thread on Sunday if I haven't suffered frostbite from my weekend excursion and am still able to type.

I'm kind of glad the vote turned out the way that it did as I forgot that "Time and Again" is currently out of print. I caught that last month, but missed it in this month's poll. It's being re-released in paperback on Dec. 27, so I'm hoping Tej will nominate it again.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.