Fans of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison discussion

The Hollows Insider (The Hollows, #9.5)
This topic is about The Hollows Insider
The Hollows Insider *beware of spoilers!*

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Alrighty. This publication deserves an official thread. I'm 90% through it, but so far it's amazing.

It's interesting to see that Trent's been trying to curtail Devin's efforts this whole time. I also love the little extra facts that we never knew. One of my favorites was Jenks' list of swears.

Cher | 80 comments Great idea for this thread!(SPOILERS)
I'll wait till your done to comment. Although I did find the Elf's description interesting.(I'd have to get book out to quote)On the lines that Elf's can read people and appear to be what they want...hmmmm

message 3: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Oct 31, 2011 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Cool. I think that Elf comment had something to do with manipulation. That's why they've been so successful and have lots of positions of power and influence. I would have liked more info on Ellasbeth though. They just said she was bad in every sense of the word and that was that.

Cher | 80 comments It was strange that Ellasbeth was barely mentioned.I know she'll be back in the coming books because of Lucy. I only wished that there would've been more memo's from Trent/Quen (especially around certain times and events).

Shannon (Shannibal) | 61 comments Have you guys finished it now? What did you think of the ending? It can be taken several different ways don't you think?

Cher | 80 comments Shannon wrote: "Have you guys finished it now? What did you think of the ending? It can be taken several different ways don't you think?"
Hi Shannon, finished and waiting for VampireNovelFan to finish.(she'll be done tonight).She started a new thread to discuss book.I can't wait to talk to you about the end!!!!!

Cher | 80 comments Sorry guys,thought I was in anorther thread *(the hollows)

Cher | 80 comments (spoiler alert)*****
I will be taking my little one out trick or treating tonight and won't be checking back till later tonight. About the end...I've seen some comments where people believe the last comment Quen made was about Rachel.I worry it was about Sara.What the hell happened to the witch he hired??? A farm girl turned murderer? Now I am worried.What do u guys think?

message 9: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Oct 31, 2011 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Okay, now I'm all caught up and can see what you're talking about. I kinda got the impression that he meant Sara Jane as well, alluding to the fact that she might be in love with him. That wouldn't be unbelievable or unreasonable considering their situation. I was kind of wondering about that back in Book 2 if I'm being honest when she was helping him out and she seemed to like being consoled by him and Rachel was wondering what it would be like for him to do that to her. Quen was very impressed by the sisters and pretty much said that he'd be willing to court them himself if not for Ceri. That's a good question for Kim to clarify, though we'll probably get the standard "maybe"...

At best I think he could mean that Sara Jane is in love with Trent while Trent might be in love with Rachel.

Basically a Sara Jane-->Trent-->Rachel situation. While Trent/Rachel is my preferred ship, I'm not necessarily anti-Trent/Sara Jane, but I'd want to see a lot more development.

Aside from that situation, some general thoughts:

I cracked up at what happens to Devin in the end, ROFL! That, and Jenks' expletive-ridden quote to the press.

And it looks like Trent and Rachel were at Saladan's resort at the end of PD.

Is that demon spell how Rachel will go about saving Ivy's soul?

Shannon (Shannibal) | 61 comments Hmmm...I couldn't decide if I thought Quen was alluding to a Trent/Sara Jane relationship or if he was speaking rather metaphorically. As in he was telling Trent it's ok to be interested in someone that is not of their race, who has admirable qualities (such as Rachel). Do you get what I mean? Quen could be speaking of Rachel without having to actually say her name. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I'm hoping he could be meaning Rachel as well.

VimpireNovelFan: I'll have to re-read that demon spell. I was thinking Rachel would save Ivy's soul with that method Trent used on Rachel in the end of Pale Demon. Didn't he bottle her soul or something?

Cher: I hope you and your little one had a good time Trick or Treating! :)

message 11: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments Shannon wrote: "Hmmm...I couldn't decide if I thought Quen was alluding to a Trent/Sara Jane relationship or if he was speaking rather metaphorically. As in he was telling Trent it's ok to be interested in someon..."
Thanks Shannon, it was a lot of fun.
I'm too much a Trent/Rachel fan to accept a Sara/Trent pairing but VampireNovelFan might be right and with story delevopment I might be more accepting.(doubtful but possible).I really hope Shannon's right about Quen speaking of Rachel without saying her name.I think I can hope all I want but it doesn't change my worry that he was speaking about Sara.I'll have to look back at the spells page.I think she'll hold Ivy's soul and then put it back in.(in a bottle or through herself).I also noticed the article that Rachel and Trent stayed at Saladan's resort.Intersting..

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments @Shannon: Calling me VNF is fine ~_^. Quen might have been speaking metaphorically, but she still went to great lengths for Trent as well, so it's possible.

@Cher: this is the first year we've had Trick or Treaters in a while in my neighborhood, so we didn't have candy. I hope your little one has more luck!

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments About Ivy's soul. I do see Rachel holding it in herself, if only for more emotional effect and a chance for Kim to show a new way to do it.

Shannon (Shannibal) | 61 comments well...damn now I really can't wait for the next book! I need to know what is or isn't going to happen with Trent and Rachel! Ahhh...

I wish this group had actual meetings once a year or something it would be awesome to sit and discuss ideas and "what ifs" in person. I don't have any local friends to discuss any of my fav series with.

Are any of you going to re-read any of the previous books before A Perfect Blood? I'd like to and I'd be glad to buddy read with someone or several someones. :)

message 15: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments Shannon wrote: "well...damn now I really can't wait for the next book! I need to know what is or isn't going to happen with Trent and Rachel! Ahhh...

I wish this group had actual meetings once a year or somethin..."

I will be rereading the series closer to the release of PB.I'd buddy or group read at that time.I can't wait for the next book either but after reading The Insider,I'm a little worried.
VNF-Thanks, she made out like a banit.

message 16: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Shannon wrote: "well...damn now I really can't wait for the next book! I need to know what is or isn't going to happen with Trent and Rachel! Ahhh...

I wish this group had actual meetings once a year or somethin..."

Honestly, reading the world book took me through it all over again. I don't see myself reading the series over again until the books are done...if I get the ending I want, lol.

My bff turned me onto the Hollows and I turned another friend onto it so I was sorta lucky in that regard. Too bad Kim doesn't do signings further north, though she was at NYCC and some other New York convention in June. Signings are the best places to meet the fans in person.

I want to read A Perfect Blood, but Kim seems dead set on not deciding anything until the last book (which'll have tons of Ivy), so I'm not expecting anything definitive. It will probably be more of the same, pushing a little more in their direction but nothing that clinches it.

@Cher: That's great!

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Cher wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Okay, now I'm all caught up and can see what you're talking about. I kinda got the impression that he meant Sara Jane as well, alluding to the fact that she might be in lov..."

Do you mean page 265 where it says "Doleo"? That says it causes pain. I'm guessing that's pretty correct because the Spanish word for that is "dolar"

message 18: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Cher wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Okay, now I'm all caught up and can see what you're talking about. I kinda got the impression that he meant Sara Jane as well, alluding to the fact that she mi..."
Yes, on that page it mentions Doleo and the Infelix black curse that Lee used on her.Infelix is supposed to bring her bad luck.Make her unhappy or infertile.??On the opposite page is also the curse for bottling the soul.
I totally geeked out and asked Kim on her page about the last page on the Hollows Insider from Quen.She replied today and said she believes it was about Rachel.Yay.I'm still keeping my eyes out for Sara Jane.(grin). I thought the same about her on the second book as well. It was strange the lengths that she went to for Trent.I'm hoping your right and she loves him and Trent loves Rachel.(I can live with that). I also had another thought.With the new book coming, I'm wondering if Al is the one starting the murders?We've seen this before with Tom and the rest of the weirdos, when they thought they were summoning Al.They had Rachel's double there.Just a thought..

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Oh my! I think your computer made a boo boo, lol.

Anyway, I saw your response on there, lol. I also read about Trent's back porch part, haha.

I don't have the book on me, so I will look again tonight. Interesting theory about Al. Hmmm indeed.

Shannon (Shannibal) | 61 comments Wahoo I'm so glad you asked Kim, Cher! It was totally driving me crazy thinking they could bring in Sara Jane as a love interest for Trent. Thanks for asking her :)

message 21: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments Sorry about sooo many posts.I'm not sure what happened there but trying to delete them as we speak.
I'm glad I asked too, it was driving me crazy as well. I started the first book again awhile ago and just went back to where I left off. I think the back porch was so funny. I thought the same as Rachel and thought that's what he was doing back there. I'd give you the page number to look up but I'm reading it on Kobo and the pages aren't the same as even a ereaders(annoying).I'm finding so much more info in the first book.Things that I overlooked or didn't have answers for.

message 22: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Nov 02, 2011 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments No problem, Cher. One good benefit of owning a kindle is the word search option. The back porch stuff starts around the 38% mark. And yeah, I could see how one could miscontrue things with how it's worded, lol.

Missyb | 26 comments I didn't care for the companion book. I liked some of the journal and expense reports, and a few other things, but most of the book I didn't care for. I found it kind of boring. I really liked the Dark Hunter companion (Kenyon) and the Black Dagger Brotherhood (Ward) companion books and maybe that's why I was disapointed in this one. They were really good.

message 24: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments did anyone see the Arc for APB on ebay today? I saw it mentioned on KH site and decided to check it out.I was shocked when I saw what the bidding was at.There's still two days left and the biddings already over 100.00 bucks.My question is, what would you guys pay for an advance copy of APB?

message 25: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 12, 2011 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments I paid about that much, lol. But that was only because I really wanted to see what happens in Pale Demon. For APB, I want to know, but not enough to shell out that kind of dough. It looks like Net Galley isn't posting it this year, so I'm out of luck. Oh well :-(.

message 26: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "I paid about that much, lol. But that was only because I really wanted to see what happens in Pale Demon. For APB, I want to know, but not enough to shell out that kind of dough. It looks like Net ..."
For Pale Demon I probably would've paid it too.As much as I want to know what happens, I'll wait till Feb.Too cheap.lol. Now the last book, is a totally different thing.I would bet that the last book in the series goes for 200.00.(I know I'll probably be bidding)I was just surprised with the bidding being so high already. There's still two days left.Have you had a chance to read the first chapter yet?

message 27: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 12, 2011 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Yeah I'm sure the last book will be hugely coveted (though the last APB on ebay went for $178, so it will probably be something crazy). May have to pull out all stops for that costume contest, haha.

I haven't read Chapter 1 yet. That will just make me want the whole thing.

message 28: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yeah I'm sure the last book will be hugely coveted (though the last APB on ebay went for $178, so it will probably be something crazy). May have to pull out all stops for that costume contest, haha..."
LOL. I've already started thinking about the costume too.(that's too funny).I'm not sure how you'll step up, your costume was amazing. I'm thinking mine will have to do with Jenks.
The first chapter doesn't give anything away about anything, really. It wasn't what I expected and that just makes me want the book more.God knows where she'll go with this book..Sorry to hear NetGallery didn't offer up this year.That sucks

message 29: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 12, 2011 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments LOL. Thanks, but it sadly hasn't been enough so far. Bah humbug. Yeah, too bad NetGalley didn't post it this year. It's really tough to get your hands on now, a stark contrast from Pale Demon where you could get lucky there, or on Library Thing and it was more abundant on eBay too, thought that's not the most legal.

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments So, I have the best bff ever. Turns out she's cool with a store manager at her local bookstore and they were able to hook her up with an APB ARC! She's going to pass it to me when she's done with it very soon. I've asked permission to give it away since I know many would love to read it, so I am thinking of doing a giveaway on my blog. It will depend on if I can depart with it, haha.

message 31: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "So, I have the best bff ever. Turns out she's cool with a store manager at her local bookstore and they were able to hook her up with an APB ARC! She's going to pass it to me when she's done with i..."

I can't express how jealous I am of you right now!!!I am green with envy.The good thing is that I'm already registered for your site.I must win this book.

message 32: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 13, 2011 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Well, it's not in my hands yet, so that wait is even worse than when I'd given up hope, haha. Gotta wait until the weekend. But if I can manage to part with it, good luck!

Henrike (Henny282) Hi, I just joined your group & just ordered The hollows insider. Can't wait for it to arrive...

:)

message 34: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher | 80 comments Henrike wrote: "Hi, I just joined your group & just ordered The hollows insider. Can't wait for it to arrive...

:)"

you won't be disappointed and welcome.

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Cher's right on. It's fabulous!

Henrike (Henny282) Thanks :)

message 37: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher (Sharpei) | 33 comments Got the Hollows Insider today, will jump in after dinner!

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Cheri wrote: "Got the Hollows Insider today, will jump in after dinner!"

Oh you'll love it! I made the waffle recipe with the mayo over the weekend! Gonna post my blog post about it when I get around to it.

message 39: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher (Sharpei) | 33 comments You better VNF, lol. I just finished it....unbelievable. I loved it. I let my FB Enraged Biblio peeps know all about it. They said they would order it.

Fans of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison

unread topics | mark unread