Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > December 2011: Toys (Master List and General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Nov 07, 2011 07:49AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5571 comments Mod
We'll be celebrating December with TOYS! All sorts of toys are welcome, from dolls and stuffed animals, to action figures and cars.

Thanks for all the great nominations! Now, it's time to vote for the five picture books you most want to read in December. Please choose from our official list (Messages 2-12) and vote by leaving your comment below. Votes will be accepted until November 14th. Thank you! :-)

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 127 comments The Dancing Cat by Justine Rendal

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

LauraW wrote: "The Dancing Cat by Justine Rendal"

Thanks! I'm creating a link so it's easy for members to see:
Dancing Cat

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Too Many Toys by David Shannon

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Samantha wrote: "Too Many Toys by David Shannon"

Thanks!
Too Many Toys

message 7: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 181 comments ok....I have had very little time to contribute in this section of the group, but a toy book I really like is Traction Man Is Here!.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) Clown by Quentin Blake - such a favourite! Can I double vote on this one!? xx

Old Bear by Jane Hissy

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems

Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs: The Dreaded Fluffosaurus! by Ian Whybrow

Where's My Teddy? by Jez Alborough

message 10: by Linda (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:52PM) (new)

Linda (lindajane) Crispin: The Pig Who Had It All by Ted Dewan. Because, let's face it, the best toy IS a cardboard box ......

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Atkinson (3n3rg3ticrose) | 6 comments Linda wrote: "Crispin: The Pig Who Had It All by Ted Dewan. Because, let's face it, the best toy IS a cardboard box ......"

I love this book and have used it successfully during many a story time group!

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (onthemove) I can't wait for this month!!! So excited about this topic.
Maybe one of the books will have a toy come alive??

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) Leslie wrote: "I can't wait for this month!!! So excited about this topic.
Maybe one of the books will have a toy come alive??"

Perhaps we can find a picture book form of Pinocchio?

message 15: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic is not a picture book. It is a chapter book.

We read and liked Raggedy Ann Stories but again it is not really a picture book. (I think. I read it on kindle.)

message 16: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Leslie wrote: "I can't wait for this month!!! So excited about this topic.
Maybe one of the books will have a toy come alive??"

Those are among my favorites ;-)

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for all the great nominations! Now, it's time to vote for the five picture books you most want to read in December. Please choose from our official list (Messages 2-12) and vote by leaving your comment below. Votes will be accepted until November 14th. Thank you! :-)

message 19: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments I vote for:

Clown

Dahlia

I Love My New Toy

Nettie Jo's Friends

William's Doll

message 20: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 127 comments Why isn't this set up as a poll? Too hard to vote for 5?

My votes:
Dancing Cat
Crispin: the Pig Who Had It All
Corduroy
Clown
Traction Man Is Here!

message 21: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Nov 08, 2011 03:01PM) (new)

LauraW wrote: "Why isn't this set up as a poll? Too hard to vote for 5?"

Yes, this way each member gets to vote for five books they want to read, as opposed to only one :-) It's a bit more complicated, but I think it allows a little better representation.

By the way, it's great seeing some newer members getting involved this month. Welcome!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Glaser | 8 comments I vote for:
Olivia and the missing Toy
Corduroy
And Knufflebunny
And I love my new Toy

I know that's only 4, but I'm not familiar with the other ones.

message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) My Toy votes:

Crispin: The pig who had it all
Traction Man is Here
Old Bear
Clown
Sophie & Rose

message 25: by Dolly (last edited Nov 11, 2011 04:44AM) (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Kirei wrote: "Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic is not a picture book. It is a chapter book.

Kirei, thanks for the correction. I did a quick search in my "read" list, saw the book cover, and remembered that we liked it. I didn't remember that it was a chapter book, but could've easily figured it out by the number of pages!

message 27: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

The votes are in! I hope those who wish to participate will be able to find all of our official club reads:

Corduroy

Clown

Crispin: The Pig Who Had It All

I Love My New Toy!

Sophie and Rose

Sixth/Alternate:
Traction Man Is Here!

Discussion will begin on December 1st over here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

Thanks to all who participated in the nominations and voting. A few of my favorite books are on the list, and I'm excited to read the others, too :-)

message 28: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Nov 14, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

This thread now becomes a "MASTER LIST AND GENERAL DISCUSSION" where members can post about other picture books (not part of our official six) featuring TOYS :-)