Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - November 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I don't think I'll read as much this month as last month. A lot more will be going on but we'll see how I go.

For book clubs I will be reading The Name of the Rose and Oryx and Crake.

I also plan on reading Snuff, The Night Circus, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex and The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language for starters. I've been lacking in non-fiction lately so I'm pushing more of that this month.

What will you be reading?

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 97 comments I'll hopefully be finishing The Ritual, and i've got 1Q84 Book 1 and Book 2and 1Q84, #3 and if i get through them I will read Handling the Undead

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language... you've got to be kidding me?

A little "light reading" huh?

(I'm just kidding Kim. It actually sounds interesting to me. I've got Connections by James Lee Burke on my wish list. I loved his show but his book is too damned expensive.)

I am finishing up what has turned out to be a delightful surprise "The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard." By A.C. Doyle.

I want to read the second and therd from the Joe Pike leg of the Robert Crais, Elvis Cole and Joe Pike tandem. The Watchmanis the first one.

I have a group read for The List of Seven coming up for me that I'm excited about. It's a re-read for me, but the book is a lot of fun.

I also want to read more of the Dresden files and finish "The Lost Fleet" (Jack Campbell) books that I've neglected for too long.

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice (janaz28) I will be reading The Name of the Rose for the book-club discussion. Then I have to reread the kite runner and several different books for school.
I also want to get started with A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

message 5: by Melki (last edited Oct 31, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Melki | 205 comments Well, of course I'll be reading The Name of the Rose. Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America for another GRs group. Didn't get to Towing Jehovah last month, so that's still in the stack. Borrowed Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand from a friend, so I'd better get to them soon. I may try to get to Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War or Thanksgiving Night for a seasonal read. And for my local book club, I'm reading The Madonnas of Leningrad. And maybe some other stuff, if I have time.

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I should also add 1984by George Orwellto the list too.

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Janice wrote: "I will be reading The Name of the Rose for the book-club discussion. Then I have to reread the kite runner and several different books for school.
I also want to get started with A Short History o..."

I read a Short History of Nearly Everything last month. It's great.

I will be reading
The Name of the Rose, andBlankets, for book clubs

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim I've been meaning to read Blankets for some time now. I haven't picked up a graphic novel in ages. Maybe I should read one this month.

message 10: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (last edited Oct 31, 2011 08:43PM) (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
I'm a little unsure what I'll be reading this month. I will start by reading Double Dexter, Freedom (TM) and The Last Werewolf and see where I go from there.

raya (a little mango) (airtwit) | 15 comments I'm struggling to balance school work and reading time due to papers and weekly exams, but I hope to get through The Name of the Rose, North and South, An Idiot Girl's Christmas: True Tales from the Top of the Naughty List, and It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman. I imagine the first two will take a little while for me to finish.

message 12: by Parsa (last edited Nov 01, 2011 02:23AM) (new)

Parsa | 68 comments I have no idea why but I picked up Lord of the Flies last night. One of my eye is acting up with cause of an eye infection so reading is going to be slow.

Other than that I have The Name of the Rose, Sarah's Key and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on the list at least.

message 13: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments This month I have The Name of the Rose and The Memory Keeper's Daughter to read for book groups.

Aside from that I've just started Afterwards and read a load of Kindle samples earlier looking for a belated haloween read.

Not really sure where else I'm going to go from there. Aside from the fact that I do have a pile of library books to work through, including The Invention of Everything Else, which looks quite interesting. Anyway I'm starting to believe that maybe the library is a little evil as I go in to pick up ONE book that I have been planning to read and have reserved and end up walking away with mulitple books which aren't even on my TBR but look so good!

message 14: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Libraries are like that. You have to watch out for them.

message 15: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I re-read a collection of short stories of Daphne du Maurier 'Dont look now and other stories'.All of them were classic du Maurier- that mystery in the everyday, things a little off.'A border-line case' was devastating,as it was when I had read it about 20 years ago.Yesterday I finished reading Ruth Rendell's 'A sleeping life'.Together with these I am also reading Bakhtin's 'Rabelais and his world' in short bursts.I intend to finish 'Perfume' which I had started but had not been able to complete as I had too many corrections in school.Of course it is the same situation even now since the Annual Exams have started; but I need to refresh myself after hours of correcting the same boring answers.:-)

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I just finished The List of Seven by Mark Frost, co-creator of Twin Peaks... and I'm now reading The Lost Fleet: Courageous (#3) Courageous by Jack Campbell.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Just finished Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers and moved on to the latest Discworld novel, Snuff.

message 18: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Just done with the 9th house of night novel and half trough Wuthering Heights. The Name of the Rose is next on my list, tough I don´t know how much reading I´ll be able to do this moth because yesterday I decided to have a go on NaNoWriMo.
Looks like I´m in for a good deal of stress...

message 19: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) The days tend to blur together. Recent reads are: Shute's "A Town Like Alice," McEwan's "The Cement Garden," Art Spiegelman's "The Complete Maus," Frazier's "Nightwoods." Currently in the mix are: McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," Marlantes' "What It Is Like To Go To War," and, of course, "The Name of the Rose," our selection for the month. Scattered around TNOTR are various and sundry reference materials including an Oxford Classical Dictionary, a few relevant histories, "The New English Bible,"and my tattered Cassell's Latin Dictionary. Eco has me immersed completely in the 1300s. Peace is indeed found in a corner with a book. Good reading to all. What a wonderful group!

message 20: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V Indeed what a wonderful group; where I can learn and truly share, not only lurk and peep...

message 21: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

currently I'm readin When She Woke and The Night Circus. Both very interesting books

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice (janaz28) Sonali wrote: "Indeed what a wonderful group; where I can learn and truly share, not only lurk and peep..."

That is true, it´s very inspirational and my TBR list keeps growing because everyone just keeps mentioning great books!

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 17 comments I'm currently reading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy and also Michael Ondaatje's "The Collected Works of Billy the Kid - two great writers!

message 24: by Victoria (last edited Nov 21, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Victoria | 107 comments Kim wrote: "For book clubs I will be reading The Name of the Rose and Oryx and Crake..."

Kim, how are you finding Oryx & Crake? I read it in January and found it to be quite... idk, odd? at times disturbing? Even by Margaret Atwood's standards. Plenty of interesting things to think about in it though.

I'm currently reading the Reformation-era mystery Q written under the pseudonym Luther Blisset. I'd recommend it for any who are currently enjoying the theological intrigues of The Name of the Rose.

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim Victoria wrote: "Kim, how are you finding Oryx & Crake?"

Haven't started it yet. I was reading some other books before I start my book club reads.

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 107 comments Kim wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Kim, how are you finding Oryx & Crake?"

Haven't started it yet. I was reading some other books before I start my book club reads."

Oops, sorry. Don't let my comment put you off! It's definitely worth reading, and I'll be interested to hear what you think when you're done : )

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim Disturbing doesn't bother me. I just read a book about corpses :P

message 28: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I like disturbing, I might have to read it :)

message 29: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) I currently am reading The Name of the Rose and Return to Oz and I also hope to take on John Updike's Terrorist. That one sounds like a good Thanksgiving choice after dealing with obnoxious relatives!

message 30: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I read 1Q84 - it's a classic.
Currently reading The Name of the Rose

message 31: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I've got 1Q84 sitting on my kindle waiting to go but I'm already reading three books;

The Night Circus
When She Woke
The Sisters Brothers

I might read it soon, but its so long

message 32: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 97 comments Im reading 1Q84 Book 1 and Book 2 can't put it down. Don't think it's going to last long thankfully I have book 3 on my shelf waiting to be read.

message 33: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V Finished 'The secret of the Nagas' and have started Henning Mankell's 'The man who smiled'(Inspector Hollander series). I am an inveterate Mankell fan.

message 35: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V Have finished 'The man who smiled' and started Elie Wiesel's 'The time of the uprooted'.

message 36: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments Should hopefully finish Apartment 16 have really taken forever with reading this book. But I've been so tired lately hardly had time to read. I really enjoyed the first 10-20% then it lost me for a while in the middle with just being completely odd for a while and the characters going off to research and just pages and pages of quotes from other books they'd supposedly read which I never particularly like. But 10% left and am getting back in to it. I think whether is a 2, 3 or 4 stars book all depends on the ending!

After that I really need to make some headway with Name of the Rose!

message 37: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I've been reading Storm Front and Ready Player One over the weekend

message 38: by Booksy (new)

Booksy | 96 comments Philippa wrote: "This month I have The Name of the Rose and The Memory Keeper's Daughter to read for book groups.

Aside from that I've just started Afterwards and read..."

Philippa wrote: "This month I have The Name of the Rose and The Memory Keeper's Daughter to read for book groups.

Philippa wrote: "This month I have The Name of the Rose and The Memory Keeper's Daughter to read for book groups.

Sonali wrote: "I re-read a collection of short stories of Daphne du Maurier 'Dont look now and other stories'.All of them were classic du Maurier- that mystery in the everyday, things a little off.'A border-line ..."
What an incredibly precise observation, Philippa, I thought it was just me and my lack of self control, when I come to our library.. Good to know I am not the only one...
This time I came out from our local library with the following pile which I am reading through now:
Patrick Hamilton "Hangover Square"
Patrick White "The Eye of the Storm"
Maggie O'Farrell "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox"
Yoko Ogawa "Hotel Iris"
Will be reading all these this month...

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen | 17 comments Karen wrote: "I'm currently reading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy and also Michael Ondaatje's "The Collected Works of Billy the Kid - two great writers!"
Finished those two marvelous books and am now deep into Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Very engrossing and, may I add, edifying.

message 40: by Franky (new)

Franky I'm thinking about starting Drood now that I finished The Name of the Rose, but it's like a 700 page novel. I am also currently reading A Passage to India, but it might be a 5 or 6 month project based on my progress. (I know exactly what you are talking about, Melki...haha.) I need to see if our library has the Atwood novel for December and the noir novel, The Postman Always Rings Twice.

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim I must be sick. I've only read 7 books this month and I've not finished any in the past 11 days.

message 42: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Stop playing xbox! :P

message 43: by Kim (new)

Kim I haven't been doing that either :( New Assassin's Creed is still in it's plastic wrap

message 44: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Stop going to work then

message 45: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments I´d really like to stop going to school. Because of NaNo I´ve finished two books this month. TWO! Normally that´s my daily rate!
But I´m going to (finally) finish Wuthering Heghts, read Beautiful Chaos, Jane Eyre, Frankenstein and a few others. I´ve got enough to read, sadly.

message 46: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "Stop going to work then"

Please may I??? I've managed 2 and a bit books. How rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 47: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Yes Franky, please read Drood, and let me know if I should bother. I've had that book for almost two years now. I keep it right beside The Terror, and those two books alone are taking up 4 1/2 inches of valuable shelf space.

message 48: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments Melki wrote: "Yes Franky, please read Drood, and let me know if I should bother. I've had that book for almost two years now. I keep it right beside The Terror, and those two books a..."

Melki, from the sounds of things you should try and give everyone reading assignments to help you clear your shelves!

message 49: by Melki (last edited Nov 28, 2011 03:06AM) (new)

Melki | 205 comments Good idea, Philippa! So, I'd like you to read Room, Persuasion, and Open Season and report back to me ;)

message 50: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments Melki wrote: "Good idea, Philippa! So, I'd like you to read Room, Persuasion, and Open Season and report back to me ;)"

Yes Ma'am!

I do actually have Persuasion on a challenge list for next year and with regards to the other 2 my general 2012 challenge is to try and half my TBR. So you never know!

I shall try to remember to report back to you!

« previous 1