Mythic Fiction discussion

Books and Authors > Lambs of God by Marele Day

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rora (new)

Rora Book discussion for Lambs of God by Marele Day.

message 2: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah I am only a few chapters into it. Up to now I don't dislike it, but I am also not loving it. Hopefully it will get better!

message 3: by Logophile (new)

Logophile | 5 comments I'm having the opposite reaction. Even though I was already reading a few other books before picking up Lambs of God at the library, after peeking at the first few pages just to get a taste, the others have sat on the shelf while I finish this one. I'm loving how the sisters meld Catholicism with their own brand of nature worship and how they spin a good yarn! And though they seem benign and harmless as sheep, it's starting to get a bit creepy, along the lines of "The Man Who Liked Dickens."

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah The reviewers on the cover describe it as "mesmerizing" and a "page turner", so I think most people feel like you do. I am about 3/4 through and starting to appreciate it more, but I don't think I would read it a second time.
Just wondering what country do you image this novel to take place in?

message 5: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Well, I must admit that I finally ended up liking this book, a lot.
I think part of the problem I had getting into it was I had just finished the Hummingbird's Daughter and loved it so much. Lambs of God is so different. It took some getting used to, the start is slow,but finally I think it is a great book!

message 6: by Logophile (new)

Logophile | 5 comments Jalilah wrote: "Just wondering what country do you image this novel to take place in? "

Ireland. I don't recall off the top of my head the precise clues, but I recall there were a few indicators that made me quite sure it was Ireland.

message 7: by Kassi (new)

Kassi (brightflashes) Which country? Ireland definitely.

So I just started this book less than 24 hours ago. I LOVE it! If it weren't for my shift at work today I'd have probably finished it by now. It's so unique and interesting! I didn't find the start slow. The first two chapters seemed to establish characters, setting, etc... so that the reader could understand the progression of the plot. I'm wondering what people's take are on the re-told fairy tales, esp. "Sleeping Beauty". I was really struck by that. So far so good!

message 8: by Kassi (new)

Kassi (brightflashes) Jalilah wrote: "Well, I must admit that I finally ended up liking this book, a lot.
I think part of the problem I had getting into it was I had just finished the Hummingbird's Daughter and loved it so much. Lambs ..."

The indicators for me were the wool, spinning & knitting, sheep, Catholic influences, & the particular spices/plants used - so far, all of them can be cultivated in Ireland or are native to that part of the world. It seems there were also some particular words used - perhaps maybe "Druid" or something to that effect that is uniquely Irish/Norse/Scottish, but mostly linked to Ireland.

message 9: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Every publisher/distributor review I've read of this book has stated it takes place "on an isolated island off the coast of Australia." The author is Australian, and the raising of sheep, as well as Irish Catholic influence, fits perfectly. I haven't read anything straight from the author's mouth regarding location, but I would assume that if several reviewers who are paid to review a book all say the same location, there may be some statement they are all referring to. (??...I'm now curious enough to try to find out for sure.)

message 10: by Kassi (new)

Kassi (brightflashes) Candiss wrote: "Every publisher/distributor review I've read of this book has stated it takes place "on an isolated island off the coast of Australia." The author is Australian, and the raising of sheep, as well ..."

Oh interesting. Good call on finding out for sure. I'd be interested to know, too. Perhaps the reference I was thinking of was some sort of reference to the Britains, which would make sense in both cultures but then again, I don't think that any reference to another country have been made yet, but yeah. : D

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Candiss wrote: "Every publisher/distributor review I've read of this book has stated it takes place "on an isolated island off the coast of Australia." The author is Australian, and the raising of sheep, as well ..."
Interesting! I imagined the story taking place in a warmer place than Ireland. One of the Goodreads reviews mentioned Greece, but as I was reading it, I kept thinking it could not be since most Greeks are Orthodox and most of the names were English.

message 12: by Logophile (last edited Nov 20, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

Logophile | 5 comments [Possible spoilers]

It would have to be the northern hemisphere: When Sister Iphigenia is surprised to find out it's almost Easter, she thinks "How could they have missed the subtle indications that the days were growing longer?"

Also, I'm not sure where the legends of selkies have spread, but I think they're Scottish in origin, and there are also Icelandic and Irish versions of selkie (or roane, as in The Secret of Roan Inish) myths.

message 13: by Kassi (new)

Kassi (brightflashes) I didn't read the above because I'm not done with the book yet, but I remember why I thought Ireland: because of the structure of the building they live in. The center room was described as circular and the rest of the building was built off of that. So that's why I had thought Irish.

message 14: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 21, 2011 01:22PM) (new)

Jalilah I did a google search for interviews with Marele Day and came across this article:
http://users.tpg.com.au/waldrenm/day....
It seems that at the time of the books release, there was talk of Lambs of God being made into a movie with Wyonna Ryder. Guess it never happend.

Publishers Weekly writes: "Sisters Iphigenia, Margarita and Carla live in a ruined monastery on a remote Australian island, tending their only flock:"
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1...

message 15: by Kassi (new)

Kassi (brightflashes) Eh. In the end I ended up not being able to feel comfortable giving this book more than a 2/5. I really liked the premise and the characters, but I didn't feel like the author did enough with them. It wasn't as "mythical" as I had hoped it would be and I didn't end up really latching on to a character that much. I did think it was well written, with good style. About 1/2 way through it, I couldn't really tell what the basic themes were supposed to be and why certain situations were included when they didn't seem to add to the story itself. Wouldn't re-read and wouldn't recommend, but definitely was interested from the beginning and thought that the premise was good. : )

message 16: by Rora (new)

Rora I'm about 3/4 through and not sure what to think about it yet. The characters I liked at the start, but now have changed to being a little creepy and unlikeable which is making it hard for me to stay interested in the storyline.