Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; U - Z > Weeks, Brent - The Way of Shadows (Night Angel #1) November 5, 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 31, 2011 04:00AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks
This topic is now open for discussion of The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

GR Synopsis:
For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death.

message 2: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Thank you, Lisarenee

message 3: by Vi (last edited Nov 03, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Thanks, Lisa.

Based on 50 pgs a day, here's the breakdown:

Date Reading Pages Questions by:

November 5th Chapter 1 - Chapter 9 8 - 56
November 6th Chapter 10 - Chapter 16 59 - 104
November 7th Chapter 17 - Chapter 24 105 - 156
November 8th Chapter 25 - Chapter 32 157 - 209
November 9th Chapter 33 - Chapter 40 210 - 260
November 10th Chapter 41 - Chapter 46 261 - 311
November 11th Chapter 47 - Chapter 53 311 - 360
November 12th Chapter 54 - Chapter 60 361 - 415
November 13th Chapter 61 - Epilogue 416 - 467

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments You're welcome. The book looks good. They don't have it at my library, however. :(

message 5: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Awww sad!

message 6: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Diesel and amazon are selling it now at $2.99 instead of 7.99. That is the only reason I bought this book at diesel, I swear ;)

message 7: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments 67 chapters, including the epilogue Vi. 4/day?

message 8: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Are you reading paper or ebook? I'm doing ebook and it comes to 467 pages including epilogue. I was thinking of doing 50 pages per day (I'm a little impatient...)

message 9: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments That'd be roughly 9 chapters a day. Fine by me. Lisarenee, any luck getting the book?

message 10: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments OK, this will be the detailed break down based on my ebook version:

Date Reading Pages Questions by:

November 5th Chapter 1 - Chapter 9 8 - 56
November 6th Chapter 10 - Chapter 16 59 - 104
November 7th Chapter 17 - Chapter 24 105 - 156
November 8th Chapter 25 - Chapter 32 157 - 209
November 9th Chapter 33 - Chapter 40 210 - 260
November 10th Chapter 41 - Chapter 46 261 - 311
November 11th Chapter 47 - Chapter 53 311 - 360
November 12th Chapter 54 - Chapter 60 361 - 415
November 13th Chapter 61 - Epilogue 416 - 467

message 11: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Cool! See ya on the 5th.

message 12: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Questions for the Chapters 1-9:
1. Who did you think Azoth was? I had the impression he was a dog.

2. Why do you think Blint spared Azoth?

3. The part about architecture in chapter 2 just got me confused. What about you? Did you gather anything useful from it? I don't think I can call it info-dump, either.

4. As soon as Jarl said he'd get away, I knew he was a goner.

5. If Blint is as merciless as Azoth thinks he is, is it wise to go to him?

6. Gyre would abandon his country for the love of a woman. Do you think he is as worthy as he's being made to be?

7. Who might the Nine be? Is it the same as Sa'kage'? They sure have a lot of power, if they have been poisoning the king, right?

8. All of that intrigue and plots is making my head spin. Can you follow it all?

9. Did you realize something was wrong when Azoth returned home at the end of chapter 4?

10. Roth had stated his plans for Azoth very clearly. Why didn't Azoth realize what was going on?

11. Leaving his son like that? Didn't Gyre fear that the King would try to kill him?

12. Why does Azoth know Momma K?

13. Baby farms? Does it mean what I think it means?

14. Would azoth be able to kill Rat? Even if he got him alone, would Azoth be able to murder a person?

15. Solon, Neph, Roth..new characters keep getting in the story. It is confusing isn't it?

16. Could the Godking be an actual god? Or is it just a title?

17. Solon was disrespectful towards Lady Gyre. Was that wise? Why do you think he did it? To see who was in control?

18. What do you think Rat would do with Doll Girl? I was scared to find out. The violence is just too much. Don't you agree?

message 13: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments OK! I gotta say that was one of the best opening chapters I've read. I hope the rest of the book continues that way.

1. Who did you think Azoth was? I had the impression he was a dog.

Actually no. I didn't have that impression. Maybe because I had read the blurb, so I knew Azoth was a human.

2. Why do you think Blint spared Azoth?
I am not sure why exactly but he was asking something how that something could abandon him which makes me think that he was probably in some mellow mood. Maybe due to that mood, he spared Azoth.

3. The part about architecture in chapter 2 just got me confused. What about you? Did you gather anything useful from it? I don't think I can call it info-dump, either.
I know! I read it twice at least to make sense of it but it didn't. I'm hoping it'll make sense soon.

4. As soon as Jarl said he'd get away, I knew he was a goner.
I was hoping nothing bad would happen. Man, that Jarl is generous. Saying that he will give the money to Azoth - that is damn generous of him. I knew when Azoth opened his mouth, something like this will happen.

5. If Blint is as merciless as Azoth thinks he is, is it wise to go to him?
It is not wise but I suppose Azoth has glorified him. Anything has to be better than how he is now is his anything. Which makes Blint his only choice to go to. I don't think anyone else will help him either.

6. Gyre would abandon his country for the love of a woman. Do you think he is as worthy as he's being made to be?
No, I don't think he is. And I suppose he knows it too. I hope he doesn't come to regret it later but it likely won't happen.

7. Who might the Nine be? Is it the same as Sa'kage'? They sure have a lot of power, if they have been poisoning the king, right?
I don't think the Nine is same as Sa'kage (Btw, kage means shadow, Japanese, I think. Random trivia from watching/reading Japanese anime/manga). Maybe the Nine is some part of it? Just that statement itself makes me aware of the strength of that group. The King!!

8. All of that intrigue and plots is making my head spin. Can you follow it all?
I was thinking maybe I should write down the characters in a paper so that I can follow them all! LOL

9. Did you realize something was wrong when Azoth returned home at the end of chapter 4?
No! I had no idea the Jarl thing will happen in the next chapter. I was horrified.

10. Roth had stated his plans for Azoth very clearly. Why didn't Azoth realize what was going on?
Yeah, I was surprised it took Azoth so long to 'get it'. Azoth is being quick and slow at times. Part of growing up, I guess.

11. Leaving his son like that? Didn't Gyre fear that the King would try to kill him?
It's not like he had a choice. And he didn't have a good ally in his wife, as well. But I dearly hope he had someone to back him, just in case.

12. Why does Azoth know Momma K?
Isn't she a famous courtesan? But I'm stumped as to how Azoth knows her as well.

13. Baby farms? Does it mean what I think it means?
I don't see how it can be anything else

14. Would azoth be able to kill Rat? Even if he got him alone, would Azoth be able to murder a person?
I don't think he can do it himself. He doesn't seem to have it in himself. I suspect Blint will help him at the end.

15. Solon, Neph, Roth..new characters keep getting in the story. It is confusing isn't it?
I know! Game of Thrones had the same issue - too many characters. It was tough keeping them in check.

16. Could the Godking be an actual god? Or is it just a title?
Nah, I think it has to be just a title - I think it might be because that person has powers like God in that small area under him.

17. Solon was disrespectful towards Lady Gyre. Was that wise? Why do you think he did it? To see who was in control?
I am surprised how fast the insults started but then I disliked Lady Gyre immediately as well. I think he was trying to test them all - Logan, himself and Lady Gyre - to see how things happen and how far he can push. I'm so glad Logan realized he needed Solon as his adviser.

18. What do you think Rat would do with Doll Girl? I was scared to find out. The violence is just too much. Don't you agree?
Me too! I really don't want to read the next chapter. I hope she doesn't die!

message 14: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments # 12: Not just a courtesan, she is also Mistress of Pleasures and on the Nine.
#18. Much worse..:-(

message 15: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments You doing the questions for tomorrow?

message 16: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Oh no! Poor Doll Girl!

Yeah, I'll do it tomorrow. It'll be either very early or very late :)

message 17: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments I fell in love with her, as soon as I read about her. It was the huge eyes probably :-)

message 18: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Hey Vi, when we are done with this trilogy, can we tackle George R R Martin?

message 19: by Vi (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:21AM) (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Yeah, me too.

I have a lot of series I need to tackle (*chuckle*). I already read the first in that series but I need to read the next few. I'm up for the rest. Also, any and I mean any of the following:

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) by Megan Whalen Turner series

Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson

Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1) by Kenneth Oppel Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2) by Kenneth Oppel Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3) by Kenneth Oppel

Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares #1) by Lisa Shearin series.

OK, I'll stop now. Going through my TBR is not good.

message 20: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments So not good lol

message 21: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I know! Sorry for that post. Anyway, I'm up for Martin from book #2 onwards.

message 22: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Hmmm..will have to read the first soon, then.

message 23: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments The first one was very very good. I loved it! I did start off with the the group that's doing the whole series now but I dropped off from book #2 since I didn't have time.

message 24: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments i know! they're on book 5!!

message 25: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Questions for Chapter 10 - 16

19. What? Why? Why does Blint give Azoth to kill Rat as a test? Is he out of his mind? Do you think what he did was the right thing? Could Blint have done anything better?

20. I know Blint is not, cannot, be human but he does show to have some sort of emotion inside him. Do you agree/disagree? Why?

21. Finally, we learn about Vonda. Do you think Blint really loved her?

22. OMG! I didn't expect Azoth to do it really. I mean, I know he had to do it but.. I'm having mixed feelings about this. Did the author intend us to feel like this?

23. Why does Azoth want to be a wetboy? Blint said he'll give money for him to apprentice with someone else but why him? What does Azoth see in being an assassin?

24. That was quick thinking of Solon. What game is Lady Gyre playing?

25. For an assassin, Blint seems to awfully well-liked. Isn't that like a contradiction?

26. Do you Solon does have magic? From his account, no but Blint seems to think so.. What do you think?

27. Why does Azoth have to reborn as Kyler? What will it accomplish?

28. Oh man, that was generous of Azoth - what he did for Jarl AND Doll Girl. I'm so impressed. Oh boy, I feel so sorry for Jarl and Doll Girl. Even when she finally spoke! Comments?

29. Oh damn. What a brutal beating session! I didn't know Blint had it in him!!

30. What's that sword's implication? Can you understand what was going on?? I'm lost

message 26: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Questions for Chapter 10 - 16

19. What? Why? Why does Blint give Azoth to kill Rat as a test? Is he out of his mind? Do you think what he did was the right thing? Could Blint have done anything better?

I think he needed to see if Azoth had it in him and no, he can't afford to ease the boy into such a profession.

20. I know Blint is not, cannot, be human but he does show to have some sort of emotion inside him. Do you agree/disagree? Why?

I think Blint isn't as bad as he wants others to think he is.

21. Finally, we learn about Vonda. Do you think Blint really loved her?

I did think so but it is difficult to say with Blint.

22. OMG! I didn't expect Azoth to do it really. I mean, I know he had to do it but.. I'm having mixed feelings about this. Did the author intend us to feel like this?

I think the author also wanted us to see how it broke him when he killed Rat. I wanted to hug him and never let go.

23. Why does Azoth want to be a wetboy? Blint said he'll give money for him to apprentice with someone else but why him? What does Azoth see in being an assassin?

So he won't be afraid again. I think this is as good a motive as any.

24. That was quick thinking of Solon. What game is Lady Gyre playing?

Dunno, she acts as if Logan might not be her own son.

25. For an assassin, Blint seems to awfully well-liked. Isn't that like a contradiction?

Yep, he is a good person.

26. Do you Solon does have magic? From his account, no but Blint seems to think so.. What do you think?

I think Solon's a mage.

27. Why does Azoth have to reborn as Kyler? What will it accomplish?

It will cut off any ties to his old life and people won't be able to use Jarl or Doll Girl against him this way.

28. Oh man, that was generous of Azoth - what he did for Jarl AND Doll Girl. I'm so impressed. Oh boy, I feel so sorry for Jarl and Doll Girl. Even when she finally spoke! Comments?

That's the kinda person Azoth is. I just hope the kids survive.

29. Oh damn. What a brutal beating session! I didn't know Blint had it in him!!

Yeah, I think Blint has bipolar.

30. What's that sword's implication? Can you understand what was going on?? I'm lost

I think Blint's sword Retribution just changed its loyalty because Blint has stopped being loyal to its cause. And he was mad at Azoth, taking out its frustrations on the poor kid.

message 27: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Lots of twists and turns ahead! Full steam ahead, Vi.

message 28: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Ah, I'm really digging it so far. I don't read many fantasies as I ought to!

Ok, what is Blint's cause? He works for the Nine/ Sa'Kage. When did he stop being loyal?

message 29: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Its more like using the sword just for retribution like its name suggests.

message 30: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments #23 - It is a good motive as any - but an assassin??!! I want to shake Azoth and tell him not to do it. Will it be worth it? Oh man.

#28 - Yeah, he is that kind of kid. Damn, Weeks is a good author.

#29 - Hmm, Bipolar. You might be right.

message 31: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments How far are you in, Anomander?

message 32: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) "Questions for the Chapters 1-9:

1. Who did you think Azoth was? I was pretty on the mark, immediately I thought he was a kid but couldn't tell if he was middle-school aged or older.

2. Why do you think Blint spared Azoth? I don't think Blint had anything to lose by letting him live and like Azoth mentions later, it's said that he's a wetboy that doesn't like killing so he wouldn't kill just to kill.

3. The part about architecture in chapter 2 just got me confused. What about you? Did you gather anything useful from it? I don't think I can call it info-dump, either. I think he was trying to create some worldbuilding. Not only do we get a bit of an idea about this cultures briefly mentioned but it reinforces the worldbuilding of the country of Cenaria itself, how it's been taken over by many different cultures and thus the architecture of those cultures can be found throughout the city alongside Cenarians architecture itself.

4. As soon as Jarl said he'd get away, I knew he was a goner. I agree and it was depressing how long he had to live as one of Rat's "girls". I like it when that happens with authors because you start actually caring for characters and understanding the motivations of others. It also seems believable so I like that the author doesn't shy away from that and creates a darker story.

5. If Blint is as merciless as Azoth thinks he is, is it wise to go to him? No but I think because of what he was told about Blint he felt safest in going to him, not to mention he's the best. He does say he'd try and go to others if Blint wouldnt' take him but I'm not sure if that was just bluffing or not.

6. Gyre would abandon his country for the love of a woman. Do you think he is as worthy as he's being made to be? I don't think his only reason was because of the woman, though it may have been the largest factor. I think he knows that he's not being the best he can be when he makes the decision. But really if he had decided to do it we know that he would have ended up dead anyway.

7. Who might the Nine be? Is it the same as Sa'kage'? They sure have a lot of power, if they have been poisoning the king, right? I think the Sa'kage' is just a term for the criminal element in the Warren and the Nine govern it. They seem to each be in control of different aspects, like Momma K and the whores and the guy who's in control of the wetboys. It sounds like they're interested in keeping a weak king in power which is why they don't want Gyre going for the throne because it keeps them powerful.

8. All of that intrigue and plots is making my head spin. Can you follow it all? I think so, I haven't really been bothered by it thus far. Really it's all the names that are hard for me to follow.

9. Did you realize something was wrong when Azoth returned home at the end of chapter 4? Sort of? I mean he noted the strangeness of how they were sleeping but for the most part I didn't realize how wrong things would be. I'm wondering why Doll Girl or Jarl didn't figure out a way to forewarn Azoth.

10. Roth had stated his plans for Azoth very clearly. Why didn't Azoth realize what was going on? I don't know >.< He never thought it through?

11. Leaving his son like that? Didn't Gyre fear that the King would try to kill him? Maybe but he probably tried to set up safeguards. I think for the most part he knew that most considered Logan to be a child and no threat and with his father gone he woudlnt' even have him to train with.

12. Why does Azoth know Momma K? I think he might be the son of one of her whores or perhaps he was useful to her in some way.

13. Baby farms? Does it mean what I think it means? If you think forcing women to get pregnant to have babies that are born to be slaves, I think so. I don't think it's a baby-eating thing.

14. Would Azoth be able to kill Rat? Even if he got him alone, would Azoth be able to murder a person? I think he'll only be able to do it in some kind of extreme emotion. Whether that be in fighting for his life, in revenge or protection for Doll Girl.

15. Solon, Neph, Roth..new characters keep getting in the story. It is confusing isn't it? It is but at least Azoth and Blint are consistent and Solon had enough of a voice and mindset that it was easy for me to get him settled in my head too. Roth seems like he will die soon so I'm not really worried about him but Neph, I hope we only see him now and again really.

16. Could the Godking be an actual god? Or is it just a title? Actually I think it might actually be a god or at the very least some kind of supernatural man. I think it would be interesting if it was just a title but I'd wonder at how he could inspire such devotion from Neph as just a mortal man.

17. Solon was disrespectful towards Lady Gyre. Was that wise? Why do you think he did it? To see who was in control? I think he just doesn't like bullies and couldn't help himself. It probably wasn't wise but I still cheered for it as I wanted to slap her myself. I think it will come back to bite him in the ass someday though.

18. What do you think Rat would do with Doll Girl? I was scared to find out. The violence is just too much. Don't you agree? Actually no >.> I like that this is a fantasy that isn't afraid to get dark and isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I mean stuff like this happened back in the day so I find it more believable actually. It does make me sick to my stomach sometimes (like Jarl being one of Rat's "girls") but I think that's a good reaction to have, just because I like the darker aspects in some fantasy and find it believeable doesn't mean I like it personally. I like it when books make me feel something though, they always end up being some of my favorites.

As for series, Mistborn and Matt Cruse are really good! Though I need to read the last Matt Cruse. Mistborn is one of my favorites ever and I keep hearing that Queen of Attolia is really good.

Also, I work nights so I might be a bit late in answering questions. I'm guessing since Vi is doing today's questions I need to come up with some for Day 3?

message 33: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Vi wrote: "How far are you in, Anomander?"
Done with the book and can't wait to start the second one, even when I've got tons of others books to read!

message 34: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Caitrin:
# 2. Good point.
# 11. I agree.
# 13. Ewww! I just thought that was where they'd be sending the babies any prostitutes had. But you might be right, the word "farm" suggests deliberate action.
About the questions, you're welcome to make some, if you have time. Otherwise, just let us know and I'll do them.

message 35: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) Okay no problem! I"ll probably try and post them on my lunch break tonight (that is about 3:00am pst tomorrow). Is there a specific amount?

19. What? Why? Why does Blint give Azoth to kill Rat as a test? Is he out of his mind? Do you think what he did was the right thing? Could Blint have done anything better? To see if he can actually kill. To kill someone who is truly bad. Because if he doesn't kill him Blint doesn't have to train him, doesn't have to deal with him as Momma K thinks he should.

20. I know Blint is not, cannot, be human but he does show to have some sort of emotion inside him. Do you agree/disagree? Why? I think he has shown emotion. He's clearly been devastated over the loss of Vonda. I think mostly he's putting up a front and trying not to be hurt again.

21. Finally, we learn about Vonda. Do you think Blint really loved her? If it wasn't real true love it was at least the closest thing to love that he could feel for anyone. He's obviously an anti-hero but I think there has to be some bits of good in him for any reader to root for him.

22. OMG! I didn't expect Azoth to do it really. I mean, I know he had to do it but.. I'm having mixed feelings about this. Did the author intend us to feel like this? Maybe. Like I mentioned previously I like it when books make me feel something so when I write I'd want others to feel when they're reading as well. I think from the set-up of the book I figured that Azoth would kill him and become a wetboy or we wouldn't have much of a story with Blint in the mix, there would be no point in having Blint as a main character.

23. Why does Azoth want to be a wetboy? Blint said he'll give money for him to apprentice with someone else but why him? What does Azoth see in being an assassin? He wants to never be afraid again. He knows that everyone is scared of Blint so he wants that too. He wants to be able to live without fear but he doesn't understand that Blint has his fears too. He thinks that being a crazy good wetboy will give him that.

24. That was quick thinking of Solon. What game is Lady Gyre playing? I think she thinks she'll actually get the guardianship and get to be in charge. I think she wants to get at her husband and that she truly thinks that her son shouldn't be in charge as he's too young. All that talk of a Lord not letting a woman talk like that, I somewhat sympathize with her in a small way. :|

25. For an assassin, Blint seems to awfully well-liked. Isn't that like a contradiction? It is! But I think it's abit of those very small miniscule bits showing through. But also I don't think that he's as much well-liked as he is well-respected and it's better to be on his good side than his bad.

26. Do you Solon does have magic? From his account, no but Blint seems to think so.. What do you think? I believe Blint. Blint has some kind of magic and I think that let him see the magic in Solon. I can definitely see why Solon wouldn't want people to know he has magic.

27. Why does Azoth have to reborn as Kylar? What will it accomplish? I think Momma K and Blint have some kind of overall plan that we haven't been filled in on yet. Momma K obviously expects big things out of him and Blint was freaked out by his blue fire trick. They need a noble for something.

28. Oh man, that was generous of Azoth - what he did for Jarl AND Doll Girl. I'm so impressed. Oh boy, I feel so sorry for Jarl and Doll Girl. Even when she finally spoke! Comments? I think the author knew that we needed to have one person we could feel good about rooting for. Azoth is loyal to his friends and he returns Jarl's generosity and Doll Face's love in kind. He knows that the horrors they experienced were partially his fault (all Rat's fault really but you know what I mean) and he wants to make their lives better to try and atone a bit for it. Also there is probably a reason Doll Face needs to speak and I expect to see her again in the series but I thought it was really interesting that she was mute and she lost a little of that specialness as a character by speaking imo.

29. Oh damn. What a brutal beating session! I didn't know Blint had it in him!! I didn't either though I'm glad he seems to be beating himself up a bit...even as he's thinking about killing Azoth to keep himself alive. However I am pissed at him over it.

30. What's that sword's implication? Can you understand what was going on?? I'm lost I'm lost by this magic and sword thing too. I would say that maybe the sword is what gives Blint his magic but they could tell that Azoth had Talent without one. This whole aspect is confusing.

message 36: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) Anomander wrote: "Vi wrote: "How far are you in, Anomander?"
Done with the book and can't wait to start the second one, even when I've got tons of others books to read!"

Wow, you must have really liked it! I'm enjoying it so far but I'm also enjoying pacing myself and just reading according to the schedule so I can read other books too. I wasn't sure how much I'd like this book and was a bit suspicious of how much others liked it but so far I'm really liking it myself.

message 37: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Caitrin:
but he doesn't understand that Blint has his fears too. He thinks that being a crazy good wetboy will give him that.
So true!
No specific amount. Make as many as you want.

message 38: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments I did like it. The darkness and the violence in it made it unique and I couldn't stop.

message 39: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Yes, me too. So far, I'm enjoying pacing myself too. I remember when we were reading A Game of Thrones, I couldn't pace myself. I kept reading in lumps and forcing myself to put down. Now, I'm able to put it down. Or maybe, it's because I'm used to BR now.

message 40: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments @Caitrin

#8 - Oh yeah, the characters introduced are many

#16 - You maybe right, given that there might be some "magic" stuff here.

#23 - I can sort of understand but I can't still get over the fact that he will be an assassin! I want to tell him that the costs maybe waaay higher than he expects - yeah, it's stupid of me, I know.

#24 - Yes, when you put it that way, I can sympathize a liiitle bit.

So far, it's progressing very well.

message 41: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) Well I ended up babysitting my nephews last night and I don't have internet access at home so this is posting later than I had thought.

31. Wasn't Kylar learning his letters or symbols or what not? They sent him in without knowing how to read at all?

32. What element is it that makes Trace go from being the “ugliest” to the “most beautiful” woman alive?

33. Do you think the story Logan relates about Jorsin giving one of the ka'kari to a lesser man than his best friend and that insult leading to his betrayal going to be involved or useful at any point?

34. What was Azoth's hair color before? Will he have to dye it again before he goes out again as Kylar?

35. Why do you think wetboy is the term for assassin? Blint makes a point to distinguish the two when the noble calls him an assassin.

36. It seems Godking is a title for a leader of another country but why is he so interested in Cenaria? And does that still preclude him from being a god or supernatural?

37. Is Agon as pompous as he seems?

38. Oh my god! Did Blint really just kill Azoth? I mean I thought for a moment it might be a fake blade but Azoth had no idea what was going on and he could see it protruding from his chest!

39. I'm not the only one that sees the king as an ass, right?

40. How does a fake poisoning fake a dagger through the chest? Am I the only one confused by this?

41. I'm still wondering how they knew Azoth had Talent. How does Talent manifest? What can you do with it?

42. Is the 12 year old Serah the one Logan was flirting with? I guess 15 isn't that much older but it seems gross to me now :x

43. What did you think about the 3 year time jump? It seemed like a lot of the plots being talked about were 6 years + in the future so it figures that he needed to eat up the time somehow as well as get Kylar trained and older, etc but did you like how he transitioned it?

44. What do you think about the continued use of historical exposition? It seems every few pages we get info on this old legend, or history on that nation or why this stone is used and not others. Is it starting to annoy you? Do you think it will be useful later?

45. How does he know for sure the man is Devon? Isn't he just assuming since the guard said that he'd be in the North Tower that he is Devon? Blint didn't give him any kind of a description.

46. Doll Girl is back! Did you expect to see her so soon?

I like that the author includes references to Azoth's past and doesn't just ignore what has happened like he would be over it so quickly. And also finally we learn about the Talent! I liked the talk between Blint and Azoth about Talent. It was well done!

message 42: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments 31. Wasn't Kylar learning his letters or symbols or what not? They sent him in without knowing how to read at all?

I think nobles and the like can hire people to do reading and writing for them. Maybe that's why Blint didn't think it important.

32. What element is it that makes Trace go from being the “ugliest” to the “most beautiful” woman alive?

Dunno!

33. Do you think the story Logan relates about Jorsin giving one of the ka'kari to a lesser man than his best friend and that insult leading to his betrayal going to be involved or useful at any point?

Yep, why go into so much detail otherwise?

34. What was Azoth's hair color before? Will he have to dye it again before he goes out again as Kylar?

Dark hair, I think. No, he'll keep his original color since Azoth's the one who was blonde and he's dead.

35. Why do you think wetboy is the term for assassin? Blint makes a point to distinguish the two when the noble calls him an assassin.

I didn't understand why the specific term "wetboy" was used. The difference between a wetboy and an assassin is that wetboys have Talent.

36. It seems Godking is a title for a leader of another country but why is he so interested in Cenaria? And does that still preclude him from being a god or supernatural?

RAFO.

37. Is Agon as pompous as he seems?

No, he just seems that way.

38. Oh my god! Did Blint really just kill Azoth? I mean I thought for a moment it might be a fake blade but Azoth had no idea what was going on and he could see it protruding from his chest!

Yeah, but I did think that he'd have a way of saving Azoth too.

39. I'm not the only one that sees the king as an ass, right?

The whole country sees him that way.

40. How does a fake poisoning fake a dagger through the chest? Am I the only one confused by this?

The dagger was magic and Azoth's reaction was because of the poisoning and the fact that he thought he was being killed with a dagger.

41. I'm still wondering how they knew Azoth had Talent. How does Talent manifest? What can you do with it?

I think people who have Talent can see it in others like Blint could see it in Solon.

42. Is the 12 year old Serah the one Logan was flirting with? I guess 15 isn't that much older but it seems gross to me now :x

It was normal to be married by 15 or so in the past, right?

43. What did you think about the 3 year time jump? It seemed like a lot of the plots being talked about were 6 years + in the future so it figures that he needed to eat up the time somehow as well as get Kylar trained and older, etc but did you like how he transitioned it?

No, it was quite confusing.

44. What do you think about the continued use of historical exposition? It seems every few pages we get info on this old legend, or history on that nation or why this stone is used and not others. Is it starting to annoy you? Do you think it will be useful later?

I bear with it since I think it'll be useful later.

45. How does he know for sure the man is Devon? Isn't he just assuming since the guard said that he'd be in the North Tower that he is Devon? Blint didn't give him any kind of a description.

But Blint would never err and Azoth knows that.

46. Doll Girl is back! Did you expect to see her so soon?

No, I didn't!

message 43: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Sorry! RL kept me busy enough that I couldn't read the book. I'll be reading today and tomorrow and I'll post questions tomorrow.

message 44: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Okay!

message 45: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I know I said I'll post yesterday but my work is killing me! I couldn't even sneak a read in my work!! (ok, so I do read during work) I'll read tomorrow and post questions, I promise!!

message 46: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Caitrin, are you reading it everyday?

message 47: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I'm so sorry, you guys!

message 48: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments That's okay Vi. I ain't going nowhere.

message 49: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I finally finished this book today and finished all my backlogged books. Yay! First, man, this book was awesome. I read it late last night and got up early to finish the book. It was THAT awesome. I'm so so glad I finally picked up the book.

After the fiasco of this buddy read, I'm hesitant to suggest the next book as buddy read. But I really would like to read the next book ASAP! Anomander, would you like to continue the series?

message 50: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Sure! Say when.

« previous 1