Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Have You Ever Outgrown Authors You Once Liked?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi All,

Do you find yourself becoming bored with certain writers you always liked? Lately I am becoming increasingly bored with different writers and their styles. What turns me off is when the author doesn't seem to be growing or improving with their writing style.

One author in particular I really used to enjoy her work but the more I read her I find her writing elementary and weak. I didn't feel this way before but when I looked back on her other books, her writing was the same way. I believe writers should improve with each release. I do my best to work hard to always improve on things I need to improve on. I can't understand how some people can have tons of books out and it's like their writing hasn't grown since the first book. How is that possible?

I enjoy writers who you can tell work hard to improve and who have improved from book to book. Some writers are just better than others, I get that. But sometimes I feel like if you're not improving, maybe you don't understand what it takes to be a decent writer or you're just satisfied with pumping out books thinking people will just buy them.

I used to be more loyal to writers but I'm not anymore. If the writer seems to have given up or writes like they couldn't care less what the audience thinks then why should I spend money on their work or support them? There are too many authors out there who take their craft seriously for me to keep reading some author's mediocre books.

One author in particular has really disappointed me with her last five books. I won't be wasting another dime on her work. Her writing is stifled, her plots are full of holes and her dialogue is unbelievably corny. She uses Deus ex machina to get out of plot holes which is a huge no-no.

She was never a great writer but wasn't this bad when I first started reading her books. At least then she could hold my interest. I also hear others complaining about the quality of her work and wonders how the heck she can still sell books.

It makes me shake my head. Anyway, have you guys felt you've outgrown certain authors too?

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Hmm. I try to read around and a variety of types of books, so I don't get bored with one type of author or genre. I am a pretty loyal reader, so I can't say that I've outgrown any of my favorites. I usually take breaks if I feel I've gotten tired of their writing style.

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
I don't if it's that I've outgrown certain authors, if I do it to myself by reading too much of the same author back to back. It's like I get too much of good thing until I just can't stand it anymore. Am I making any sense?

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Makes sense to me, Michelle. I used to glom authors, but I have since gotten so excited about all the different kinds of books out there, that it's just not my usual reading style anymore.

message 5: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I know what you mean. When I first discovered a new author, I would go out and buy all the books in a series if I could, read them all back to back etc. I think its good to get a break from certain characters, writing styles, and themes from time to time.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I will still collect books by authors I fall for, but I try to divide up my reading of books by one author.

I am still working my way through the backlist of many of my favorite authors.

message 7: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I will still collect books by authors I fall for, but I try to divide up my reading of books by one author.

I am still working my way through the backlist of many of my favorite authors."

I've seen your bookshelves. Just when do expect to get through that backlist? The year 3228?! I'm only kidding. I do the same thing. Ever since I read The Madness of Lord Ian McKenzie, I've made it my personal mission to buy a Jennifer Ashely book everytime I see one.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

LOL. That's the problem, Michelle. I love books too much. I am trying very hard to read books I own, but new books get in the way, and I have been getting tons of review books lately.

message 9: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Oct 31, 2011 01:45PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) The thing is about this particular author is the more I am reading other authors, I am not finding her work up to par. Maybe I am wrongfully holding her by a high standard but I just feel like she's just throwing up books for sales without much effort.

I love books I can get deep into and love authors who write those types and her stories don't hold me. It's like she'll have an idea for a good plot and then can't execute it well. It just falls flat and a lot of other readers have been complaining about the quality of her latest books too so I do think it's an issue with her.

To be fair I started reading her books a while back and since have discovered writers who might just be much better than her. So I read their books and I guess I expect her to be able to write like them or as good. I know that might be unfair because writers are different and some better than others but it's also in her execution. She throws a plot out there and it doesn't even make sense or she doesn't even delve deeply enough into it. But it did seem that she put forth more effort before. Lately it's like she cranks out books to fulfill her contract and that's it.

She is only one author I enjoyed to read but I don't enjoy her books anymore. They just seem to be cranked out without any effort. So it's time for me to move on from her. If I am not satisfied with her books, no need in reading them.

Then again I am hard to please as a reader. *grinning*

But I liked her books before, just not anymore.

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 128 comments I used to like Anne Rice until she stopped writing about introspective vampires and turned to the life story of Jesus Christ.
I used to like Laurell Hamilton until she got her heroine, Anita Black, to the point where she isn't happy unless there are 4-5 males in her bed every night, and at least 2 have to be vampires and others are shifters. Hey girl, you run out of orifices by that point! Sheesh!
I only liked the first couple of books by Charlaine Harris, and I'm baffled that her mostly formulaic books are such a hit on TV, but then I don't have cable, so they must be "based on" her books, because there's not enough there to be that interesting!

One author that does NOT disappoint is Mary Janice Davison, who writes about a reluctant vampire queen who loves shoes more than blood!

Interesting topic.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I totally get what you're saying, Stacy-Deanne. I don't think I have an author I'm like that about now. I did kick Laurell K. Hamilton to the curb because I don't like her change in format. I let go of a few authors years ago, but I don't even consider them favorites anymore and haven't for years: Brenda Joyce, Catherine Coulter, are two that come to mind. I haven't felt the enormous urge to pick up any of Jude Deveraux's newer books, although I did buy one. I just haven't read it yet.

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) As I look at it now I don't have favorite authors anymore. Lately I just hop from author to author. It used to be if I read someone's book and enjoyed it I would check out their other work but now, not necessarily. I blame part of this on the explosion of so many books in the last few years and epublishing. Since I've started reading ebooks I am not as loyal. LOL! The thing is I love to read ebooks so when I do get them I usually focus more on the story and not the author. When I was reading print only, I focused more on the author. But with so many abundance of authors in the ebook world, especially, man I just go with a story that interests me. And the thing is I forget who a lot of these authors are the next time around so unless I remember them, most times I don't even get more ebooks from the same authors. Does that makes sense? I really think it has to do with me reading only ebooks now.

I used to have my favorite Historical romance authors I used to like to stick to but not anymore.

These days I just check out what interests me and don't go by the author as much. I know some people are very loyal to certain authors and I used to be that way but when it gets to some authors they don't release books fast enough. I mean yearly at least. Some of the authors I used to read now only seem to release a book every two or three years so by the time I see they got a book out or think of them I'm not really interested. For me I get excited about an author's next book but if it takes years to come out, I won't be so excited when it finally does. LOL!

Another thing is that I can't read while I am writing my own books. I have to have my mind solely on my own work and read when I have the time. So I don't read as much as maybe some folks do who read daily or whatever. So maybe I am so wrapped up in writing that right now I don't find so much excitement in things I used to love to read. Now I just pick up a book when I have time and I often end up picking up different authors I've never read before these days. Which is a good thing too.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That makes sense, Stacy-Deanne. I guess for me, I am about the style of writing and storytelling. I gravitate to the writers that write in the style I like to read, and tell stories that I like to read about. I love discovering new authors and ebooks have been great for that. I review books for a couple different sites, and it's pretty awesome to come across a new author and be wowed. It has made me a huge fan of indie writers. I think because of the way I am wired, I will always be a reader who has author loyalty and fanship. I like to know that I can pick up a certain author's books and generally get the kind of book I like to read. I don't think it's so much about predictability as a certain vein or direction of storytelling.

message 14: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Also, I do try to support self-published works. I do "try" to read a lot of self-published books along with other books but unfortunately I can't get through most of them. For example I downloaded about ten self-published books along with commercial books a few months ago. Out of those ten I could only get through ONE and it wasn't without tons of horrid mistakes. But the thing was the writer could tell a good story and had a unique way about it that kept my interest. If the story had been edited, man the story would've been perfect. I couldn't even get through the others for different reasons. Two I put down before I got to the second chapter because of the mistakes. I mean HUGE mistakes like tense issues, grammar, etc.

I was like, "Come on, dude. Even if you couldn't afford an editor couldn't you have used Word?" LOL! Word alone would've helped about 75% of the grammar issues in some of these books.

And believe me, I am one of those readers who are more lenient with authors for these issues. If you can give me a good and interesting story, I might forgive other things but these books were so badly in need of editing and revising that it was impossible to overlook the mistakes. They got in the way of the story.

I don't understand how it can happen because I read samples before I downloaded but as I read on, the books were really bad.

So I am one of few folks that do try to support self-published authors. Every once in a while I find a self-published author I really enjoy but that's rare. I am not trying to offend anyone, but it's an honest opinion. Most self-published books are just not ready. But at least I am a reader who gives them a shot. Most people I know wouldn't touch one.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Again, I know what you're saying. I have come across some of the works you are referring to that I feel should not have been published until they had been better edited and polished. I too am lenient about editing issues. I find editing problems in mass market/big publisher books as well, so I don't think it's just small press, although they seem to be worse about it. Even though I have read books I didn't like, I am always excited when I find a gem or more out of the many indie books I read.

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sometimes I wonder why I put the extra pressure on myself to read so many books for review, but it's so worth it, because I find an author/book I wouldn't have found otherwise. I like to get the word of mouth out there about good books, so it's my contribution to the book world when I can write a positive review on an indie book that was very well done.

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments Over the years I have grown out of many authors.

The number 1 reason usually tends to be it feels like they are writing the same story over and over again. I gave up Jayne Krentz in the early 90s just for that reason. Same hero, Same heroine, similar dialogue book after book.

Number 2 reason is usually I feel like they're phoning it in. The stuff doesn't feel as exciting or interesting as the early stuff did. I reads almost, well, lazy.

Number 3 reason (usually my number1 reason when it comes to series) the books have just devolved into being almost unreadable. Lack of character development or the characters act out of character or the storyline has become too byzantine to follow or things simply aren't being resolved fast enough or the series has shifted into something unrecognizable. So I've given up Hamilton, Evanovich, Ward for these reasons.

Honestly, I don't feel like I a missing anything with the authors I've given up. There are so many more options these days that simply weren't there before with the smaller pubs and e-pubs etc.

message 18: by Roslyn (new)

Roslyn | 249 comments I was big on Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series, but it seriously jumped the shark with the latest book and I've lost interest. I just put them all on Paperback Swap. It seems that the minute writers go to hardback the quality suffers, or maybe it's that my expectations are higher because I've spent so much money. SEP lost me the same way. She used to be an auto-buy for me, but her last few have just not had that SEPPINESS I used to love and I've backed off.

That leaves me with no mainstream authors as auto-buys anymore. I prefer the indie publishers as that's where most of the IR/MC books I prefer are. I used to read a lot more fiction than I do now, but I simply don't have the time anymore. I have a newborn and am writing a Rock Star sequel, between the two I simply can't waste my time. Typically I give a book a chapter to grab my interest, after that, I'm done.

I haven't been thrilled with most of the self-published books I've read, either. And that's disappointing because I intend to self-publish Dark Star. I gave up on them when I bought one that had more than 50 positive reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads and the goddamned thing was literally unreadable. I'm still pissed off about that especially since one of the authors "fans" chose to one-star half of my books on Goodreads in retaliation for me one-starring that book. I mean seriously, how hard is it to use the effing spell-check?

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people are coming into self-publishing from fan-fic and the like where things like grammar and spelling are apparently not a big deal. Of course not, you're GIVING the book away. However, once you start charging MONEY and calling yourself a PROFESSIONAL it's time to start acting like one. So, it'll take a lot to get me to go self-pubbed again.

message 19: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Tina,

You hit the nail on the head. All of your reasons are exactly how I feel.

message 20: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Rosyln,

I agree. I think a lot of people jump into self-publishing on a whim and don't have a plan. I admire the ones who take the time to make their book the best it can be.

Recently, a lady said, "Well I can't afford to have an editor so I just put it out there."

I understand she might not be able to afford an editor but I couldn't believe her attitude toward her own work. She was satisfied with just throwing it out there. I told her even if you can't afford an editor you can get with a critique group or a beta reader but do something. Her attitude is a reason why I would never buy her book. I mean if an author shows no pride in presenting her work why would she expect others to pay for it?

I commend those that work hard by self-publishing but there are more that don't and that's why the more serious and better SP authors often get lumped up with the others unfortunately.

I'll still support indie works. I like finding new authors and I like to see what self-published authors have to over but I will be even more selective in the future. LOL!

One thing I've learned about SP books is not to go by reviews. I bought several because they had great reviews and came to find out it had been reviews from other self-published authors who just hyped up the book. True, some commercial authors do the same thing so I am not saying it's just SP authors, but I've seen more SP authors have books with glowing reviews and you download the book and it's like, "Yikes". ROFL!

I feel you on not wanting to read SP books anymore, Roslyn. The thing is that it takes so much dreck to dig through to find good SP books. Like you said, act like a professional especially if you're charging money for your work.

message 21: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 01, 2011 10:52AM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Roslyn,

I am sorry that happened to your book! That is awful. This is why I don't even review self-published books I read anymore. I find a lot of the authors can't take criticism and get vindictive and I don't want anyone messing with my own books' ratings just to get back at me. They need to understand that not everyone will like their book but if I was self-published, I'd be glad someone read it in the first place. It is hard to get a lot of folks to read self-published books so just the fact that someone took the time to read mine would be a reward for me if I self-published. I wouldn't get mad over the review they give because nine times out of ten the reader is trying to help them by pointing out things that could be better.

message 22: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Kane (mjkane) | 97 comments I've got one author who I respect and admire and who's work I studied when I first started writing, but two years later, I can barely pick up her book. The last two books she put out I can't get into. The reason is because my writing style that I'm developing is different and delves deeper into the characters. She writes 3rd person, I write deep 1st person. My scene changes and character POV changes are distinct, she head hops. I can't focus on her story for being aggravated by the head hopping. So as much as I admire and will always respect her work, I'm not sure I can read another story. I can still read 3rd person stories, but if there is head hopping going on, then I put it down quick. It takes work to write/carry a story in multiplul POV's. If I put the work in, then I want to read a story by someone else who has done the same.

message 23: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) M.J., I don't put up with head hopping either! That's a big no-no and any writer who head hops needs to work on their craft more. You should never head hop. I HATE that. I'd put the book down in a minute because it not only makes things confusing but is just lazy storytelling and tacky. I am the same way with folks who riddle their work with adverbs. I can't stand them. I tried to read a book the other day and put it down by page five because of the author's obsessive adverb usage. Using adverbs to express everything is lazy writing. If a writer can't find a more colorful and better way to show in their writing instead of "telling" with adverbs they need to work on their writing. This particular author had about twenty adverbs on the first page so I had to put the book down. LOL! I was seasick from all the "ly" words going on. LOL!

As for POV, I love third person myself and that's what I write. I write mysteries and crime fiction and I have tons of characters so it would be impossible for me to write one of my stories in first. Third is my favorite to write and read.

message 24: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Kane (mjkane) | 97 comments LOL...seasick, I love it!

I've tried 3rd person writing, I do okay, but I can feel my characters better and know what they're thinking by writing 1st person. Maybe it comes from being an only child and spending days giving all my stuffed animals 'voice'...lol! My stories are told by the h/h in the story. Near the end I introduce a 3rd POV character who's story is tied to the next book. It's a cool way to introduce them and tie the two books together.

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments I don't mind reading either third or first person, but I think you have to be really careful when writing first person. Everything that happens in the book is filtered throuhg the lens of the narrator and as a reader you have to be aware that perception is all. So I think a successful writer who writes FP also has to write with that type of awareness. They need to be able to convey that what that person is saying is what they believe or know, not necessarily what is true.

I've read great FP narratives (Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow is a fabulous FP narrative and a great mystery to boot) and I've read other FPs where I actually found I did not trust the narrator's vision or perception.

message 26: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Kane (mjkane) | 97 comments @Tina,

This is very true. I've done my best to delve deep into the characters head and 'see' what they see, feel what they feel and think what they think. Here's a link to my blog where I talked about writing emotional scenes. Attached is a two page sample of the wip I'm working on now, check it out and tell me what you think.
http://thiswriterslife-mjkane.blogspo...

message 27: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:36PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) M.J., I'm an only child. LOL!

I just chalk it up the POV thing to writers enjoying different ones for different reasons. For instance a friend of mine loves second person which is rare. I can't stand it because it's too weird to read for me. For me, I find it easy to get close to characters in third. I have written some things in first before I was published but didn't like it. I don't wanna stay in one person's head the entire book. I have too many characters. Also, I have villains doing things and most of my books have a lot of subplots so I need to be able to stretch the POV.

But yes, I am an only child too and an introvert. ROFL! I didn't name my stuffed animals but I had imaginary brothers and sisters growing up.

message 28: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:40PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Tina,

My problem with first is that I get tired of the MC so fast in first. I just get sick of being in one character's head the entire time. It seems stifling to me to read. I like to see different POV's. I also have read a lot of FP books where it seemed like the writer was preaching through their character or something. I love some of the classic FB books and some FB mysteries though.

But my choice is third all the way. I just like being able to see things in different angles and I like being in different characters' minds throughout the stories. Whether I am reading or writing third person, it just makes a story more interesting to see things through different characters' eyes.

message 29: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Kane (mjkane) | 97 comments @Stacy-Deanne

I totally agree with not liking to be stuck in one persons head during the entire book. For instance,I love the Twilight story (so shoot me already!) Three books from Bella's POV did get a little boring after a while. I would have loved to 'hear' what Edward was thinking. But by the last book, Breaking Dawn, Meyers went from Bella's POV only to telling it from Jakes POV. I loved the switch! So I incorporated that into my writing. My stories are told in 1st person, but from more than one person's POV. She tells her side of the story, then he tells his side. It's a bounce back and forth between both main characters that keeps the story not only interesting, it allows the reader to delve deep into both of their heads and their hearts.