What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Vintage - Separate volumes of fairy tales & classical stories

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Hi everyone,

This is my second post in almost as many days in this group (I'm on a mission for lost books!).

This isn't a book as such, more of a collection of them. I can remember my grandfather keeping them on his shelves when I was a little girl (around 15 - 20 years ago), however he may have had them for some time. They appeared to be bound in dark red/moroon or brown vinyl/leather, and he had around 15 of these volumes which varied from 1 - 2 inches thick. All put together, they almost looked like a group of encyclopedias.

I would assume that he collected them from a newsagent, or Readers Digest type thing. They were all hardcover, and vintage in style. I would guess that they were printed somewhere in the the 60's - 80's.

On the spines of the books, about halfway down, the title appears in a block of colour - I seem to recall an aquamarine green, however I'm unsure if this was for each of them or only one. The text itself would more that likely have been gold, or black on the spine. Additionally, the outer pages were trimmed in gold so when the books were closed, the pages looked as though they were gold (does that make sense?!). Obviously, they were white/cream when you opened the books up.

The titles were all classic legends and fairy tales such as:

-Robin Hood
-Brothers Grimm
-Hans Christian Anderson
(which included)
*The Little Mermaid
*The Snow Queen
*Etc

They may have had a simple drawing underneath the title on the spine.

I really can't remember any more of the titles, but I *know* they were along the lines of the above. I'm sorry for sounding so vague with the details I've provided, but it's all that I can remember!

These books are a deep source of nostalgia for me, and I'd dearly love to track down a set or start collecting them.

One last thing - I can remember that they were illustrated sporadically throughout the books. The pictures were on glossy paper, and were very beautiful - almost artistically done. I think there would be an illustration on one side, and the other side of the page left blank.

Not all of the books were collections, such as the HCA one - the majority of them were stand alone books.

Even if you can't identify the books, but have some suggestions on where to keep looking I would be very grateful.

Thank you all :)

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Joybell--I think what you are looking for is a collection that was put out with "young readers" in mind. I have a few around the house SOMEWHERE (I own upwards of 3k books, so they are everywhere) and will see if I can find one to get you the publisher.

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Oct 31, 2011 09:47AM) (new)

Danielle | 152 comments I think my dad has a set of books that fit your description. Next time I visit him I will check them out and get back to you about what they are called. I'm pretty sure it's some edition from Harvard, I think? Like I said I have to check. Hope you find them. :)

message 4: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Thank you both for your responses! I know how you feel Ann, with the amount of books you have. Hopefully you can manage to find one hehe.

Danielle, thanks - I will have a look at your suggestion and see if it leads to anything :)

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 72 comments I had a collection of Reader's Digest Condensed Books for Young Readers, that sounds exactly like the ones you are looking for, but for slightly older children. It was a set of about 12 "books" and each book had three or four stories in it. Some of the stories I remember were "Little Women" "Black Beauty" and "Alice in Wonderland."
Here's a link for some on sale on ebay. They look like what you described. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-YOUNG-READE...

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Ok, I found one of the books that I THINK this might be part of. Its "The Children's Classics" series by Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.

If its not that set, what about this set, which I found on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Children...

message 7: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 01, 2011 01:20PM) (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments Here's a link on Amazon that shows some of the volumes in the "Children's Classics" series by Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York that Ann referenced above.

Amazon listing

Picture of another partial set of those same books

This shows some of the volumes in the set, all bound in burgundy, encyclopedia-looking.

My parents had a few different sets like this when we were growing up. If this doesn't turn out to be it, I'll try talking with a couple of my siblings to get info on the sets they ended up with and see if anything matches.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 152 comments Tales from the Arabian Nights
Found this in my library today. I have two others from this Reader's Digest The World's Best Reading Collection, The good earth and The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. I am not really sure where my copies of the books are if you what to reference them, but I did check out the library book if you have any questions about that one. They aren't gold lined but sometimes copies are published that don't have that.

message 9: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your assistance. I think the mystery has been solved! Ann, you were correct with thinking they were published by Holt, Rienhart and Winston.

What triggered me was in your link Rebecca, the gold logo of the two children on the front cover I can remember quite clearly. After doing a little looking about, I believe that the editions he had were these ones from 1961 http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/8-Volume-S...

I think because I remembered the Hans Christian Andersen book more clearly than the others, I believed they were all moroon or red in colour, with different colour on the spines. Perhaps this occured in a different addition.

Anyhoo, I'm off to begin collecting! Once again, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - you've made my day :D

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 152 comments Glad you found it! I guess I don't have to check my dad's collection of books or attempt to track down any of my missing books. :)

message 11: by Joybell (new)

Joybell | 13 comments Hehe, no you don't have to search his collection. But I do love the fact that you were willing to do so!

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments I'm glad you found what you were looking for! I actually had another link I meant to post that linked to a picture of that 1961 edition with the multi-colored spines, since that part seemed to match with the different "block of color" part of your description, but forgot to include that link. Oops! Luckily it was enough to trigger something for you!

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:31AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I have this set but didn't mention it because it didn't seem to totally fit:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

They do have deep maroon covers.

Joybell, I'm not sure which book(s) we should shelve. We can always add them to Goodreads if they're not here.