Cozy Mysteries discussion

Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Sprinkle with Murder
117 views
Buddy Reads > Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay (Nov 1st)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Michelle Gilmore I'll be reading Sprinkle with Murder during the month of November, and would love to discuss it as I go along. Is anyone else interested in knocking this one off of their humongous, ever-growing TBR pile?


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Sure! I have it on my shelf and now is as good of time as any! Yes, my TBR pile is gigantic and I have my bookclub selection coming up, but I should be able to whip this one out before then.


Michelle Gilmore That's great Tricia! Does Nov 15th work for you?


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I should definitely be done by Nov. 15th. Does that work for you too?


Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "I should definitely be done by Nov. 15th. Does that work for you too?"

That'll work :)


Nell | 1154 comments It's in my TBR too and I was planning to read culinary/food themed mysteries in the month of November. I'll join in the discussion.


Michelle Gilmore Nell wrote: "It's in my TBR too and I was planning to read culinary/food themed mysteries in the month of November. I'll join in the discussion."

That's great Nell!


bella (thespiceflows) This one isn't on my tbr pile, but I saw it at the library the other day and would love to join in the readalong. Cupcakes and murder, it sure does sound good!


Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "This one isn't on my tbr pile, but I saw it at the library the other day and would love to join in the readalong. Cupcakes and murder, it sure does sound good!"

The more the merrier yaboogirl!


Michelle Gilmore I decided I couldn't wait to go to the bookstore, or order it from amazon, so I bought it for my Nook.


bella (thespiceflows) ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I decided I couldn't wait to go to the bookstore, or order it from amazon, so I bought it for my Nook."

I love that about having a Nook - no need to wait.

Have you read her other series? It looks good too. I might have to add it to my wishlist too.


Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I decided I couldn't wait to go to the bookstore, or order it from amazon, so I bought it for my Nook."

I love that about having a Nook - no need to wait.

Have you read her ot..."

I haven't read her other series. I'm still fairly new to cozy mysteries. I'm reading food related during November, but I'm looking forward to going crazy with my Nook and building my "cozy" collection.


Michelle Gilmore I'll start it tonight, but will probably wait until the trick-or-treaters are done ringing the doorbell.


Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments This series quickly became a favorite of mine! I just read the newest in the series this month and enjoyed it every bit as much as this one and the 2nd one!


bella (thespiceflows) I downloaded the book from my library's ebook selection so I will probably start tonight as well.

I think my sweet tooth is going to love this book!


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Yeah, now I'll have to go to the bakery and buy cupcakes. Bad news, girls! What did you get me into?


bella (thespiceflows) Tricia wrote: "Yeah, now I'll have to go to the bakery and buy cupcakes. Bad news, girls! What did you get me into?"

That's what I'm worried about too. I recently gave up muffins and started in on donuts! It's going to be cupcakes next!


Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "Yeah, now I'll have to go to the bakery and buy cupcakes. Bad news, girls! What did you get me into?"

I'm reading this on my Nook. There's a recipe section included. When I saw that, I was thinking that I should've known better than to read anything with cupcakes on the cover, LOL!


Michelle Gilmore I'm only as far as chapter 2, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Anyone else get started yet?


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Yes, I saw the recipes, but I don't bake any more! Easier to buy them at my favorite bakery! That way I can't eat the whole batch, only what I buy!!!


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I started last night, too, but only read a couple of pages. It was late and I had just finished To Hell in a Handbasket, a cozy mystery by our own Goodreads author, Beth Groundwater. You might want to try her out sometime. Entertaining and fun.


bella (thespiceflows) Tricia wrote: "I started last night, too, but only read a couple of pages. It was late and I had just finished To Hell in a Handbasket, a cozy mystery by our own Goodreads author, Beth Groundwater. You might wa..."

Oh that series looks good! I've had a big break from cozies while reading other genres and I'm finding so many great cozies I want to read!


Michelle Gilmore I'm finding this one really hits the spot so far. I really like the way the author gives you the back story on the friendship between Mel, Tate, and Angie.


Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "I started last night, too, but only read a couple of pages. It was late and I had just finished To Hell in a Handbasket, a cozy mystery by our own Goodreads author, Beth Groundwater. You might wa..."

I still consider myself a cozy newbie, so I'll definitely adding that one to my TBR pile.


Suzanne Sounds fun! I'll add it!


message 26: by Michelle (last edited Nov 01, 2011 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle Gilmore I've read to chapter 9, and I had to force myself to put it down. If I don't finish reading it tonight, definitely tomorrow. I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I do have few questions: (view spoiler)


Michelle Gilmore All those cupcakes- the pina colada's and the blonde bombshells have me really craving sweets. There's no way I'm not getting a cupcake tomorrow! I always see a pink van that has cupcakes painted on the side on my way in to work. From here on out, I'm going to pay more attention to it.


Michelle Gilmore Melodie wrote: "This series quickly became a favorite of mine! I just read the newest in the series this month and enjoyed it every bit as much as this one and the 2nd one!"

I already know this a series I have to continue with.


Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "All those cupcakes- the pina colada's and the blonde bombshells have me really craving sweets. There's no way I'm not getting a cupcake tomorrow! I always see a pink van that has cupcakes painted..."

The Blonde Bombshells are very good! I've made them a couple of times!


bella (thespiceflows) I'm starting today. One of my boys is home sick from daycare today do I'm hoping to get started with Sprinkle with Murder while he naps.


bella (thespiceflows) Okay I'm up to chapter 9 too and I'm probably going to stop for now. Will probably read more tonight.

I'm loving it so far. For a first book in a series it is really great. In response to Michelle's spoiler thoughts....

(view spoiler)


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I'm about half-way done! I couldn't put it down last night. The plot is great although "Tatums" is a little too weak of a man for me!!! Ha! I would like to have a pina colada cupcake right now. For some reason the pineapple/coconut ingredients sound yummy.


Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "I'm about half-way done! I couldn't put it down last night. The plot is great although "Tatums" is a little too weak of a man for me!!! Ha! I would like to have a pina colada cupcake right now...."

I made a pina colada cake today, it came out pretty good!

I know what you mean about Tate, I'm hoping that there's more just beneath the surface. I'm charging my nook now, and will get back to reading it within the next hour or so.


Michelle Gilmore Is this everyone's first book by Jenn McKinlay? It's mine, but I really like the writing style, so I'll buy the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series.


bella (thespiceflows) It's my first one by her and I just love it. I'm almost halfway done. I did pick up the second book in the series today and I think I will read the next book straight away.

I'm craving some Death by Chocolate!!


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Is this everyone's first book by Jenn McKinlay? It's mine, but I really like the writing style, so I'll buy the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series."

Yes, this is my first one by McKinlay. I will definitely search out more of her stories.


message 37: by Nell (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nell | 1154 comments I suggest you change the date from November 15th since you've already started this discussion. This will be my next cozy read so I can join in.


message 38: by Michelle (last edited Nov 02, 2011 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle Gilmore Nell wrote: "I suggest you change the date from November 15th since you've already started this discussion. This will be my next cozy read so I can join in."

Ooops! I guess I got too excited. I'll change the date right now :)


Michelle Gilmore I finished reading it late last night. I wrote a spoiler free review. I hold off on posting anything too detailed until others have read it too. I will say that I really enjoyed it, and I'll most likely purchase the the other books in the series Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2) by Jenn McKinlay Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3) by Jenn McKinlay by the end of the week.


bella (thespiceflows) I just finished! Even though I did guess the murderer, I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the ending, and I'm definitely going to read book 2 straight away.


Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "I just finished! Even though I did guess the murderer, I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the ending, and I'm definitely going to read book 2 straight away."

I guessed the murderer too, but was surprised by the motivation/ connection. Loved it!


bella (thespiceflows) ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "yabookgirl wrote: "I just finished! Even though I did guess the murderer, I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the ending, and I'm definitely going to read book 2 straight away."

I guessed t..."


Did you like the little bit of romance in it? I loved that, and that's probably why I've already started book 2. I can't wait to see where that leads to.


Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "yabookgirl wrote: "I just finished! Even though I did guess the murderer, I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the ending, and I'm definitely going to read book 2 straight aw..."

I loved it!! It seems like from the few cozy mysteries that I've read, there's always a little bit or romance, and it's just enough to add to the story, not derail the mystery. (view spoiler)


Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments I've already read....cute read!!


bella (thespiceflows) ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "yabookgirl wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "yabookgirl wrote: "I just finished! Even though I did guess the murderer, I really enjoyed it. I especially loved the ending, and I'm definitely going to rea..."

I love the little bit of romances in cozies. I think this is what makes me love them so much!
(view spoiler)


message 46: by Nell (last edited Nov 03, 2011 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nell | 1154 comments Finished the book today. It was a quick read. I really like the characters especially the 3 friends from childhood. Thought the story line and the mystery were well-developed, especially for a debut. I picked a character I didn't like as the murderer then kept reading to see if I was right and to figure out how. That kept me interested in the story. Eager to read the 2nd one to see how the relationships develop.


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I'm done too! Loved it and ordered two more by McKinlay. I liked all of the characters - she did a good job with them - a great variety. I also liked the way she brought quotations from old films into the story. Of course, I knew none of them! The one quote I liked from the book that made me laugh was when the first "lawyer" tax attorney looked at Mel "as if she were an abstract painting and he wasn't sure which side was up." For some reason that just struck me as funny!


bella (thespiceflows) Tricia wrote: "I'm done too! Loved it and ordered two more by McKinlay. I liked all of the characters - she did a good job with them - a great variety. I also liked the way she brought quotations from old film..."

I love the quotes too! I'm reading the second one now and there are more movie quotes, but none that I recognise. I know the movies, but haven't seen them enough to get the quotes :(


Michelle Gilmore I really liked the quotes too! I'm honestly planning of purchasing a few of those old movies that were mentioned. That was a nice touch.


Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I'll be reading Sprinkle with Murder during the month of November, and would love to discuss it as I go along. Is anyone else interested in knocking this one off of their humongous..."

Thanks, Michelle, for getting all of us going! This was a fun book and although it's not yet even close to November 15, we all ended up being speed-readers.


« previous 1
back to top