The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > is Daenerys really barren?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faiz (new)

Faiz | 80 comments "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

It has been drummed into our heads since book one that this means that the will never have children, but I can't imagine such a prophecy NOT coming true, its just too obvious.

I found this interpretation elsewhere:

"The sun can refer to Quentyn Martell. He (view spoiler)(ADwD). Daenerys noted that the Dothraki sea was withering since summer is over, so that can be the seas going dry. The mountains blowing in the wind like leaves can refer to the pyramids in Meereen that her dragons destroyed."

It's a little weak, but i see its potential. Also the (view spoiler)(ADwD) makes me even more suspicious.

message 2: by woo (new)

woo (alsowoo) | 3 comments I started to get this exact same impression around the time she's stranded in the Dothraki sea and the events that are passing in Meereen because of the Martell connection to the sun. The entire notion that she was barren seemed much more dire prior to Prince Aegon being revealed as she isn't necessarily the end of the Targaryen line anymore.

With that being the case, it seems much more possible that you're onto something, but that also introduces what the hell Drogo would have to do with this as the mentioning of her bearing a living child now just reads like a prerequisite item to a fortune we believed up until now to just be a laundry list of "ridiculous shit that would happen first before this guy will ever cease to be just a shell."