Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Film, TV, and Comics > Best Sci-Fi Movie Ever!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore There's still so many sci-fi movies that I haven't seen, so it's really hard to decide. But I love, love, love movies that have that whole Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe happening. For example, The Invasion, starrting Nicole Kidman which came out back 2006/2007. I thought that one was really good.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I also love 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later. I was really hoping there'd be another "28" movie.

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 30 comments My favorite SF movies are "Mr. Nobody", "Gattaca", and "Contact". I prefer the "makes you think" side of SF.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore mlady_rebecca wrote: "My favorite SF movies are "Mr. Nobody", "Gattaca", and "Contact". I prefer the "makes you think" side of SF."

I love Gattaca!

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments I love Contact! :)

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I've never seen Contact. I'm going to put it on my list of movies to watch when I'm snowed in at some point this winter.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments I love Galaxy Quest - cracked me up! I've gone to a Star Trek convention and except for the spaceship crash, very similar. Also, in the late 1970s/early 1980s, my cousin was at an apartment building opening in Antioch, California that Leonard Nimoy cut the ribbon at. Antioch is a nowhere place that is known for it's paper mill that closed down. So, I guess they were doing whatever brought home the money, just like in the movie. And the way Tim Allen did a shoulder roll instead of walking - so funny.

I also love all the Star Trek movies and TV shows, all the Star Wars movies, all the Alien movies (including the one with Winona Rider). I love Firefly (TV show and movies), Earth 2, Gallactica and the newer Dr. Who. I'll pretty much see any sci-fi movie.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:53PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Carolyn F. wrote: "I love Galaxy Quest - cracked me up! I've gone to a Star Trek convention and except for the spaceship crash, very similar. Also, in the late 1970s/early 1980s, my cousin was at an apartment build..."

I wanted to go a Star Trek convention once, but ended up not going because I didn't want to go alone. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would've gone alone and had a great time I'm sure.

I remember really enjoying Galaxy Quest. I might have to watch that one again sometime.

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments Oh I forgot about Blade Runner - really good too.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Carolyn F. wrote: "Oh I forgot about Blade Runner - really good too."

Definitely!!

message 11: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Oh I forgot about Blade Runner - really good too."

Ridley Scott is my favourite Film Director... Which has just reminded me of another fantastic sci-fi film he made... Alien.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Anthony wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Oh I forgot about Blade Runner - really good too."

Ridley Scott is my favourite Film Director... Which has just reminded me of another fantastic sci-fi film he made... Alien."

Oh my goodness! I love the Alien film series. That is true sci-fi horror. Sigourney Weaver is such a great actress!!

message 13: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Sigourney Weaver is such a great actress!!"

She sure is... :) I'm biased but still think the first film was the best of the series.

p.s. If you like a bit of sci-fi horror then perhaps you might get a kick out of reading my novel at some point? I classified it as a sci-fi thriller but a Canadian lady recently said that she found it super-scary... whoops!! (it's listed on my Author Page) cheers AB

message 14: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments For 'make you think' SF movies, try The Quiet Earth. Once I figured out what was happening it was awesome! The friend I went with was lost the entire time. LOL.

It wasn't that hard to figure out. Really. I was only 17 and into science and science fiction.

Some of my favorites? Android. The first three Star Wars. The Quiet Earth. I, Robot. Blade Runner. Alien. Planet of the Apes(originals), Tron, Contact was good. I liked the new version of Star Trek. The Wrath of Khan was good too.

I'm tired and blanking out on others. I adore SF movies and books and have seen so many I can't remember them all. LOL.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments Oh, Planet of the Apes - loved those too. Original films mostly.

I forgot about ET and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Loved those too.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Carolyn F. wrote: "Oh, Planet of the Apes - loved those too. Original films mostly.

I forgot about ET and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Loved those too."

The Planet of the Apes has to be one of the best SFR film series of all time!

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Anthony wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Sigourney Weaver is such a great actress!!"

She sure is... :) I'm biased but still think the first film was the best of the series.

p.s. If you like a bit of sci-fi horror t..."

Thanks for the info Anthony. Your book sounds great, and I've added it to mt TBR ☺

message 18: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments I might be (considerably) behind the times but I just watched Cloverfield last night... OMG: Blair Witch meets Alien meets Mission Impossible meets Godzilla... Loved it! :)

message 19: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments My daughter loved Cloverfield too.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I haven't watched Cloverfield yet, I'll have to add that one to my list.

message 21: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments Most definitely... it was a "yell expletives at the telly" film (well, for me at least!)... :)

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I'm a huge fan of the Alien series, but I think Aliens is my favorite.

I have a soft spot for Starship Troopers. I know it's very different from the book, but I cannot help but liking it. The theme song is my vacuuming music :)

message 23: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments Jan wrote: "I have a soft spot for Starship Troopers. I know it's very different from the book, but I cannot help but liking it. The theme song is my vacuuming music :) "

Hoovering songs, soft spots and starship troopers made me randomly remember "I lost my heart to a starship trooper", the 1978 UK single by Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip... (not that the spandex clad video had any affect whatsoever on an impressionable young teenager!) ... I'll probably be humming it all day now. LOL :)

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments OMG Anthony Thank You!!

That was a truly glorious song. I didn't know it, but it's so completely my thing (I'm a fan of 70s and 80s music). Seriously awesome.

Here's the video, for those who want to check out the glitter! and the faux planets! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwilC...

message 25: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments :) the spandex is just how I remembered it...
(am now going to sneak off and hide away in shame...)

message 26: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments LOL. So, were those fembots?

message 27: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments Anthony wrote: "Jan wrote: "I have a soft spot for Starship Troopers. I know it's very different from the book, but I cannot help but liking it. The theme song is my vacuuming music :) "

Hoovering songs, soft spo..."

You can never have enough glitter. And as everyone knows, starship trooper = doing the robot.

message 28: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments is that really the "Phantom of the Opera" Sarah Brightman? I am speechless. LOLOL!

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane Dooley | 72 comments I know all the words to "I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper" because I've watched that video so many times. Love it so much! I could probably do all the goofy dance moves too. It was a huge hit in Britain back in the day. The dance troupe, Hot Gossip, appeared on the British music show, Top of the Pops. It was required watching for all teenage Brits.

message 30: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Bellaleigh (anthonybellaleigh) | 8 comments Looks like I'm going to have to stay in hiding for a while longer...! :)

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane Dooley | 72 comments *throws glitter at Anthony*