Literary Exploration discussion

Writers Corner > NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Is anyone else planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

message 2: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Okay, I used the link but... what exactly are you supposed to do?
(Just) Write a novel in a month? Can you participate when you´re from Germany? :)

message 3: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Basically National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an annual internet-based creative writing project which challenges participants to write 50,000 words of a new novel between November 1 and November 30. Anyone in the world can sign up and do it.

message 4: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Mmh... I´ll see if I have enough time (and enough words).

message 5: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Knowledge Lost, Is this a group activity? Sounds like fun. Are you doing it?

message 6: by Franky (new)

Franky That sounds very cool. I wish I had the time. I think I can do a few short stories, though :)

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Franky wrote: "That sounds very cool. I wish I had the time. I think I can do a few short stories, though :)"

Sure you do - stretch them out, one of them. (I don't have time either - the reading will probably go out the window - but it sounds like fun:)

message 8: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

NaNoWriMo happens every November, I was just interested to see who was participating

message 9: by Marlene (last edited Nov 05, 2011 04:33AM) (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments I´m all in. I cam to this conclusion yesterday evening - so I have much to do to make up for my late decision. Well, lucky me that I already have an idea.
Negative side effects: I´m going to write in german, because, well, I just don´t know if I´m able to write 50,000 words in english. I´m not this bad, but not that good either...

Good luck to my (newly) fellow writers. :)

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Good luck to everyone participating. I tried last year but am not a writer.

message 11: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments How many words did you write? And by the way, I don´t think I´m going to reach the 50,000 mark. School and life are way too busy for that. ;)

message 12: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

It doesn't matter how many words you write, its all about the experience. I've only written 2000 words, I'm a bit behind

message 13: by Marlene (last edited Nov 08, 2011 08:40AM) (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments If I want to make up for what I missed, I have to write 2000 words a day. You´ll be the first to know if I reach my goal. ;)

But I alreay made a good experience. It´s just so much different from normal writing, because you don´t really care about the story. Well, it´s not bad, but I´m just not thinking about it much. This is so much easier to write... :D It´s a lot of fun.

message 14: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I decided to give it a go - 5,000 words so far - trying for the whole thing! We'll see. It is a lot of fun :)

message 15: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Well done Luana, you are doing very well :)

message 16: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments I can only agree with you there, Luana. It is a lot of fun. I´m going for 4,000 words today.

message 17: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments This is interesting. I didnt see this earlier, now that i have, I would give it a try. Let's see how the experience goes. :)

message 18: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments I decided just yesterday too. Welcome to the club, then. :)

message 19: by Zino (new)

Zino | 15 comments iam trying to write 1000 words per day then i will see

message 20: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I officially signed up :) So far 8,572 words ... had to get a jump on the week when it will slow down.

message 21: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments How exactly DO you sign up officially? I just found out about NaNo on the 4th november, but there still is next year.

message 22: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

message 23: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments And how do you activate the word count? Copy everything you´ve written for NaNo into the novels excerp or what? I just don´t get it. Sorry if I´m a little dumb. ;)

message 24: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments There's a place at the top of the screen "Update Word Count" - just enter it manually and be sure to save.

message 25: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments Marlene wrote: "And how do you activate the word count? Copy everything you´ve written for NaNo into the novels excerp or what? I just don´t get it. Sorry if I´m a little dumb. ;)"

I was going through same while I was trying to figure out the website. Though I havent even started writing yet. Urghh :/

message 26: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments One big cheer for Paras then! You can do it! :)

message 27: by Marlene (last edited Nov 09, 2011 04:51AM) (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Oh, another question from miss stupid: How do you change your photo at your NaNo-account?
As you say, getting to know the website is even more difficult than writing! Help!

message 28: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Click edit user settings up the top

message 29: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Thanks ever so!

message 30: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments How's everyone doing? I'm at 17,100 and need to make a push Sat & Sun to stay on pace.

message 31: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments This was a great exercise - it kept me pushing through to the 50K and then some. If anyone thinks of doing it in the future, go for it - and just keep writing away. It's not about having a polished manuscript at the end, although if that is the case, that's great, but to just keep moving (my perspective anyway)!
Congrats to all participating!

message 32: by Marlene (last edited Nov 24, 2011 10:48PM) (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments @ Kim: Sorry, I just saw that I promised you´d be the first to know if I reached 50.000.
Well, umh, sorry again? I totally forgot. Im at 60.000 words now, so I was way faster than I aticipated. This was/is a great challenge to see how much I actually could write. I think NaNo really helped me find out how to handle my writing in future. :)

A big Thank You to Knowledge Lost who made me think about doing NaNo in the first place. Im SO happy I did!

message 33: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Well done Marlene and Luana :)

message 34: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Thanks Knowledge Lost! :)

message 35: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments Wow... Bog congrats to both of you :))

message 36: by Franky (new)

Franky Contrats, Luana and Marlene. I wasn't as productive. Thanks KL for pointing out this event. I'll have to be better prepared for next year.

message 37: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Thanks you guys!
Hey - for anyone who signed up, be sure and read Brandon Sanderson's pep talk, he gives some great advice. It's under Fun Stuff.

message 38: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Thanks from me too. :)
And I really liked the pep talks too. There even was one from Erin Morgenstern, the author of The Night Circus. The pep talks from our german froum moderators were quite funny too, though I dont think I could post them here. xD

message 39: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Who's doing NaNoWriMo this year? I'm off to a huge start and written 75 words :/

message 40: by Joseph (new)

Joseph I'm doing it, along with my three assignments which might be a fools move...but I still want to do it.

I have a grand total of the title atm. xD will get down to it later.

message 41: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments I forgot abt it till now. I am also traveling this month.. not sure if I'll be able to do it

message 42: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I just signed up! Tried to get back to writing for some time now, but not with the verve needed. Maybe NaNoWriMo will help.

message 43: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
i also have a bit of travel this month, but i have a story burning on my heart, so i'm going to use this as an opportunity to try and get it out.