Around the United States in 52 Books discussion

General Discussion > Welcome

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesli (new)

Lesli (lesmel) | 70 comments Mod
Thanks for joining the group! So, 52 books, 52 weeks, all some how linked to a state, district, or territory of the United States. Don't feel like there are any rules here for reading. There aren't. Flat out, so long as you can tie your read to a something in the US, go for it. It's just a fun way to link up what you read for a year.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenefertari) | 4 comments Huh, so why the clarification...

Ouh yeah, me. ;)

message 3: by Lesli (last edited Oct 30, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Jen wrote: "Huh, so why the clarification...Ouh yeah, me. ;)"

exactly...

"there are rocks in my socks, said the ox to the fox..." *grins*

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenefertari) | 4 comments Am I allowed to re-read? :)

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 31 comments I haven't started to come up with any titles but I did manage to remember all of the states and territories! Some of these places are going to be a bit tricky to find something to read about them. But then, isn't that what a challenge is for?

message 6: by Lesli (new)

@Jen -- hmmmmmm, i'm considering the likelihood of being arrested for interstate tazering.

@Rebecca -- if i could find something on the Palmyra Atoll, i probably would read it. who has ever heard of the Palmyra Atoll?

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 31 comments There is a great crime mystery about Palmyra Atoll called And the Sea Will Tell, based on a real life case that is chilling. I don't know if it is still in print or not.

message 8: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog Hi everyone! I Just joined and am wondering how you are going about finding books linked to a particular state.

message 9: by Lesli (new)

Lorifog wrote: "Hi everyone! I Just joined and am wondering how you are going about finding books linked to a particular state."

Hi! I did a few things...

Scoured my Nook collection for anything I owned, scoured my to read list, searched the GR listopias, and used the "you might like" GR feature. I also used Wikipedia for the further reading/bibliography thing.

message 10: by Coralee (new)

Coralee | 4 comments You can also scour places on Goodreads with this link. It isn't the most comprehensive list, but a good start.
http://www.goodreads.com/places

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (867_5309) | 5 comments Lorifog wrote: "Hi everyone! I Just joined and am wondering how you are going about finding books linked to a particular state."

Check out
http://www.bookssetin.com/
I also went through my to-read list and noted any books that listed the setting.

message 12: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!