Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Video Games > Skyrims anyone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments Am I the only one who is ridiculously excited for the new Elder Scrolls game to come out? 11-11-11 is not so far as it once was. I'm practically frothing at the mouth.

message 2: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments As in a follow-up to Oblivion?

message 3: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments Yes, Oblivion was the fourth in an ongoing video game series.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky I am beside myself with joy. It looks so breathtaking and their AI is so ingenously done.

World of Warcraft ended indefinitly and definitively for me with the onset of Pandas. SWOTR and Skyrim shall keep my entertained throughout the cold cold winter months though (books as well, naturally!)

message 5: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments But of course. I personally think that video games are the best medium for conveying a story. Especially an epic fantasy.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky They are a good one for sure. Dragon Age had a great story line that I loved.

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions...
The Smithsonian is doing an exhibit on the art of video games. I am really looking forward to it!

message 7: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments WoW and Pandas... that's weird. I hadn't played WoW in ages, but stopped in when I got 2 weeks free game time. Pandas just don't seem to fit with the world they've created. Maybe it's an idea better suited to younger or international players.

message 8: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments The pandas was definitely a ploy to keep the dying WoW world alive. I think the slow ebbing away of this fab is inexorable though. I can't say I'm too disappointed.

message 9: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments I will be getting Skyrim too. It looks so immersive.

message 10: by Arshad (new)

Arshad Ahsanuddin (pactarcanum) I finished Oblivion a while ago, then went back and worked my way through Morrowind, though I haven't finished the two expansion packs yet. The last two enties in the series impressed me with their wide open storylines and the ability to just wander into trouble. I am greatly looking forward to Skyrim. Every fantasy series needs more dragons.

message 11: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments I've heard that the elder scrolls novels are worth getting into if you're deep into the lore of the series.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert MacAnthony (steerpike7) | 218 comments Skyrim looks great. I'll get it and play it as my single-player RPG, and continue with RIFT for MMO.

message 13: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments I think Dragon Dogma looks good as well but in a different way than Skyrim.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina (nicotinca) | 8 comments I'm getting Skyrim too, but I will probably wait to start playing it until I'm finished with exams. As much as it pains me.. But when I'm done it will be my done-with-exams treat!
Oblivion was ok, the story was a bit weak. I hope they have a better story for us in Skyrim, it sure sounds good. Dragonborn and all that. And it looks so beautiful!

message 15: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments I agree and I too will abstain from Skyrim until exam week is over.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) Must have, oh yes. I concur with Tina, though, in regards to Oblivion...I'm hoping vikings and Norse-related goodness, mixed with some good old-fashioned Dragon pillaging makes this one sing. They have so much material to work with, story-wise, so hopefully it's appropriately enthralling.

message 17: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments Milo wrote: "I think Dragon Dogma looks good as well but in a different way than Skyrim."

It does look good. Could be the start of a very good franchise.

message 18: by Milo (last edited Nov 06, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Milo | 21 comments I think the Monster Hunter games were always a pleasure. Bethesda never really got the combat side of their games in order. It's a shame, those are the only things they're lacking in.

message 19: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments Is proving to be a very good game indeed. It is distracting me from reading.

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments I have Skyrim :)
I love Skyrim :)

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 61 comments I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get this so I can play it too :)

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments I've been playing a LOT of Skyrim lately. Bathesda never disappoints (unless you're playing on PS3, apparently).

This is probably the best in the series.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) I'm currently working my way through Oblivion. My sister has Skyrim and brought it over when she came to visit...now I'm insanely jealous.

message 24: by Milo (new)

Milo | 21 comments Three words...no more life.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) So very, very true.

message 26: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Ronald wrote: "I'm holding off on skyrim. If I buy it... I will lose a month of my life. I can't afford that right now :P"

LOL! Very true. I pulled out Oblivion in preparation a few months back and still got sucked into it. I'm afraid to buy Skyrim!

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) Oblivion sucked away weeks of my time until I decided that I'd rather catch up on my reading and write my story. Now I only play an hour every week or so. I think that's only because I had finished the quests that I thought were pretty good.

If I did manage to get my hands on Skyrim...well, I think I'd become fused to the couch.

message 28: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments It's just hard to describe how, although it sucks to get swallowed and spit out by a dragon, it LOOKS pretty dang cool!

message 29: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I am hopelessly addicted to Skyrim! So stoked to have the skeleton key and the spellbreaker. Wish the goldbrand was in the game.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 61 comments Just started playing Oblivion today. I liked it but wish the game gave you a little more info on how to do some simple stuff like drop items and lockpicking. Had to Google those.

message 31: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments That's the truth! When I went back it was a thousand times easier because of learning curve. Another hint--fast travel between cities and other locations when you are task-minded.

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments Oblivion is next up after we finish Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll.

message 33: by FAT MAN (new)

FAT MAN GO BOOM (fmgb) | 32 comments Yes Skyrim is one of the best RPGs out there... I am loving it... and looking forward to a 2nd and 3rd play though...

a must have for any gamer...

message 34: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 134 comments loving it, although i dont have so much time for it atm... got a neat redguard warrior who looks like the frontman of Evergrey haha

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I have it...but I'm not very good at it. So it gathers dust.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I have it...but I'm not very good at it. So it gathers dust.

message 37: by Traci (new)

Traci I get overwhelmed with these games. I spend hours wondering around, gathering items, talking to people only to realize ten hours later I haven't done anything. Lol.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 61 comments My boyfriend did end up buying this and a bigger TV (so now I can read all the text on screen) and now I'm a Skyrim junkie. The great thing is that we both love playing and watching each other and helping each other out.

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberlynnee) | 7 comments I own it but havent played much due to MW3 lol i have to get on it!

message 40: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I got it last week as a reward for finishing my taxes. I may or may not have already logged 38 hours, despite working and taking a class. As addictive as Oblivion with even more storyline options.

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments I was never a big fan of the previous Elder Scrolls games. They lacked immersion and direction i.m.o. But Skyrim planted itself firmly into my top 5 games ever. I've logged near 300 hours in game now, just over 200 of those on a single character. Still haven't done everything there is to do.

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Annnnnd we're (hubby and I) are at level 14? and still going. We even stayed up all night one night - becoming Arch-Mage of Winterhold College.

So sad, lol!

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 61 comments I'm on my second playthrough. Although not playing much now because of school and a practicum.

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm on my second playthrough. Although not playing much now because of school and a practicum."

We've had it since the release and played for about an hour total at first. The beginning takes so long to get going that it was annoying. Now...it's a lot more fun. But still annoying at times, lol.

I'm not sure what mission we're going to take on next...but it might have to wait until after I finish the current dungeon level in Torchlight.

message 45: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 82 comments Does anyone know the exact day that Skyrim Online is going to be released??

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Georgia wrote: "Does anyone know the exact day that Skyrim Online is going to be released??"

There will be no online nor co-op play in Skyrim. Todd Howard has already confirmed that: "No, we would rather focus on making the single-player as solid as possible."

There is a Mod available, however.

message 47: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments hm. i just googled it and it sounds like it was given to another developer to turn into a MMO to be released 2013. Who knows.

message 48: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 82 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "There will be no online nor co-op play in Skyrim. Todd Howard has already confirmed that: "No, we would...""

Are u sure..? Cause there's a site and all but I just can't find the date..

message 49: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "hm. i just googled it and it sounds like it was given to another developer to turn into a MMO to be released 2013. Who knows."

Link? All I could find were speculations and requests and Mods. But I don't use Google any more, so...

message 50: by Georgia (new)

« previous 1