Red Dress Ink Fans discussion

Book Club?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Have any of you ever joined a book club in your area? I've always wanted to do it, but I always chicken out or talk myself out of it.

I've read so many books about book clubs or knitting clubs or shoe clubs (Shoe addicts anonymous, haha) where women who join end up forming close bonds and discovering themselves. As cheesy as it sounds, this would be so fun to do! Especially since I read all the time anyway...and book clubs could help discover new books I never would have thought to read.

If you're ever joined one or have had any experiences with them let me know! And if you have any opinions about them (good or bad) I'd like to know too!

message 2: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments I have always wanted to join one as well. I couldn't find one in my area so I jumped online and found goodreads to connect to people online in the meantime :)

message 3: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Haha exactly why I joined goodreads too!!

message 4: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments By the way, Kourtney, I saw in your profile that you are a Cowboys fan! I'm not a huge football person because let's face it, I don't understand the sport very well haha...but go Cowboys!! A lot of my friends and family are huge fans since I live in Texas, so I guess I am a fan by association!

message 5: by Toni (new)

Toni (cherrycherry) | 1 comments That's so funny. It's why I joined goodreads as well!

I attempted to start a book club in my area using craiglist and I had a few replies. I started a group on here for the club and before we even began it fizzled out.

I read so much that I thought it would be nice to meet new people and talk about books we've all read. Maybe one day!

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 5567 comments Mod
I would love to join an "in person" book club. But I don't know of any in my area and I wouldn't even begin to know how to start one (or if there's even enough interest). I dilly-dallied with the idea of starting a knitting club (after reading a book that featured just such a group in it, lol) a couple years ago, but it never got off the ground because I just wans't sure how to go about getting one going.
Plus, it's much easier for me to be able to jump online whenever I have the time rather than committ to a certain time on a certain day. :)

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments I actually found my "in person" book club through good reads. The person who started it just titled it the name of a local town- book club. We started with 3 of us meeting at Starbucks and now have 7 of us and we meet at each others homes. I do not know what I would do without these girls, was lucky to meet such great girls.

message 8: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) | 754 comments Alicia wrote: "I actually found my "in person" book club through good reads. The person who started it just titled it the name of a local town- book club. We started with 3 of us meeting at Starbucks and now ha..."

I started doing the same thing but did not have any success. Do you have any suggestions?

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Alicia wrote: "I actually found my "in person" book club through good reads. The person who started it just titled it the name of a local town- book club. We started with 3 of us meeting at Starbucks and now ha..."

I wish there were something like that around where I live but there isn't. :(

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments I think you can search for friends by how close they live to you maybe friend some people that live in the area/have some of the same book interests and ask if they would be interested in starting a book club? Ours expanded because the 3 original friends then brought others in. I wonder if you could also post a flyer at your local library. Depends how serious you also want the discussions. My group started with chick lit, but now we read everything but we tend to talk more about anything and everything vs the books :-)

message 11: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) | 754 comments Alicia wrote: "I think you can search for friends by how close they live to you maybe friend some people that live in the area/have some of the same book interests and ask if they would be interested in starting ..."

I posted flyers at the local starbucks. My library has tended to be a little funky about such things. I had two ladies show up but then they never came back. I was thinking about trying again at this new library I volunteer at.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky | 73 comments Most of my friends read so we decided to start one together. It also gives us a chance to get together more often as well as read something we normally wouldn't.

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Becky wrote: "Most of my friends read so we decided to start one together. It also gives us a chance to get together more often as well as read something we normally wouldn't."

We used to only read chick lit but then we decided to have a schedule so only one person picked the book and it could be anything. Turned out to be a great idea because I was introduced to The Hunger Games (which I LOVED)- never would of picked up that book if I didn't have to read it.

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Becky wrote: "Most of my friends read so we decided to start one together. It also gives us a chance to get together more often as well as read something we normally wouldn't."

Most of the people I know don't like to read, so that idea won't work for me. :(
Maybe I'm hanging with the wrong crowd. LOL!

message 15: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Once again Stacy and I are the same person - my friends don't read! And when they come over and see my bookcase (which just doubled - I bought a second bookcase this weekend!) they are dumbfounded and can't understand why I have so many books.

Stacy - I'm moving to Michigan and we are starting a book club!!!

message 16: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "Once again Stacy and I are the same person - my friends don't read! And when they come over and see my bookcase (which just doubled - I bought a second bookcase this weekend!) they are dumbfounded ..."

Works for me. LOL!

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky | 73 comments Thats too bad... My sister-in-law is a big time reader also so we share books or just swap readers. She has a nook and I have a Sony Reader...

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara Becky wrote: "Thats too bad... My sister-in-law is a big time reader also so we share books or just swap readers. She has a nook and I have a Sony Reader..."

Both of my sisters-in-law, mother-in-law, my mom and sister are readers so we are always switching. I also just got one from a friend that's called Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman and it's really good so far.

message 19: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Stacy, did you get the knitting club idea from Friday Night Knitting Club? SUCH a good book. I have read the sequels yet, though. If not, let me know what book it is because I'd love to read it :)

Yeah the other day I Googled book clubs in my area and did find some. I emailed the person who hosts and is in charge of one of them but she never emailed back. It was called Books and Brunch. Hopefully I find something but either way I am so glad to be a part of this group :)

message 20: by Stacy (new)

No, actually it was from a Cate Kendall book - Versace Sisters. I haven't read FNKC yet. :)

Googling is a good idea, I should try that.

message 21: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments So I realize this is super old, but guess what... I just joined a real live book club! One of my coworkers is in a book club, so when I asked how she found it she said she went to MeetUp.com

I did that and ended up finding one in my area. It's brand new and the first meeting is June 24. I believe the first book is Gone Girl, which I haven't read yet. You guys should totally check out that website. There are SO many book clubs and other random clubs that you can find in your location.

message 22: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments I'm nervous, though! I"m pretty sure I'm the youngest in the group, and I have no idea what the meeting is going to be like! I imagine it like a classroom where the teacher asks questions about symbolism and metaphors haha. But honestly, when I read a book, I just fly through it and don't pay too much attention to that stuff anymore. Ahhh! If anyone has been to a real book club meeting, let me know what your experience was like. :)

message 23: by Stacy (new)

I'm signed up on MeetUp too. I originally signed up to be part of one of the singles groups but was too nervous to actually go to any of the events. LOL

They have a ton of different groups on there and now I've been thinking about joining one of the family groups for something for my daughter and I to do.

I'll have to check if there are any book groups, and if not....maybe I'll be brave enough to start one (if I have time). :)

message 24: by Stacy (new)

I'm on MeetUp too. I originally signed up to be part of one of the singles groups but was too nervous to actually go to any of the events. LOL

They have a ton of different groups on there and now I've been thinking about joining one of the family groups for something for my daughter and I to do.

I'll have to check if there are any book groups, and if not....maybe I'll be brave enough to start one (if I have time). :)

message 25: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Stacy you totally should! The group I joined is brand new - this one girl started it earlier this month. And you started this group, so you'll do great. :)

message 26: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) I do meetup.com as well. They have a one drink minimum book club that meets up at TGIF in my area. I also joined a walking group through them, too nervous to do any of the singles stuff though. There are several book clubs on meetup in my area definitely worth checking out.

message 27: by Stacy (new)

I didn't have a chance to look at it last night, I'll try to remember too tonight.

As for creating a book group.....online is SOOO much easier, LOL! If I did, I'd need to wait until I'm done with school, which won't be til mid-Decemberish - though I do have a summer break coming up in a week!!!!

I need to rejoin the singles group again, but again, don't know if I'm nervy enough to actually go to anythng. :)

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 372 comments I keep trying to join book clubs and then chickening out, too - glad it's not just me! There's one at my library, which I can literally see from my house, and I keep making excuses not to go to it. Such a weirdo. I signed up for another club but I didn't get the book in time for this month. Maybe next month? I wish all the RDI girls were closer so we could do a real-life club!!

message 29: by Stacy (new)

Melanie wrote: "I keep trying to join book clubs and then chickening out, too - glad it's not just me! There's one at my library, which I can literally see from my house, and I keep making excuses not to go to it..."

I know Melanie! Wouldn't that be awesome?!

Part of the reason I'm hesitant on starting a book club is that I'd like to stick to chick lit and I don't know how many people around here would come, or where to even have it at. :) I'm just afraid it would be a failure.

message 30: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Yeah I really think I'm going to chicken out of going to the book club! It would be really nice to find one for chick lit only, though...I wonder if there are any in my area! The one I joined is called "20 somethings women book club" or something, so I'm hoping that they all want to read chick lit. Hahaha. Maybe I'll suggest one if I get the guts to go!

message 31: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments And yes, it would be way awesome if we all lived closer so we could do a real-life book club. :) Although, I have no idea where anyone lives, so maybe one of you is in my area!

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments I am in 2 book clubs and one of them originally started on yahoo groups. You can always start your own book club so it could be run the way you want. Find a co-worker or relative or friend of your bf/husband. Usually you start with 2 people and somehow you get more members then you know what to do with.

message 33: by Stacy (new)

Bianca - it's always a possibility, there are quite a few people in this group. :)

Alicia - I never thought about Yahoo groups, even though I belong to a few. LOL

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) | 378 comments We should do our own book club with Skype. Does everyone have a laptop or tablet? We could all read the book and then pick a date that we can all be home for like 2 hours and Skype and talk see each other. Could be fun no? Stacy you and Tara could do it together and I could def talk a friend of mine into it and then it would sorta be party. If we all buddy up we would have someone to drink or eat with and then we could all just chill in our homes but be together. I don't know just an idea.

message 35: by Stacy (new)

That's definitely an idea, Dawn. :)

I'll have to think about it...maybe I can start it at the beginning of the year after I'm completely done with school.

message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) | 378 comments Yeah sounds good. I have a very busy Summer ahead of me.

message 37: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Yeah that sounds awesome!!! I'd so be down for that. Great idea, Dawn. :)

message 38: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Has anyone read Gone Girl? Sorry if this book has already been talked about and I missed it somewhere. That's the book my book club is reading, and I haven't heard good things. My coworker let me borrow it and she said it was just too long because it dragged out forever. Kind of hesitant to read it now, haha.

message 39: by Tara (new)

Tara I read it Bianca and thought it was really good!!

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) | 378 comments I felt it dragged a bit too. It's one of the ones I gave you. wink wink

message 41: by Tara (new)

Tara I haven't gotten it yet???

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) | 378 comments You will today.

message 43: by Stacy (new)

I started it but only got a few pages in. Had too many books going on at once and had to take it back to the library.

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments I loved Gone Girl! It's very dark and twisted. I don't feel it dragged at all - it was very suspenseful!

I have been wanting to join a book club for awhile! A coworker and I talked about starting one at work, but nothing happened with it. I like this group. :) I am also in a YA book club that's online, and that is fun. I still want to join one in person though. I've asked a few friends who are in them, but their groups I guess aren't looking for new members.

I'm in 2 Meetup groups. One is for copywriting, which I've never participated in. The other is a 20s & 30s fun group. I've gone to a few events and met some cool people.

message 45: by Tara (new)

Tara Suzanne wrote: "I loved Gone Girl! It's very dark and twisted. I don't feel it dragged at all - it was very suspenseful!

I have been wanting to join a book club for awhile! A coworker and I talked about starting..."

I agree Suzanne! I loved Gone Girl as well and didn't think it dragged at all.

I would love to join a local book club if I could find one here. I wish I lived in a bigger city so there were more options.

message 46: by Stacy (new)

Tara, I think you and I are going to have to start one. But I haven't an idea on when/where, etc. Plus, once school starts back up, I don't know that I'd have the time - which is why I'm hesitant to do a Skype one just yet too.

I need to get on Meetup and sign up for some groups. Right now, I'm just a lurker. LOL

It's just hard to make myself get on the computer at home since usually I'm only on it for school. I stay away from it any other time because it makes me think of school. :)

message 47: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Okay, good to know. Thanks, everyone! I'm really excited to start reading it. I'm trying to finish Shoe Addicts Anonymous, which is obviously a completely different type of book, but I keep putting off finishing it because I'm also rewatching a TV show I used to love. Haha. But yes I'll hopefully be able to start Gone Girl soon and then I will let you know my thoughts. :)

message 48: by Beth (new)

Beth Orsoff (BethOrsoff) | 133 comments I also loved Gone Girl. But definitely not a chick lit book. It's very dark. And I wasn't a fan for the first 20% or so--neither of the two main characters are particularly likeable. But the plot takes some really unexpected turns and then I was hooked. And by the end of the book, the character I hated at the start of the book became the one I liked, or at least felt sympathy for. It really is a compelling read.

message 49: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (bbollinger) | 761 comments Okay, great! Thanks for the review, Beth! I'm hoping to start it this weekend, and I'm really excited!

message 50: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Oh great - now I really want to read Gone Girl! How will I ever find the time to read everything out there :)

I've always wanted to join a book club (especially after watching The Book Group on Netflix) but there are none around me, and I don't want to be the leader. That's why I always love coming on here with you ladies :) You are my book club!

« previous 1