readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Books with angels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirstine (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 17 comments So, I've always been fascinated by angels. And ever since reading The Vintner's Luck and Good Omens I've been trying to find other good books with angels in them, preferably as somewhat prominent characters, but it's really difficult, so I thought I'd ask for your help.

I don't mind the genre much, although I'd like to stay clear of any young adult romance novels, unless, of course, you believe it's really really good.

I hope you've got some suggestions :)

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Even though it is YA, I think Daughter of Smoke and Bone is really great. The very end really makes the book to me, and you have to get past some uncomfortable, YA-ish stuff in the middle that is redeemed by the end.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments Check out Sharon Shinn's Samaria series (beginning with Archangel, I think). It's been a long while since I read these so I don't remember them too well, but they're not YA and although there may be some romance to them I don't think that's the primary focus. And there are angels.

message 4: by Kirstine (last edited Oct 30, 2011 01:05PM) (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 17 comments Sparrow: Oh, I actually have that book marked as "to read" already! I think it's very good as well. I never realised it had angels in it though. I'll be moving it to the top of my reading list right away. Thanks!

Christy: I've looked at those before. I seem to recall I thought they were YA (although I have no idea why) so I skipped them, but I'll be taking a better look now. Thank you :D

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Kirstine wrote: "Sparrow: Oh, I actually have that book marked as "to read" already! I think it's very good as well. I never realised it had angels in it though. I'll be moving it to the top of my reading list righ..."

Yeah, I think she describes the angels in a pretty badass way.

message 6: by Shanshad (new)

Shanshad Whelan | 15 comments Lisle mostly deals with fallen angels and demons in her book Sympathy for the Devil but I really enjoy this one. It's not quite as clever as Good Omens, but it has a similar tone.

If you like romance Nalini Singh has her

Angels' Blood, which is the first book dealing with her own world building that involves vampires and angels, but it is also very steamy on the romance angle.

Highbornis another fallen angel story. This is an urban fantasy of dramatic tone with a good deal of violence and some romantic tension. I found it a decent first book in the series and was surprised how much I actually liked it.

message 7: by Rhiannon (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:43AM) (new)

Rhiannon (hellomynameisbook) | 33 comments I read two books with angels in them this year:
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

One literary fic/one YA. Both were excellent books!

message 8: by Kirstine (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 17 comments I already have The Satanic Verses, and I can't wait to read it! But I never heard of the other one, it sounds really good and very original. I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you :)

message 10: by Kacee (new)

Kacee (kcjc) | 1 comments I recently finished reading Jon Steele's The Watchers and Angel City. A third book in his Angelus Trilogy will be coming out. I thoroughly enjoyed both books. There are angels with a new twist: they inhabit people's bodies who recently passed, not unlike the demons, who in this case are the "bad angels." Steele writes beautifully. The characters come alive and the action is suspenseful and realistic enough that I almost forgot I was reading fiction.

message 11: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (antoniafulica) | 7 comments Faith Hunter Rogue Mage series. Bloodring, Seraph and Host, very good and interesting reads. Really liked them and are a re-read every few months.

message 12: by 紫淇 (new)

紫淇 (construe) | 1 comments Maybe try Angelfall? While it's YA, I really enjoyed it, and there's some really strong characters and world building in the book.

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew MacDevette (mattmacd) | 1 comments Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials has, in my view, one of the most compelling treatments of angels / the 'war in Heaven' theme. The angels themselves don't feature all that prominently until relatively late in the trilogy, but his use of them is sophisticated/wonderful/thought-provoking. Love love love those books. If you're into epic poetry/going old school, try Paradise Lost - first 'sympathetic' treatment of Lucifer, I believe. Super interesting topic - DMs welcome for further (geeky) discussion!