Banned Books Club discussion

One Hundred Years of Solitude > Macondo - biblical land

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anda (new)

Anda | 34 comments Macondo is a mythical land. Marquez confessed in Living to Tell the Tale that he had used his home town of Aracataca, as a cultural, historical and geographical reference to create this imaginary town. But what makes Macondo more than a place?

message 2: by Serena (last edited Nov 04, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments (view spoiler)

message 3: by Anda (new)

Anda | 34 comments I am barely at page 70, but I vividly remember the part where Jose Arcadio is shot and his blood trails on every corner of Macondo . And I agree: it is the strongest image of what homeland means. On the other hand, the parallel with Bible is very clear. Macondo is an Eden garden, where Ursula and Jose Arcadio - the father can live in peace and freedom, like Adam and Eve and their descendants. At the very beginning, Macondo has no government, no church, no money and no words for things (the theme of achieving knowledge is also very strong and Jose Arcadio is outcast due his hungry of knowledge). Macondo is described as a new world, from its genesis until its final destruction. It is also a metaphor for Marquez’s homeland.
I remarked also the idea of sin, which is somehow redefined. It is not actually the sin, but more the thought of it. You are right: Ursula and Jose Arcadio are not sinners: either Rebeca and Jose Arcadio (the son) or Arcadio and Pilar Ternera.