Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Halloween Puzzler - Oct. 31

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (last edited Oct 30, 2011 08:48PM) (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
A tall, darkly dressed man moved into her vision. Stood before her, dark eyes piercing. “You can see me,” he repeated forcefully.

Her lips parted and her brain froze. Hero was standing there, caught in the circle of surrounding bodies; he had just spoken, and no one had noticed. She closed her eyes and inhaled a shaky breath, then took another.

A tingle brushed down her arm in a parody of his usual taunting touch, and a profound shiver followed in its wake. Not the usual maddening shiver he produced in her, but one equally unnerving.

She hesitated a second too long over the feeling. She had to pull her thoughts together.

If she ignored the situation, maybe she would wake to find it the day after Malcolm’s fete and nothing out of the ordinary. “Mr. Farnswourth, that would be superb.”

“Most excellent. I was just saying to Father the other day, Father don’t you think we should –“

Hero circled her. “Talk to me, Heroine,” the commanding, sensual voice said against her ear. “I know the look in a woman’s eye when she has noticed me, I know the look in your eye when you’ve seen me, and you possessed just such a gaze.”

She shivered again, but not from a touch this time. She sneaked a quick look to her right, and her eyes met shocked dark golden brown.

“You can see me. And you can hear me.” His voice darkened and intensified. Repeated tingles ran through her as he tried to connect his hand to her body. “What madness is this? What have you wrought against me? Why can’t I touch you? Why can’t I touch anyone?”

Unable to stand the stirrings of panic in his voice, she glanced away, her eyes moving toward the couple copulating in the corner. Her color automatically rose.

“I did nothing,” she blurted, flustered. “And it’s not possible. The laws prohibit it.”

“That is exactly what I said!” She jolted to see Mr. Farnswourth nodding eagerly at her response. Sheer dumb luck had her answer to Hero in agreement with whatever Mr. Farnswourth had said.

Luckily her mother was chatting with another lady in their carved-out space and was not paying attention. If she had been, her mother would know her infirmity was back. Not that it had ever disappeared, no matter what Abigail had pleaded and assured them of. Her mother would know. She’d call Dr. Myers to sort her out again.

Everything in Heroine shuddered, she tried to block Hero from her view.

“It isn’t against the law to touch someone,” he said. "And no one else can see me. I’m invisible. Why can you see me?

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
Oh I know this one! Can't remember thE name but I think of it as the authors first book to go outside of traditional stories ....

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Wow! I want to download it RIGHT NOW!!! Good one, Kasey!

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1883 comments Mod
I have an idea...

message 5: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2038 comments Mod
Good one, Kasey! I looved this one :)

message 6: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Dls, yes it is her first book that isn't a straight up historical. I didn't know it was going to be a paranormal when I ordered it, but I loved it!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments I loooved this book! Good choice of an excerpt.

message 8: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
A risky, different kind of historical--the buzz on this one started my reading of this author. A great Halloween choice, Kasey!

message 9: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
It started my reading of her too. I did look at some of her back list but it wasn't as appealing--I feel like this started a whole new and much more interesting approach by her....

message 10: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
As many of you have already guessed, the answer is:

For the Earl's Pleasure by Anne Mallory

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Muuaaahahahahahahaha!!! I couldn't wait so I "googled" it, and found it!! I read it Sunday night and Monday afternoon! Lol!!!! I very much enjoyed it! THANKS, KASEY!!

message 12: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Monica, I am glad you liked it!

Aly is so frigging bored | 849 comments Mod
Anne Mallory is one of my new HR loves :D I wanna start the 3rd in The Secret series Tuesday.

Lovely choice :)