Indie Book Club discussion

Self Promotion > An ancient alien evil awakens...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kodai (last edited May 21, 2012 09:05AM) (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments ...admist a solar system in turmoil.
The mistakes and conflicts of the early twenty-first century peak in a clash of ideology and mechanized steel that spans across the planets of the inner sphere of Sol.
A contention of worlds ensues as the Earth Federal Republic and Solar Empire battle for solar supremacy.
On one side, caught within the currents of war, is a band of young spacemarines, the Sledgehammers, who quickly find themselves embroiled in a plot that transcends the politics of the struggle around them. A dark and ancient secret looms throughout Sol in a myriad of alien artifacts that are the intense focus of one man's mad ambition.
On the other side, a revolutionary puts his own plan into motion as the would-be liberator of his people. Taking advantage of the conflagration, Alphonse Zhukov and his conspirators risk everything to free their proletarian brethren from the iron grip of the Solar Empire.
Both sides quickly find themselves immersed in a storm of lies, betrayal, love, and romance as plans within plans and schemes within schemes forge their individual goals into a common cause.
At the eye of the tempest is an alien warship that holds the key to finding the Goddess Device and unraveling that surrounds it. The Stygian Conspiracy

The Stygian Conspiracy (Nexus Arcana) by Kodai Okuda

Available from the following fine retailers:

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Stygian-Conspir...

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Hi Kodai!

I went to Amazon and Tagged & Liked your book for you. Both paperback and kindle versions!

message 3: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Thank you very much Jeffrey.

BTW, the book is now on sale for $.99 cents until Tuesday, Nov 1st, 2011.

Amazon is being slow about the price change due to issues they're having at the moment.
However, the price at smashwords is now $.99 cents.

message 4: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Kodai - you're welcome. And thanks for letting us know about the price of our book. I'll have to go download a sample to take a look.

How would you classify your book? Fantasy? Thriller? Sci-fi? How many words is it?

message 5: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Science Fiction.
It's 361,119 words long (723 pages).

message 6: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Wow! Over 360,000 words! That's nearly three times the size of my first book. Good job!

message 7: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Thank you Jeffrey. :)

I'm working on the second volume now, which I plan on trying to limit to only 250,000 words or less to give my editor--and my budget--a break.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert (valdieron) | 108 comments 'Like'wise have I 'liked' it :)
All the best with sales and Book 2! I can almost vouch that 250,000 is a heck of a lot of words :)
I'll also check out the sample.

message 9: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Thank you Robert. :)

message 10: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I'll admit to being interested in the book, but I'm not sure what kind of time table I could get the review done in. If you aren't in a hurry let me know and we can figure something out.

message 11: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Hi Scott,

I'm in no hurry as I've got a full TBR right now as well. :)
If you're interested in doing a review just email me at kodaiokuda@yahoo.com and I'll give you a free copy from Smashwords.

Thank you for your interest.

message 12: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments What reviewers are saying:

"Okuda does a good job of connecting his story's many layers as they develop across the solar system--tying together the backroom political scheming on both sides of the war with intricate military strategy--leaving readers with a tale that has all the ingredients for a great sci-fi epic..."-Kirkus Review, June 29th 2011

The Stygian Conspiracy is a science fiction adventure that takes place over many years. The result is a grand story of epic proportions.
The most striking feature of the book is the quality of the characters and their development throughout the story. Far from being standard, cookie-cutter characters, they are complex and very likable. The "good" guys have their flaws, and the "bad" guys are not purely evil and not necessarily easy to hate. I especially enjoyed the comradery between the characters, the children shouldered with great responsibility, and that there is very little (if any) whining in the dialogue of the book.
-Kate R. (Amazon.com)

The Stygian Conspiracy is one of those books you'll want to read more than once. Just check the free sample to get an idea of the kind of detail the author has put into the story. The development of the factions, the ships and the tech will appeal to fans of Babylon 5 and Star Trek. A well written story and one that shows a good level of editing and proofing. Recommended read.
-Michael Thomas author of Siege of Titan (Amazon.com)

The Stygian Conspiracy is a truly engrossing epic. The political intrigue is fascinating. The mechanics of combat and space are exceptionally detailed and well thought out. This is a well written novel that will keep you turning the pages. I would have perhaps like it divided into two or even three novels as it is a long piece. On the other hand, you get a hell of a lot of material in one purchase. I'd definitely recommend this novel!-Nick Thomas author of Starforce Ganymede (Amazon.com)

The Stygian Conspiracy is a pleasant deviation from the what I consider the norm of science fiction, since this book is filled with political intrigue and military deceptions that surround the conspiracy that is the driving force of the book's plot.
I like the flow, the story, and the whole setting of this novel, but I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed all the tactical details, firm description of weapons, ordinance, and realistic escalation of arms development of this author's vision of future warfare.
The warship maneuvers, battle robot capabilities, and overall combat scenarios seem plausible, and were clearly given a level of thought that I rarely see outside of military fiction.
The author knows how to write exciting battle scenes and believable characters.
The political scheming is this novel's strong point, and the ending completes the story satisfactorily while keeping it sufficiently open for more.
-Mark Powell (Amazon.com)

This should be a television series! An exciting and involved story. I very badly want to see the battlerobots. Sequel...?-Tasha (Goodreads)

Can't say I've read a science fiction novel like this one in a very long time.
Aside from a few minor points, the Stygian Conspiracy is a page turner.
This book cost me many hours of sleep at night as I devoured its pages.
The begining of the novel is somewhat tedious, but in my opinion very necessary to set the stage for the plot.
The characters that populate the world of The Stygian Conspiracy are both lovable and quite memorable.
I don't want to spoil the story, so I'll make this short.
Basically, this story is about how ill prepared we humans are as both a society and a race for whatever kinds of alien civilizations may lie out in the cosmos. It explores the myriad of social, economic, political, and evolutionary issues that threaten humankind not from an alien source, though aliens do play an indirect role in this tale, but from within.
I hope others enjoy this story as much as I did.
-Old_Military_Man (Barns & Noble)

message 13: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments New review of The Stygian Conspiracy.
This time by Prometheus Unbound:

http://prometheusreview.com/2012/01/0...

message 14: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Update,

The Stygian Conspiracy is no longer available for sale at Smashwords.
After a year of mediocre sales with Smashwords, Yesod Pub. llc pulled it from their site.
The book is still available at Amazon.com and is now free to Prime members as it is now enrolled in the KDP Select program.

The Hardcover is still available both directly from Yesod Pub llc, and through Amazon.com.

https://www.nexusarcana.com/stygianco...

message 15: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments I was recently interviewed on Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews.

Here is the link:
http://lauries-interviews.blogspot.co...

message 16: by Kodai (new)

Kodai Okuda | 18 comments Finally,

Yesod Publications has released the 2nd Edition of The Stygian Conspiracy.

Check it out here.

http://www.amazon.com/Stygian-Conspir...