Around the World discussion

closed topics > Doctor Zhivago Group Read: 4th week of Jan (1/22-1/28)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) I'd like to join the reading of Dr. Zhivago even though the title is unlisted right now.

message 2: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin I'm reading A Fine Balance in July, I suppose, but I always read more than one book at a time, so I really don't mind.

Russia to Germany should be about two weeks, through Kaliningrad area, which shares a border with Poland which, in turn, shares a border with Germany. Or even one week, if you go by sea ;)

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I'm totally in for Dr. Z. October is fine, or what about February??

message 4: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Jan 03, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Barry, thanks for folding. D)

Let me know which route you plan to take and when you plan to get to Russia. I'll check the calendar to make sure that we aren't overlapping with any other group reads.

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) Kristen wrote: "I'm totally in for Dr. Z. October is fine, or what about February??"

Kristen, folder "Calendar for Group Reads?" Jenny's message 26 has a pretty much up-to-date yearly schedule.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Asmah wrote: "Kristen wrote: "I'm totally in for Dr. Z. October is fine, or what about February??"

Kristen, folder "Calendar for Group Reads?" Jenny's message 26 has a pretty much up-to-date yearly schedule."

Asmah, got it, thanks!

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Great. Thank you Barry D)). Hope that works for everyone.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Perfect! And duly noted on my personal list. :D

message 9: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin I get a Doctor Zhivago group read for my birthday. *amused*

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Oh good. How fitting that we're starting our Russian group read on your birth day.

message 11: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin Ending. My birthday is January the 31st.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Okay, well that still works.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
I changed the date in the calendar. I also figured out I could list something daily on repeat until a group read was over, so when we have books that are less nebulous like this, I can do that kind of thing.

I like to read Dr. Zhivago and Anna Karenina in the heat of summer. You guys are crazy to read it in the winter. Brrrrr!

message 14: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin Hey, I'm Siberian. All those middle-pale (as Russians call the Moscow and Europe side areas) are mild as far as we're concerned.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Genia wrote: "Hey, I'm Siberian. All those middle-pale (as Russians call the Moscow and Europe side areas) are mild as far as we're concerned."
Brr... you win.... brr....

message 16: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 182 comments I think I'll join this read since there's that new translation (Doctor Zhivago) I'd like to try. This is one of my favorite books ever and I think this'd be my third time reading it.

message 17: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 182 comments The only thing is I can't count it in the challenge because I've already read it. Still... Maybe the new translation counts. Nah, but it's still worth a reread.

message 18: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 18 comments Ok, my sisters and I are in for January and we are adjusting our itinerary to fit it in.

message 19: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 18 comments Picked up my copy from the library and ready to go.

message 20: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin I'll actually be finished this weekend - I started at the beginning of the month - and be all ready for discussion.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Barry, I finished the book about 2 weeks ago. I have to say that I didn't notice anything about eyes or the other senses. Glad you noticed and that you're enjoying the book so much.

message 22: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin I've finished the books two days ast. To be honest, I was not enthralled by it, I think because Yuri had no personality, Lara had very little and the first half of the book had no scene to its name, much. It picked up once WWI and the revolution kicked in, but I got tired of the extremely metaphysical philosophical digressions.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I had the same the same experience as you, Genia.

message 24: by Louise (new)

Louise | 120 comments I love the movie, am contemplating whether to get the book or not. :-)

message 25: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) I have the book; saw the movie ages ago. Considering whether to read it (for Russia) or The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou (for USA). Probably can do both in sequence, right?

message 26: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Jan 23, 2012 08:40AM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) The book was, for me, a slog of a read. The movie is very different. It takes the love story from the book and blows it up, Hollywood style, leaving out a lot of the minor characters, side plots and digressions.

I discovered that MI6 and the CIA, together, submitted the book to the Nobel Committee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Z...

message 27: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Still waiting to get my hands on a copy, but I love the movie and the recent stage show. Costume and props were fabulous.

message 28: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 18 comments Day 3 and only 40 pages in... I need to pick up the pace!

message 29: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 18 comments Took me a while to understand the patronymic name system used. Now (90 pages in) I've got a grip on the characters.

message 30: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments Just got the book, I'm running late!!

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Thank, Barry. I didn't want to let on how disappointed I was in the book when you had only read 100 pages. I guess others are still reading. It will be interesting to hear from them.

message 32: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin I had a chat about Pasternak with my parents and grandparents yesterday at my birthday dinner. I mentioned to them that I've read it, and that I found it to be, how shall I say? Not bad, of course, but also not great.

Generally, their reaction was pretty much concurrent with the trend here - except neither they, nor I, watched the films. My grandmother said that Pasternak's big achievement, of course, is his poems, which are wonderful to listen to, but his prose... Not so much. She also noted that the language of the book is somehow archaic, stilted and awkward, and she thinks Pasternak knew that his prose is much too self-conscious when he wrote it.

We also agreed that Yuri hasn't much of a personality, and that the philosophical digressions the book is filled with are awkward. My grandmother summed it up saying "Well, it's not terribly engaging. It's not like The Master and Margarita, which is like a bolt of lightning."

I pretty much agree.

message 33: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 18 comments I've made it to page 135... I'm behind but I will finish.

message 34: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments OK, I'm quitting even before I started. Thanks Anne. I can't deal with a not-so-good book right now when I have amazing ones lining my shelf.

message 35: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Jan 29, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Genia wrote: "I had a chat about Pasternak with my parents and grandparents yesterday at my birthday dinner. I mentioned to them that I've read it, and that I found it to be, how shall I say? Not bad, of course,..."

I agree with everything said at your birthday dinner, except the part about TM&M which I haven't read yet. Also, I haven't read anything else by Pasternak. Interesting that he won the Noble Prize for this book. Clearly political.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Pragya wrote: "OK, I'm quitting even before I started. Thanks Anne. I can't deal with a not-so-good book right now when I have amazing ones lining my shelf."

Pragya, I don't blame you. I think you are wise to skip it.

message 37: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments I am glad then, Anne and Barry. :D

message 38: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin Anne wrote: "I agree with everything said at your birthday dinner, except the part about TM&M which I haven't read yet. Also, I haven't read anything else by Pasternak. Interesting that he won the Noble Prize for this book. Clearly political. "

Gasp! Read it!

message 39: by Julia (new)

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't find the book that engaging - it's actually really dragging and I've been seriously considering to just put it down for good....
I can't really relate to the characters - they keep being rather stiff and without much personality and the language is stilted and boring. I think it could be a bad translation I'm reading, there's an awful lack of editing, no explanations and some really weird ways of putting words together - might be easier and more engaging in Russian.
Still, I hate not finishing books, especially classics like this. Hmmm, I'll sleep over it.