Nobel Prize Winners discussion

The Reading Room > The Reading Room: An introduction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This folder has been prompted by 'Cl." and created in order for members to discuss the extended 'oeuvre' of the current Nobel Literature Laureate. The idea is that in this area we post biographical snippets, links to relevant articles, reviews of various works as well as members' comments and thoughts. Next October we will begin the discussion of the 2012 Laureate.

So starting with our current Laureate, Tomas Tranströmer, we invite you to contribute anything you like that you think may be of interest to members so that we can build an extensive body of comment and, I hope, quirky knowledge about Tomas Tranströmer and his work.

message 2: by Cl. (new)

Cl. | 43 comments Thank you for starting this thread about the current laureate. I'll order in some of his books so I am able to contribute.

One of the things that stood out to me when I read his bio in Wikipedia, is that one of his poems was read at the funeral of a member of Swedish parliament who was assasinated in 2003. I was surprised to read of such violence in a country I consider to be so reasonable. I would be interested to know which poem was read.

message 3: by Haaze (last edited Nov 24, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

Haaze | 67 comments @ Cl. Unfortunately, violence trickles into even the most peaceful societies. The last two decades have brought up an array of internal conflicts linked to immigration as well as social services. Sweden woke up in 1986 when its prime minister Olof Palme was assassinated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olof_Pal...
He had just left a movie theater and, as was common, did not use any security guards. Pretty amazing that VIPs felt so safe within the society, don't you think? Things changed from that point on. One can argue that his demise was linked to his active and powerful involvement in international politics. His opinions were not always appreciated. However, his killers were never properly identified and the crime remains unresolved!

message 4: by Haaze (last edited Nov 24, 2011 08:48PM) (new)

Haaze | 67 comments @David and Cl

Great idea to have a reading room. I presume that this specific thread is just a general area, where we simply discuss aspects of the thread (i.e. the reading room). I like this organization!!

message 5: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) After Transtromer won the Nobel, I immediately looked for information regarding his life. I was skeptical at first because he is Swedish. However, his partial paralysis brought tears to my eyes, and the tears continued to well up while reading his poem below.

Allegro

I play Haydn after a black day
and feel a simple warmth in my hands.

The keys are willing. Soft hammers strike.
The resonance green, lively and calm.

The music says freedom exists
and someone doesn't pay the emperor tax.

I push down my hands in my Haydnpockets
and imitate a person looking on the world calmly.

I hoist the Haydnflag - it signifies:
"We don't give in. But want peace.'

The music is a glass-house on the slope
where the stones fly, the stones roll.

And the stones roll right through
but each pane stays whole.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Angus wrote: "After Transtromer won the Nobel, I immediately looked for information regarding his life. I was skeptical at first because he is Swedish. However, his partial paralysis brought tears to my eyes, an..."

Well, here's one that will cheer you up>

C Major

When he came down to the street after the rendezvous
the air was swirling with snow.
Winter had come
while they lay together.
The night shone white.
He walked quickly with joy.
The whole town was downhill.
The smiles passing by -
everyone was smiling behind turned-up collars.
It was free!
And all the question-marks began singing of God's being.
So he thought.

A music broke out
and walked in the swirling snow
with long steps.
Everything on the way towards the note C.
A trembling compass directed at C.
One hour higher than the torments.
It was easy!
Behind turned-up collars everyone was smiling.

message 7: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) Thanks David! It's a nice poem, but really, I prefer sad poems.