Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: "Gigi’s Favorite RoM" > Favorite Reads - October 2011

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2011 08:27AM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Hi!! Its that time again! So, what was your favorite October read? Don't hesitate to name your worst read as well.

I've only read one book this month : (. I've read First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones by Darynda Jones and I enjoyed it. It was very creative.

What about you?

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) Without a doubt my favorite was The Deed (Deed, #1) by Lynsay Sands . It had everything humor, romance, adventure, and a HEA ending.

I don't really have a worst read except that I haven't been able to finish Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs . It jusy isn't what I expected.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments The In Death Series continues to dominate. Loved Holiday in Death (In Death, #7) by J.D. Robb and I'm in the middle of Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb now, and I'm loving it. Might be my favorite so far.

Really enjoyed Canyons of Night (The Arcane Society,#12, Looking Glass Trilogy,#3, Harmony, #8) by Jayne Castle too. It got me back into the The Arcane Society series, which I've loved for a long time now. =)

message 4: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I read the last 2 Hathaway books this month Married By Morning and Love in the Afternoon and adored both of them. I also really liked Knight of Darkness

Least favorite this month was definitely Upon a Wicked Time

message 5: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Heather, I haven't read either of those series. They're on my tbr list LOL I've heard lots of good things about them

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 56 comments I had a few favorite Oct reads, all 5 stars for me...

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I didn't have a great month (what with that cold and all), so most of my 5★ reads were in my re-reading (geez, comfort reading anyone?).

5★:
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb Christmas Eve in Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas Sugar Daddy (Travises #1) by Lisa Kleypas

4★:

Nice cozy mystery: Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) by Carolyn Hart

What I expected from this author: The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

A nice novella surprise: A Skeleton at Her Door (Halloween/Fall Romance) by E. Ayers

Almost not rated this high d/t cliffhanger ending: Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger

Best 3½★ this year: Nightfall by Ellen Connor - total hoot for a apocalyptic sci-fi romance.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I have several First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Taunting Krell (Cyborg Seduction, #7) by Laurann Dohner and Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen .

"Ignore the cover - the book is fantastic" awards go to Weremones by Buffi BeCraft-Woodall and Hold by Zannie Adams .

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, Carolyn, I worked First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones into a challenge though it was a "to-ponder" for a while. GTK you liked it.

I think you may have come up with another category: "Ignore the Cover: Book is Fantastic" - I like it!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Christine S. wrote: "I had a few favorite Oct reads, all 5 stars for me...

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel"

So glad you like Dragon Bound and The Winter Sea. Both of those were 5 stars for me too! Haven't read A Bed of Spices yet.

message 11: by Heather (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Heather, I haven't read either of those series. They're on my tbr list LOL I've heard lots of good things about them"

I've been reading that Arcane Society series for-ev-er! One author, 3 pen names, each pen name writes in a different time era. Craziness, but I love it anyway!!! I love paranormal books that deal more with mental/psychic abilities rather than vamp/were (though I do enjoy them) and the Arcane Society is all about various psychic talents.

And you must, I mean MUST read the In Death series. It's addicting!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Lots of love for First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones ! Going to try and work that into my reading list by the end of the year.

message 13: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments From the way you're talking, Heather, the Arcane Society books MUST be read in order? How about the In Death series? I'll have to check them out soon :)

message 14: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I had a few duds in October (either that or I was feeling particularly harsh towards mediocre books). No 5 stars this month, but these were 3 books I gave 4 stars to and so my faves this month:
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb Kill and Tell (John Medina, #1) by Linda Howard and Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger .
Incidentally, Heather, you recommended all three to me, so I'll be stalking your "read" shelf for a little while ;-)

message 15: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Christine S., I have 2 of those three in my TBR for this month :-) Looking forward to them!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "From the way you're talking, Heather, the Arcane Society books MUST be read in order? How about the In Death series? I'll have to check them out soon :)"

In death for sure need to be read in order, but as for the Arcane, not so much.
In Death is following one prime couple, so to fully enjoy their path, start at the beginning.
I read all pen name Jayne Ann Krentz modern day books 1st and now I'm reading Jayne Castle's futuristic setting books next (though not in order of release). I'm not a huge fan of historical's, which is what pen name Amanda Quick writes, but I will get to those next. The Arcane is all about individual couples in this world of Arcane, so I didn't feel the need to read in order.

message 17: by Heather (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:40PM) (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments CaroB wrote: "I had a few duds in October (either that or I was feeling particularly harsh towards mediocre books). No 5 stars this month, but these were 3 books I gave 4 stars to and so my faves this month:
[bo..."

LOL, stalk away.
I hope you liked [book:Naked in Death|268602] enough to move on with the series. I just finished #8, Conspiracy in Death and it was my favorite of the series (wept during part of it), so far.

message 18: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments definitely will be continuing with the series, just need to get them to fit into more challenges!

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments CaroB wrote: "definitely will be continuing with the series, just need to get them to fit into more challenges!"

YAY! How about I create a challenge that requires you to read the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in a book series? lol

message 20: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments LOL, that'd be great!

message 21: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments thanks for the info on those serieses (is that how that's spelled?). I'll definitely look into them. Thanks for the rec.

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 56 comments Heather wrote: "
Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel"

So glad you like Dragon Bound and The Winter Sea. Both of those were 5 stars for me too! Haven't read A Bed of Spices yet. "

Loved Bed of Spices... Barbara Samuel is my latest favorite author! I've read 3 of her book so far & they were really good reads!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 56 comments Heather wrote: "Lots of love for First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones! Going to try and work that into my reading list by the end of the year."

I've been wanting to read this one too, hoping to get to it soon!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 56 comments CaroB wrote: "Christine S., I have 2 of those three in my TBR for this month :-) Looking forward to them!"

Hope you enjoy them Carol!

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Christine S. wrote: "Heather wrote: "Lots of love for First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones! Going to try and work that into my reading list by the end of the year."

I've been wanting to read this one too, hop..."

Maybe I can set this up as a Buddy Read for December?

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Heather wrote: "Lots of love for First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones! Going to try and work that into my reading list by the end of the year."

I have a copy of First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones . I want to move that one up on my TBR too.

message 27: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe I can set this up as a Buddy Read for December?..."

Great idea!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 56 comments Heather wrote: "Maybe I can set this up as a Buddy Read for December? "

Sounds good to me too!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Me too!

message 30: by Heather (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I'll jot it down and set it up. Mid-December work for all?

message 31: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments 12th start date would be good :-)

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments December's good, just not November. LOL!

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments LOL, Lisa Kay, I know. My November is booked anyway. =)

12th sounds good to me, CaroB.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Heather wrote: "LOL, Lisa Kay, I know. My November is booked anyway. =)

12th sounds good to me, CaroB."

Me too!

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments We need a GoodReads Calendar! They are talking about it as a "future" - but I want it NOW! (Whoa. Too much Halloween candy.)

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "We need a GoodReads Calendar! They are talking about it as a "future" - but I want it NOW! (Whoa. Too much Halloween candy.)"

Wouldn't that be a handy feature? lol

message 37: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "We need a GoodReads Calendar! They are talking about it as a "future" - but I want it NOW! (Whoa. Too much Halloween candy.)"

That would be a great feature for the group.

message 38: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I set up the Buddy Read for First Grave on the Right.
We'll post this again in our December Newsletter, but wanted to let you all know now that its out their waiting for us. =)

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The thread has been archived.