readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Um..friendship?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 6 comments ok, so I am in need of a YA books right now..this is my first post, so i dont really know how to actually ask for a recommendation here. Actually, i did try to read the 'How To Post A Query' that Karen made, but it is quite long that i stopped mid-way..sorry, Karen!!

BTW,back to business. As the title suggests, i would like a book about friendship between boys. I've seen a lot of books bout friendship between girls that i wonder is there any book focusing on relationship between boys. um, by relationship,i dont mean like gay or whatsoever(i have nothing against gay, etc).just a normal friendship. and, i want the book to be fast-paced, light-toned, very hale and hearty type of books. and there must be a conflict or conflicts that will break their friendship apart, but not for too long. the conflict must not involved any love triangle or girls.to be frank, i dont really like when girl or girls been made the main conflict-cause..not being feminism, just it sounds cliche. i dont mind if there is/are romance in the book, just keep it simple.

i want something new, fresh and can make me hooked! um, what else could i add? oh, yeah, it must have a good ending. by good ending, i dont mean everyone is happy. should there be a death, the death must happen for a good reason. A reason so good that if the death doesnt happen, the book cant give a great impact on me. lastly, i want to be able to laugh, smile, cry, feel frustrated throughout the book.

um, you know, English is not my first language, so I find it hard to express what i need clearly.

well, can you understand what i had just wrote? please ask if you dont really get my point!

good day!=)

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments Try An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. It's about a road trip taken by two teenage boys after one of them has been dumped. There may be some tension between them about girls, but not in a love triangle kind of way.

message 3: by Nikkie (new)

Nikkie | 19 comments This might relate but maybe not...

Surrender

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments hmmm it's hard to find books that are only about boys just because so much of the reading population is girls. I can't think of one off the top of my head that is 2 boys but I will keep thinking.

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments wait what about the hardy boys (The Missing Chums)?

message 6: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (bradley_sands) | 10 comments Daniel Pinkwater's Alan Mendelsohn, Boy From Mars is really great. Although it's not exactly a "normal" friendship are a "normal" book. The book by itself is out-of-print, but it's collected in 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars; Slaves of Spiegel; The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death;The Last Guru; Young Adult Novel. The collection also included one other book about the friendship between two boys: The Snarkout Boys...(although they end up making friends with a girl--but no love triangle is involved).

Oh, I just noticed this: "and there must be a conflict or conflicts that will break their friendship apart, but not for too long."

Neither book has a conflict like that, but I'm just going to post my comment since I already wrote it and Pinkwater is one of my favorite authors.

message 7: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 6 comments Jasmine wrote: "hmmm it's hard to find books that are only about boys just because so much of the reading population is girls. I can't think of one off the top of my head that is 2 boys but I will keep thinking."

true!

Elizabeth wrote: "Nicole wrote: "A Separate Peace"

I wouldn't say it's light-toned, exactly, but I second this recommendation. It's a classic for this subject. One of the best.

Also, what about Harry P..."

eh, HP? sorry, but I cant stand HP!I tried, but I just cant!

Christy wrote: "Try An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. It's about a road trip taken by two teenage boys after one of them has been dumped. There may be some tension between th..."

I like the cover, so I will look up for this book for sure!thanks!

message 8: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 6 comments Jasmine wrote: "wait what about the hardy boys (The Missing Chums)?"

actually, I've never read Hardy Boys series..is it about..hmm, i dont know.LOL!so, what is the series about?generally?

Bradley wrote: "Daniel Pinkwater's Alan Mendelsohn, Boy From Mars is really great. Although it's not exactly a "normal" friendship are a "normal" book. The book by itself is out-of-print, but it's collected in [bo..."

this book sounds good.surely, i'll have a hard time to find this book as bookstores around my area rarely sell books such as this..hmm...

message 9: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (bradley_sands) | 10 comments You can pretty much special order it from all bookstores if they don't have it or buy it through Amazon.

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments it's nancy drew for boys about 2 boy detectives. yeah that's all I know maybe one of the boys here actually read it.

I know the hardy boys are brothers.

message 11: by Lolliepop (last edited Nov 03, 2011 09:12AM) (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 6 comments @Bradley,

yeah, i know. just that it takes weeks for the book to arrive..

message 12: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (bradley_sands) | 10 comments Not Amazon.

message 13: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 6 comments Thomas wrote: "The Misfits is a really wonderful story about a friendship between several boys and one girl. Their friendship doesn't break up at any point but it's really good and fits your other q..."

sounds good!thanks!

message 14: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 6 comments hmm, is there any book, still based on my request, that is tear-jerker?

message 15: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
this might not satisfy all of your specifics, but it is a "boy" book, about a group of boys, and the conflicts are certainly not over a girl, they are far more serious. i loved the ending, and for some people, there might be tearjerking scenes, but it takes a lot for me to cry. but it is definitely emotionally gripping, and the characters are very well-drawn.Whale Talk