Basically Books! discussion

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Former Group Reads > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (November's Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Goodreads description:

Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

This improbable story of Christopher's quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighborhood dog makes for one of the most captivating, unusual, and widely heralded novels in recent years.

Let us know what you think!

If you wish to discuss spoilers please use the spoiler bracket (view spoiler)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) I'm leading this discussion :D

Harmonie (moondawn) | 7 comments I can't wait. I'm picking the book up from the library today and plan to read the first couple chapters. I'll let you know what I think so far later tonight :)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Harmonie wrote: "I can't wait. I'm picking the book up from the library today and plan to read the first couple chapters. I'll let you know what I think so far later tonight :)"

wonderful! I read this book a couple of weeks ago, and I can't wait to hear your opinion :D

message 5: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
It's sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me. Then again, it has been sitting there waiting for me for at least six years now.

*hides*

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Rea wrote: "It's sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me. Then again, it has been sitting there waiting for me for at least six years now.

*hides*"

LOL XD

Harmonie (moondawn) | 7 comments Okay, so far I have the first hundred chapters of the book. Don't be alarmed! This book is only about 250 pages long, but every chapter is done by prime numbers rather than sequential numbers. That's one of the great details of this book. Choosing Christopher as the narrator of this book is really what has drawn me in so far. Speaking from the perspective of an autistic savant has given the novel a really interesting perspective. The author, Mark Haddon, has a history of children's fiction and working with autistic individuals, which makes the style of this novel so well done. What does everyone else think?

Jeshu (jeshusauria) I likedthe detail of the prime numbers! THey make you feel like you're reading very fast! I must confess, at first I didn't get the ide of the prime numbers and I kept searching for chapter one.

Harmonie (moondawn) | 7 comments Lol! me too! I actually turned a couple pages back to make sure I hadn't missed something. I managed to catch once he started describing prime numbers. And the diagrams helped too.

The addition of diagrams, pictures and flow charts are an interesting visual addition to the book.

Jaime (schnappy) | 10 comments I listened to this book on audio last month and had no idea that it had pictures and diagrams in it. I went out and got a physical copy of it so I could go back and look. One of the best books I've read in 2011.

Jeshu (jeshusauria) The diagrams made me feel that the book was going faster than it was, maybe because my attention was more focused :D

For me it's also one of the best books I've read this year!

Cynjit | 33 comments So far, I really like it. I love the perspective...And the unique characters...

Cynjit | 33 comments I'm about half way through...and honestly...although he is trying to do the right thing most of the time...The father is really frustrating me!

Martin (Martins_Library) | 28 comments When back in school my English class had to go down a to the school library once a month and choose a book to rent out and read.
That happens to be where I first stumbled across this book and I am constantly glad I did as it was such an enjoyable read. This is probably the book that got me so interested in unique narrators!

Glad to have a reason to re-read it :D

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Cynjit wrote: "I'm about half way through...and honestly...although he is trying to do the right thing most of the time...The father is really frustrating me!"

Same here. I felt so frustrated by him, and by her mother as well. But I don't want to judge them, because I don't know how I'd react if I had a child with autism.

message 16: by Char (new) - rated it 2 stars

Char (CharmaineElaine) I managed to find this for £1.50 so I'll start it once I've finished the book that I'm reading. :)

Martin (Martins_Library) | 28 comments Char wrote: "I managed to find this for £1.50 so I'll start it once I've finished the book that I'm reading. :)"

I have you beat there. 60p from myton hospice :P

I have somehow managed to get my younger brother, my dad and my mum all reading this book now.

Harmonie (moondawn) | 7 comments Hmm...I've finished the book and I have to got to say I have mixed feelings about it. The POV and style of this book is interesting, unique and drew me in. It was good the book was short because after a while I would have grown tired of it. I liked the latter half much better because of the opposition of his rational logic to the increasing dark turmoil happening around him. But I felt the same thing, the POV, that drew me in initially wore on me after a while. The book is still well done but I felt that style also limited the book from going any further. Because Christopher can't emotionally grow and change, like most protaganists, it felt somewhat strange. Now, I understand this is the effect of the novel but I felt it both lifted and limited the book's potential.

message 19: by Char (new) - rated it 2 stars

Char (CharmaineElaine) Martin wrote: "Char wrote: "I managed to find this for £1.50 so I'll start it once I've finished the book that I'm reading. :)"

I have you beat there. 60p from myton hospice :P

I have somehow managed to get my..."

Bargain! Well mine was from Scope and they aren't the cheapest charity shop out there. :P

Laura Parry I am about 70% of the way through now and so far I have found it to be fantastic. I grew up with (an albeit mildly) autistic brother, and so I can confirm that the frustration and feelings of Christopher's family are very real. For this reason this novel has at times been difficult for me to read. It really is spectacularly written and I agree that the diagrams and mathematical equations give the novel that extra something. Looking forward to reading more of it over the weekend.

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Very cheap!!! I wish I could find books at that price here XD

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Laura wrote: "I am about 70% of the way through now and so far I have found it to be fantastic. I grew up with (an albeit mildly) autistic brother, and so I can confirm that the frustration and feelings of Chri..."

That surely must have been hard :(

Cynjit | 33 comments Finished! So, I really loved the beginning. Overtime, the story began to drag a bit. I understand the Dad's frustration...but I was aggravated about his other "behaviors". Mom too. I loved the drawings and of course the perspective. I kind of agree about the protagonist not growing much...I guess that makes it unique though. The "Underground" scene stressed me out!:)

message 24: by Char (new) - rated it 2 stars

Char (CharmaineElaine) I've just finished this and I didn't like it... please don't throw things at me. I found it difficult to get into and the maths and the science baffled me and the prime numbers as chapters kind of freaked me out a little. I think I like chapter numbers in order.

I was also extremely offended with the use of the C-word. I find it unacceptable in an adult book but this is apparently YA. (I'm not a prude, I swear all the time, I just don't like that word.)

MaraC | 59 comments Char wrote: "I've just finished this and I didn't like it... please don't throw things at me. I found it difficult to get into and the maths and the science baffled me and the prime numbers as chapters kind of ..."

I agree with you, Char. I really didn't care for the book overall. I like the premise but I got lost among the extra, off topic chapters and found myself skimming over them. When I finished it last night I actually thought, "Thank goodness I finally finished it!". That's not the feeling I like to have at the end of a book. :/

message 26: by Char (new) - rated it 2 stars

Char (CharmaineElaine) MaraC wrote: "Char wrote: "I've just finished this and I didn't like it... please don't throw things at me. I found it difficult to get into and the maths and the science baffled me and the prime numbers as chap..."

I know what you mean Mara, If he'd just stuck with the story it could have been a really special book but as I said in my review the things that drew me into the book ended up pushing me away and I didn't like that. I won't lie, I skimmed through the maths bits because I couldn't be bothered. There's more to life than maths and science. I hate it when I think that after I've finished a book. It makes me feel sad knowing that I've wasted time reading it.

Linda I loved this book and thought the author got the character dead on. I have a child on the autism spectrum and loved reading from this point of view. I beleive the emphasis on the maths and sciences was due to the fact that this is the reality of the thought process of the child. Can you imagine this being your reality. The author really knows of what he speaks since he has been involved with teaching autistic children.

message 28: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
You can tell that this book is a few years old now as some of the scientific theories presented have 'evolved'. Such as the theory that eventually the universe will stop expanding only to start collapsing in on itself. They now believe that it will just keep expanding.

The tangent chapters were both a blessing and a curse for me. On the one hand, they allowed for a better understanding of Christopher and how his world works. On the other hand, with some of them I just wanted to know what would happen next and not have some maths formula explained to me.

I really enjoyed reading from an autistic child's point of view. It was very different, but in a good way. Everything was very blunt and the dialogue was simply a recreation of what he heard - and considering current British society, it's obvious why the book is full of bad language.

I found the science very interesting, though the maths baffled me a bit. But then, Christopher's world revolves around maths and science, like many autistic children, so it wouldn't have made sense not to include it.

Trisha I really think that this book is geared towards a certain type of audience and that people will either relate to it or not enjoy it.
I read this book back when I was in grad school for a psychology class. Since then, I have worked in outpatient counseling and have had the pleasure of working with children from varying points on the autistic spectrum, many with Asperger's.
Even though the plotline itself is a little...unique, I think that the author's portrayel of Aspererger's, through the eyes of the narrator, was spot on. Not everything he said made sense, there were things that he obsessed about, repeated, perseverated on, all of which is very common with people who have Aspergerger's. He would get bogged down in his own thinking which , granted, slowed the story, but it also slowed his progress, which is something that I would constantly witness first hand. A client would become wrapped up in their thoughts and lose sight of what they were talking about.
I enjoyed the novel, not so much for its storyline, but for its accurate portrayal and for giving the reader a chance to experience a situation through someone elses eyes.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I wasn't a fan of this novel. I had to really push myself through it.