Basically Books! discussion

Daughters of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #2)
This topic is about Daughters of Rome
Former Group Reads > Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn (November's Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Goodreads description:

A powerful epic novel of Ancient Rome, packed with drama, violence, passion and secrets. A.D. 69. The Roman Empire is up for the taking. The Year of Four Emperors will change everything - especially the lives of two sisters with a very personal stake in the outcome. Elegant and ambitious, Cornelia embodies the essence of the perfect Roman wife. She lives to one day see her loyal husband as Emperor. Her sister Marcella is more aloof, content to witness history rather than make it. But when a bloody coup turns their world upside down, both women must manoeuvre carefully just to stay alive. As Cornelia tries to pick up the pieces of her shattered dreams, Marcella discovers a hidden talent for influencing the most powerful men in Rome. In the end, though, there can only be one Emperor...and one Empress.

Let us know what you think!

If you wish to discuss spoilers please use the spoiler bracket (view spoiler)

message 2: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) I read in the reviews that it many of the characters are present in Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn as well. I wonder if not reading that book would affect the experience with this one :S

message 3: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
This book is set something like 20 years before the events of Mistress of Rome so you should be ok. The weirdest thing so far is that all four of the girls are called Cordelia. (Though this is in keeping with Roman tradition it can make it a little hard to distinguish who's who.)

message 4: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) so it's like a prequel? phew! it thought it was some sort of sequel!

message 5: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi | 49 comments Need to locate this book my library does not have a copy but it sounds really good from the goodreads description

message 6: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Jeshu wrote: "so it's like a prequel? phew! it thought it was some sort of sequel!"

Yes, this is a prequel of sorts. So the events of Mistress of Rome have not yet come to pass. I would assume that you don't need to have read that one to understand this one.

message 7: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Jessi wrote: "Need to locate this book my library does not have a copy but it sounds really good from the goodreads description"

I don't think that the author is particularly well known. A shame because, though her books have a taste of modernism in them, they are very good! Total guilty pleasure reads for me! ;)

message 8: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi | 49 comments If I can't find it in time for the group read I shall check into getting it on Amazon. I just am trying hard not to buy books for awhile because I now have book piles in two different closets LOL

message 9: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Jessi wrote: "If I can't find it in time for the group read I shall check into getting it on Amazon. I just am trying hard not to buy books for awhile because I now have book piles in two different closets LOL"

I know the problem! I just keep adding to my TBR pile. I'm not sure I'll ever manage to read through it all! lol

message 10: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi | 49 comments LOL Rea same here

message 11: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) WElcome to the never-ending TBR pile club XD

message 12: by Rina (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rina (karinaskoglund) I especially liked this quote: (putting it under a spoiler tag because it's located about 60% into the book).

(view spoiler)