Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
This topic is about Blameless
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Carriger, Gail - Blameless (Buddy Read) November 1 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger Blameless, by Gail Carriger

Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season.

Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. To top it all off, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs, indicating, as only ladybugs can, the fact that all of London's vampires are now very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead.

While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.

We are planning a "buddy read" of this one - probably in early November. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussion questions or just pop in to say "Hi!"

EXPECT SPOILERS!

Dates		Chapters	PPDQs*
November 1st 1 -3 Lisa Kay
November 2nd 4 – 6 Anomander
November 3rd 7 – 9 Liad
November 4th 10 – 12 Anomander
November 5th 13 – 16 Lisa Kay (in 2 parts)

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

Participants So Far:
Anomander
Liad
Cheryl
Lisa Kay

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 1 – 3

1. Am I the only one who thinks Alexia’s stepfather, Squire Herbert Lontwill, secretly likes Alexia and appreciates her wit? (Even if she did steal his carriage.) Too bad he can’t stand up to his wife and daughters. Comments.

2. The Queen dumped her too! Wow. Thank goodness for Lord Akeldama. Well, and Ivy’s “support,” such as it is. Comments.

3. I agree with Professor Lyall; it is going to take more than groveling for Alexia to forgive Conall, true?

4. Was Boots telling Alexia the truth? Was Lord Akeldama's message in code? Does the cat’s collar hold the key to where he went?

5. Homicidal mechanical dripping ladybugs? Eek! Were you worried? Or did you know the parasol would hold a solution?

6. Professor Lyall proposed to Madame Lefoux, Floote and Tunstell that all of this has to do with Alessandro Tarabotti. Whoa. Predictions as to how?

7. I was going to ask, in question #3, how and why does Professor Lyall think Alexia is in danger, but this was answered in Chapter 3. Now I’ll have to ask, do you think his hypothesis correct? Were you surprised the vamps wanted to test and possible kill Alexia? Or are these coming from two separate parties? Just because she pregnant? Or is there a more complicated reason?

8. I hate to ask, but can Lord Akeldama be trusted?

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 05, 2011 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Anomander’s Questions for Chapters 4-6

9. Seriously hate people with the holier than thou attitude. Wish Alexia had whacked the woman in the tea-shop with her parasol!

10. Pretty easy to disown the activities of The Hypocras Club, right? If they had succeeded, good but since they got caught..the official statement would be: we didn't know what they were doing. Buy that?

11. I'm beginning to like Floote a lot. Quite a resourceful fellow, isn't he? Any thoughts on his previous profession? (Butler, my a**)

12. Ladybugs?” Tunstell perked up. “I am rather fond of ladybugs. They are so delightfully hemispherical." That was such an Ivy thing to say!

13. Did you expect Alexia to leave for Italy?

14. “Leave England,”. “And beware Italians who embroider. What did you make of this? And how DID he know she'd go to Italy? (I would love to see Akeldama's BUR file.)

15. Where HAS Major Channing gone to?

16. Feeling sorry for Conall. D'you think he really believes Alexia would cheat on him?

17. It must be so hard for Alexia to know that she'll lose her child. Similar to how Le Foux must have felt when raising Angelique's kid.

18. Was it wise of Le Foux to tell it all to Gustave? Do we trust him? He did invent the ladybugs, after all. And what was that significant glance towards Floote? It made him stop talking. What do you make of that?
“Oh, dear, but, Alexia, you do realize”—Ivy lowered her voice to a whisper—“that Italy is where they keep Italians. Are you quite certain you are adequately prepared to cope?”

“I understand that Italy is the place vegetables come from—all that weather. Terribly bad for the digestion—vegetables.”

“Oh, really? How noble of you. But I suppose you are French, which can’t possibly be all that different from Italian.”

“What I heard… Oh, I can hardly speak of it… I heard that in Italy they drink”—she paused —“coffee.” She shuddered delicately.
Ivy cracks me up.
“There is something different about you?” Apparently not pinpointing the enormous mustache draped atop the inventor’s upper lip as the culprit, he added, “Is that a new hat?”

“Aha, that is what is different! She is wearing that ridiculous fake mustache again. It has been a long time. You must be traveling incognito. What fun!”
Ivy has competition, I see.

Liad’s Questions for Chapters 7-9

19) Which one would you prefer: a fly on an ornythoptere? a ride aboard the french cab? or the transalpian sky-rail?

20) What do you think about the German scientist and his behavior toward Alexia and Floote?

21) What do you think about Conall turn over?

22) Do you think Templars are ally or enemy?

Bonus question : Would you eat a French croissant ? Do you like French cuisine ?

message 3: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Anomander’s Questions for Chapters 10-12

23. What was your first thought when you read that the Templars weren't even looking at Alexia?

24. Floote in robes? Hilarious!

25. The Church opposed science back then. Why were the Templars exempted and allowed to study science?

26. Not interested in relics. Slipping up and saying yes she knows the German...that isn't like the Alexia we have come to know. Is it?

27. Breeding program? Eugenics? Thoughts?

28. An extermination order? Only now I've come to realize the extent of the power a potentate or a dewan has.

29. Ivy's letter hehehe I knew they were too dismissive of her abilities.

30. Who may the masked gentleman be?

31. Yikes! Preserving body parts of preternaturals? Alexia had better get out of there.

32. Poor Biffy. Why didn't the potentate just kill him?

33. Poor Biffy again. Was Lyall right? Would Akeldama prefer a werewolf Biffy over a dead one?

Good use of pesto.

My favorite:
“Your father, madam, was fully cremated. I made absolutely certain.”
Alexia swallowed silently and then said fervently, “Thank you, Floote.”
Another favorite:
“Holy Tunics of Piety and Faith, madam.”
“Nightgowns,” insisted Alexia firmly.

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 13 – 14

34. How difficult can it be?! Whoa. Would you give Alexia a gun if you were Floote?

35. Alexia can be a tool – living or dead! Now there’s a scary revelation. What are the implications to all the different factions? Comments.

36. Runaway horses! And the parasol comes in hand again. Were you surprised that the Templar preceptor was setting Alexia up as bait for the vamp? Guess her safety is not paramount, since she’s still good to him alive or dead. Still, he could have lost her to the vamp. Right?

37. So, we learn that the white wolf and the masked man are (view spoiler) Were you surprised? Triumphant? Disappointed?

38. The fangs and canines of outrageous fortune!” LOL! Too funny. What is your favorite line from Chapter 14?

39. What did you think of Mr. German Specimen/Lange-Wolsdorf’s hypothesis? Did your heart sink with Alexia’s to learn that Genevieve Lefoux & Mr. Floote were not sharing the “hospitality” of the Templars? Or were you expecting that?

40. Lord Akeldama’s back! Yea! (view spoiler)

41. What did you think of Queen Victoria’s cavalier attitude toward Biffy?

42. What exactly is a soul-stealer?

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 15 – 16

43. Did you sit up and take notice when the two young Templar guards sit down in Alexia’s dungeon and start embroidering?

44. When Monsieur Gustave Trouvé’s ladybugs first appeared in the catacombs, did you think they were there to harm her or help her escape?

45. Channing Channing can still leer at Alexia? What an arrogant lecher. No comment. Just a statement of fact.

46. Did Conall grovel enough? Should Alexia have asked for the Nordenfelt?

47. Will you continue with this series?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Reserved.

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Yaay! Look Liad, Lisa got us a new thread! :-D

Liad | 43 comments Thx Lisa I am ready we can start whenever you are :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments You are welcome. Tuesday, November 1st looks good for me.

Cheryl (cawils_99) I would like to join in for this buddy read. I am really looking forward to reading this book.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Great, Cheryl!

message 10: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Who's taking the first set of questions and how much are we reading?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments If I remember correctly, the chapters were a little longer than average in the other two books. I'll have to check it out when I get the book. What are you comfortable with, Anomander?

message 12: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments 16 chapters. 4 a day could be okay. When will you get the book?

message 13: by Liad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liad | 43 comments 4 chapters a day is too much for me I am sorry :/ can we keep a 3/day ?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Three a day is better for me, too. I'll have the book by the 1st.

message 15: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Sure..3 a day, it is.

message 16: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Get the book yet,Lisa?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yes. Working on the chapter break-down now, Anomander.

message 18: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 01, 2011 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 1 – 3

1. Am I the only one who thinks Alexia’s stepfather, Squire Herbert Lontwill, secretly likes Alexia and appreciates her wit? (Even if she did steal his carriage.) Too bad he can’t stand up to his wife and daughters. Comments.

2. The Queen dumped her too! Wow. Thank goodness for Lord Akeldama. Well, and Ivy’s “support,” such as it is. Comments.

3. I agree with Professor Lyall; it is going to take more than groveling for Alexia to forgive Conall, true?

4. Was Boots telling Alexia the truth? Was Lord Akeldama's message in code? Does the cat’s collar hold the key to where he went?

5. Homicidal mechanical dripping ladybugs? Eek! Were you worried? Or did you know the parasol would hold a solution?

6. Professor Lyall proposed to Madame Lefoux, Floote and Tunstell that all of this has to do with Alessandro Tarabotti. Whoa. Predictions as to how?

7. I was going to ask, in question #3, how and why does Professor Lyall think Alexia is in danger, but this was answered in Chapter 3. Now I’ll have to ask, do you think his hypothesis correct? Were you surprised the vamps wanted to test and possible kill Alexia? Or are these coming from two separate parties? Just because she pregnant? Or is there a more complicated reason?

message 19: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments hehehe you went ahead and posted questions? *feeling lazy*

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yup. Getting the show on the road, Anomander.

message 21: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 1 – 3

Yeah, he does like her. She's too sensible as compared to the other women of his family.

That was rather rude of the queen! The way Alexia's depending on Akeldama made me doubt it.

Much much more!

4. Was Boots telling Alexia the truth? Was Lord Akeldama message in code? Does the cat’s collar’s hold the key to where he went?

I'm pretty sure Akeldama wouldn't choose a flippant person to deliver an important message.

I just couldn't stop laughing! Lady bugs? Seriously?

Dunno. His past is quite mysterious. We found out in the last book that he was into men. There wasn't even a hint of that in the first book.

Because she's pregnant but why does the child scare vampires so? Maybe they think werewolves have found a way to increase their numbers?

Yes, I really really like him.

message 22: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Who is doing the questions for tomorrow? Lemme know if you need someone for that.

Cheryl (cawils_99) Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 1 – 3

I agree that he likes her and he won't admit it because of his wife and daughters. He is the only one other that Alexia with any sense.

I was really hoping to was hoping Alexia could stay with Lord Akeldama but now Professor Lyall has me wondering how he really feels about her and this pregnancy.

Of course Alexia is not going to let him of the hook that easily. I hope he comes around sooner that later. I miss their interaction.

4. Was Boots telling Alexia the truth? Was Lord Akeldama message in code? Does the cat’s collar’s hold the key to where he went?
I think it has some kind of message but I'm not sure it's about his location. There is always so much secrecy where Lord Akeldama is concerned. He seems to be playing both sides(Alexia and the vampires).

I knew she had the situation under control the whole time. She is so handy with her parasol. I worry more when she doesn't have it with her.

I've been wondering when we were going to get some more info about Mr. Tarabotti. I can't imagine how he is involved though. I'm having a hard time not reading ahead to find out.

Well we know the vampires don't like her one bit so I don't think it is a stretch that they are involved with trying to test/kill her. She is an unnone to everyone now that she is pregnant they must have some idea about what could happen were she to have the baby.

That is the big question. I hope he can be but he is so suspicious and being a rogue makes him very unpredictable. I miss his and Alexias conversations.

message 24: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 01, 2011 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sorry for messing up the 's !!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Anomander wrote: "Who is doing the questions for tomorrow? Lemme know if you need someone for that."

Can you do them, Anomander?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Anomander

#2 – I can see the Queen doing that – what with her conservative ways and her loss of her own husband. Still…

#3 – Agreed!! Big Time Groveling Plus

#4 – Good point.

#5 – It did paint a funny image. ☺

#7 – Yeah. I don’t know. Could be the whole procreation of werewolves… but there is only one of her! Not too big a threat, that.

#8 – I think after their shared experience in the first book they are BFFL (best friends for life). We’ll see.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Cheryl

#1 – Really! She’s the only point of intelligence in that household. I imagine the others drive him a little batty.

#2 – Oh, no! I don’t want to doubt Lord Akeldama!

#3 – I miss Conall & Alexia’s interact too. And he’s drinking formaldehyde? Yikes!

#4 – I thought she would have had the cat’s collar figured out before she went to tea and sent out her messages; it would have been my priority… but, we’ll see. Maybe she didn’t delay at all.

#5 – Good point, Cheryl! I worry more when she doesn’t have her parasol too.

#6 – I’m stumped too.

#7 – You think they have some ancient text – or maybe just an ancient vamp that know what will happen if she has a baby?

#8 – Oh, no! (Sorry, I said that, didn’t I? LOL!)

message 28: by Liad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liad | 43 comments 1. Am I the only one who thinks Alexia’s stepfather, Squire Herbert Lontwill, secretly likes Alexia and appreciates her wit? (Even if she did steal his carriage.) Too bad he can’t stand up to his wife and daughters. Comments.

Without her sharps words to kick back at his wife & daughters, he will start to drink Sheep Juice soon.

It's not really surprising but really disappointing.

Let's hope she doesn't use her parasol ^^'

This "new boy" is suspicious.

Next from Madame Lefoux : the Electromagnetic Disruptor Net Launcher for Parasol of all sizes. Don't miss it !

Maybe he didn't slept with the right person one time >.>

I bet a preternatural werewolf hybrid would be a BIG threat to vampires ^^"

I hope so :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Liad

#1 – LOL! Good one.

#3 – Well, maybe one small to medium size whack. He’s strong; he can handle it.

#4 – I think he is suspicious too. Looks like we are all on board with that one. Interesting.

#5 – The latest from Paris!

#6 – Oh, could be.

#7 – Whoa. I didn’t think of it that way.

#8 – Me too!

**hee hee** Still laughing at your answer to #1.

message 30: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Liad:
I bet a preternatural werewolf hybrid would be a BIG threat to vampires.
Very true!

message 31: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Okay, Lisa Kay.. will do.

message 32: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Lisa Kay:
That is the big question. I hope he can be but he is so suspicious and being a rogue makes him very unpredictable.
It might make him unpredictable but I think he actually loves Alexia.

message 33: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Questions for Chapters 4-6:
1. Seriously hate people with the holier than thou attitude. Wish Alexia had whacked the woman in the tea-shop with her parasol!

2. Pretty easy to disown the activities of The Hypocras Club, right? If they had succeeded, good but since they got caught..the official statement would be: we didn't know what they were doing. Buy that?

3. I'm beginning to like Floote a lot. Quite a resourceful fellow, isn't he? Any thoughts on his previous profession? (Butler, my a**)

4. Ladybugs?” Tunstell perked up. “I am rather fond of ladybugs. They are so delightfully hemispherical." That was such an Ivy thing to say!

5. Did you expect Alexia to leave for Italy?

6. Leave England,”. “And beware Italians who embroider. What did you make of this? And how DID he know she'd go to Italy? (I would love to see Akeldama's BUR file.)

7. Where HAS Major Channing gone to?

8. Feeling sorry for Conall. D'you think he really believes Alexia would cheat on him?

9. It must be so hard for Alexia to know that she'll lose her child. Similar to how Le Foux must have felt when raising Angelique's kid.

10. Was it wise of Le Foux to tell it all to Gustave? Do we trust him? He did invent the ladybugs, after all. And what was that significant glance towards Floote? It made him stop talking. What do you make of that?

Oh, dear, but, Alexia, you do realize”—Ivy lowered her voice to a whisper—“that Italy is where they keep Italians. Are you quite certain you are adequately prepared to cope?
Oh, really? How noble of you. But I suppose you are French, which can’t possibly be all that different from Italian.
I understand that Italy is the place vegetables come from—all that weather. Terribly bad for the digestion—vegetables.”
What I heard… Oh, I can hardly speak of it… I heard that in Italy they drink”—she paused —“coffee.” She shuddered delicately.
Ivy cracks me up.

“There is something different about you?” Apparently not pinpointing the enormous mustache draped atop the inventor’s upper lip as the culprit, he added, “Is that a new hat?”
“Aha, that is what is different! She is wearing that ridiculous fake mustache again. It has been a long time. You must be traveling incognito. What fun!” Ivy has competition, I see.

Cheryl (cawils_99) Questions for Chapters 4-6:
1. Seriously hate people with the holier than thou attitude. Wish Alexia had whacked the woman in the tea-shop with her parasol!

I've always hated that women were assumed guilty no matter what they say(if they are allowed to speak). That is a perfect time to use the parasol!

2. Pretty easy to disown the activities of The Hypocras Club, right? If they had succeeded, good but since they got caught..the official statement would be: we didn't know what they were doing. Buy that?

I think there is more to it than that. It feels like an excuse to me. I have a good feeling we haven't seen the last of the Hypocras Club(good or bad).

3. I'm beginning to like Floote a lot. Quite a resourceful fellow, isn't he? Any thoughts on his previous profession? (Butler, my a**)

I love that he sticks with Alexia even though he won't tell her about her father. I really want to know more about Mr. Tarabotti. He seems like the key to what is going on with Alexia.

4. Ladybugs?” Tunstell perked up. “I am rather fond of ladybugs. They are so delightfully hemispherical." That was such an Ivy thing to say!

She says the craziest things. Does she even have a single clue to what is going on around her? I think not! I'm afraid to read what she will end up doing to the hat shop.

Only because I read it on the back of the book:P I just want her to get some answers!!

6. Leave England,”. “And beware Italians who embroider. What did you make of this? And how DID he know she'd go to Italy? (I would love to see Akeldama's BUR file.)

He is amazing and I miss his banter with Alexia. I have no idea what he could possibly mean about keeping away from embroidery. I'm glad that Alexia listens to him no matter how odd the request. He hasn't failed her yet!

To get more formaldehyde for Conall of course. Duh:)

8. Feeling sorry for Conall. D'you think he really believes Alexia would cheat on him?

He deserves it after how he treated Alexia. He needs to get ahold of himself!

9. It must be so hard for Alexia to know that she'll lose her child. Similar to how Le Foux must have felt when raising Angelique's kid.

She can't, I have to know what the child is!

10. Was it wise of Le Foux to tell it all to Gustave? Do we trust him? He did invent the ladybugs, after all. And what was that significant glance towards Floote? It made him stop talking. What do you make of that?

I think he's ok and he seems to know about Alexia's father which is the reason for the glance. They all know something they are not telling Alexia about her father and it must be pretty bad if they are keeping it from her.

message 35: by Liad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liad | 43 comments 1. Seriously hate people with the holier than thou attitude. Wish Alexia had whacked the woman in the tea-shop with her parasol!

Or give her the ladybug-in-the-box ^^

I think they are so eager to learn about the supernaturals yet they've met so few, they think about them of some kind of animals and don't mind to get dirty.

It looks like all the second in command have great capacity, Professor Lyall/Lord Maccon, Floote/the Tarabottis and Lord Ambrose/Queen of the Hive, even The Shadow Council/The Queen.

LOL

No rather to stay in France with Madame Lefoux

That's a good question.

Maybe he has to protect Alexia.

I think he is torned apart by doubts and love and he has to manage the resulting pain.

:/

Nobody is telling the plain truth to Alexia, she will have to dig for it :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lisa Kay’s Answers to Anomander’s Questions for Chapters 4-6

9. Seriously hate people with the holier than thou attitude. Wish Alexia had whacked the woman in the tea-shop with her parasol!
Yes! And her daughter too!

10. Pretty easy to disown the activities of The Hypocras Club, right? If they had succeeded, good but since they got caught..the official statement would be: we didn't know what they were doing. Buy that?
It has been working for centuries!

11. I'm beginning to like Floote a lot. Quite a resourceful fellow, isn't he? Any thoughts on his previous profession? (Butler, my a**)
Really. Maybe some branch of the military?

12. Ladybugs?” Tunstell perked up. “I am rather fond of ladybugs. They are so delightfully hemispherical." That was such an Ivy thing to say!
Yeah, he’s been hanging around her too long, LOL!

13. Did you expect Alexia to leave for Italy?
Well… I read it in a review several weeks ago… so, yes, I knew. But I don’t remember the rest of the info from the review. Interesting that she was surprised that Lord Akeldama knew she was going there.

14. “Leave England,”. “And beware Italians who embroider. What did you make of this? And how DID he know she'd go to Italy? (I would love to see Akeldama's BUR file.)
Very cryptic message. I had to laugh about her making sure none of her clothing was embroidered. I don’ think that was what he meant, but I guess one can’t be too careful. (Love to see the file too!)

15. Where HAS Major Channing gone to?
Beats me. I never liked him. Maybe he is following Alexia to Italy? Maybe on Conall’s orders?

16. Feeling sorry for Conall. D'you think he really believes Alexia would cheat on him?
I think he is a reasonably intelligent person and he is beginning to have his doubts… but that is only making him drink more, b/c he knows he messed up!

17. It must be so hard for Alexia to know that she'll lose her child. Similar to how Le Foux must have felt when raising Angelique's kid.
Yes, the fact that preternatural are repelled by one another brings a whole new issue into the mix – that she might “rid” herself of the child, let alone miscarry. Or not share the delights in it growing up. Sad.

18. Was it wise of Le Foux to tell it all to Gustave? Do we trust him? He did invent the ladybugs, after all. And what was that significant glance towards Floote? It made him stop talking. What do you make of that?
No! Especially about the baby! Why did she do that? Stupid. And I don’t like that Gustave call his deceased wife a turnip. Really! I don’t think Lefoux should have told Gustave who Alexia’s father was either!
“Oh, dear, but, Alexia, you do realize”—Ivy lowered her voice to a whisper—“that Italy is where they keep Italians. Are you quite certain you are adequately prepared to cope?”

“I understand that Italy is the place vegetables come from—all that weather. Terribly bad for the digestion—vegetables.”

“Oh, really? How noble of you. But I suppose you are French, which can’t possibly be all that different from Italian.”

“What I heard… Oh, I can hardly speak of it… I heard that in Italy they drink”—she paused —“coffee.” She shuddered delicately.
Ivy cracks me up.

“Aha, that is what is different! She is wearing that ridiculous fake mustache again. It has been a long time. You must be traveling incognito. What fun!”
Ivy has competition, I see.
Yes, I’m loving Ivy again. She was a little TSTL in emergencies in the last book, I like her better in this one.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Anomander

Changed the numbers on you Qs for ease of reference for our discussions!

message 38: by Liad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liad | 43 comments whats TSTL stands for ?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sorry! TSTL = Too Stupid To Live

message 40: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Cheryl:
#6 He is amazing and I miss his banter with Alexia. I have no idea what he could possibly mean about keeping away from embroidery. I'm glad that Alexia listens to him no matter how odd the request. He hasn't failed her yet!
Doesn't embroider also mean to lie?

#7 To get more formaldehyde for Conall of course. Duh:)
LOL!

message 41: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Liad:
#1. Or give her the ladybug-in-the-box ^^
hehehe good idea!
#3. It looks like all the second in command have great capacity, Professor Lyall/Lord Maccon, Floote/the Tarabottis and Lord Ambrose/Queen of the Hive, even The Shadow Council/The Queen.
Good point!
#7. You don't say! *winks*

message 42: by Midu (last edited Nov 02, 2011 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments @ Lisa Kay:
#18. I thought so too.
About Ivy
True, she started annoying me by the end of the previous book. I think the author felt so too. You'll see why, as you read ahead.
And thanks for changing the numbers. I keep forgetting to do that, sorry.

message 43: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Who's doing the questions this time? Liad?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Cheryl

#2/10 – Oh, really? I hadn’t thought of that. Duh!

#3/11 – I think you are right; Mr. Tarabotti is the key.

#7/15 – You are so clever! Now, why didn’t I think of that, LOL!

#9/17 – I think she and the child will be all right.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Liad

#1/9 – Oh, good idea!

#2/10 – I hadn’t noticed that – but you’re right!

#7/15 – Ah! Protect her or spy on her?

#10/18 – Great answer!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Anomander wrote: "Doesn't embroider also mean to lie?"

Wow! Love it!

message 47: by Midu (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments :-) i kept thinking that was the hint but it wasn't that subtle a hint, at all.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Went over my head until you spelled it out for me, LOL!

message 49: by Liad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liad | 43 comments I will post questions in a few hours ^^

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Thanks, Liad!

« previous 1 3