Bahá'í Readers discussion

Reading Baha'i Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Nov 14, 2011 11:38PM) (new)

Cindy (noregroetz) | 12 comments Currently, I am reading Rejoice in my Gladness:The Life of Tahirih. I really like the book and it offers a wide panorama of information - mostly possibilities. And surprisingly there is very little actual information on Tahirih, but more about what was going on a ll over the world around her, What she might have done, might have eaten . . .. . .. That is a little frustrating

message 3: by Tamela (new)

Tamela Rich | 4 comments I am going to start Abraham One God, Three Wives, Five Religionsand wonder if anyone else would like to read it with me? I met the author a couple of years ago and she presented at our Charlotte commemoration of the birth of Baha'u'llah. A fascinating topic and speaker. Can't wait to start the book.

message 4: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 12 comments Mod
I don't think we have that book in Australia that I've seen, but it sounds interesting, I know very little about Abraham which is a shame considering that he is the link between the world's major religions.

I'm reading the Advent of Divine Justice at the moment bit by bit when I have the brainpower- usually when I read it's for relaxation so I usually go for fiction instead... Saying that, every time I pick up a Baha'i book or other spiritual book (I really love Resurgence magazine), I realise how nice it is to read something meaningful.

The aspect of the Advent of Divine Justice I have found the most interesting so far is what Shoghi Effendi says about America and Iran- he says (paraphrasing!) both countries are full of huge spiritual potential etc but said this was due to how far from God both countries have come, not because they're inherently better than other places. I found it quite amazing especially considering how the overwhelming majority of international Baha'i pioneers in the world today seem to be either American or Iranian.

I also find it quite surprising that countries like Afghanistan and Chad are not the top 2, I don't really understand why this is!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (noregroetz) | 12 comments I work at the U.S. Baha'i National Center and there is a lending library in the basement. I just finished "Rejoice in my Gladness" from there and I have just borrowed Abraham . . . and Leaves . . . and I have bought "Gate of the Heart". The book club is reading that one. Ten people showed up to discuss it today. So cool. I am in Baha'i reading Abha.

message 6: by Frances (new)

Frances Worthington | 1 comments Sonia wrote: "I don't think we have that book in Australia that I've seen, but it sounds interesting, I know very little about Abraham which is a shame considering that he is the link between the world's major r..." Sonia: According to the World Catalog (WorldCat.org), the Belconnen Library in Canberra has a copy of Abraham: One God, Three Wives, Five Religions, so you ought to be able to borrow it through interlibrary loan. Do tell me if you try to get it and succeed!

message 7: by Sonia (last edited Jan 07, 2012 03:43AM) (new)

Sonia | 12 comments Mod
Thanks for finding that Frances, I've never heard of that website before! I just checked out the cost of interlibrary loans from there and it's $13.65 which is a bit more than I'd really be willing to pay to borrow, not buy, a book! But if a few of you guys here want to read that, go ahead and start a new thread about it- it'd be great to get a book discussion happening here regardless of the book...

I just started reading God Passes By (and ironically also joined an intensive Ruhi Book 4 shortly afterwards which I'm currently participating in!) and received Leaves of the Twin Divine Trees from my grandparents for my birthday. Has everyone read the Leaves book? (Cindy I presume you've read it by now since you said you borrowed it a while back!)

I wouldn't even mind reading something together that I've already read like the Dawn Breakers - Nabíl's Narrative, because it can be nice to have a refresher and in the case of the Dawn Breakers, those stories are so inspiring for the teaching campaigns we're all part of right now. :)