SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Nov 2011] "Serpent's Kiss" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments This is the discussion thread for November's BOM: Serpent's Kiss by Thea Harrison.
Spoilers Welcome Here

Thanks to Anomander for suggesting we continue on with the series :D

[BOM discussion threads for books 1-2: #1: Dragon Bound and #2: Storm's Heart.]

Please include in your discussion:
* If you've read the previous installments, how did this installment in the series compare?
* Did you like the main characters? (If not, why?)
* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments :-D *runs to get her book*

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments :D

message 4: by Purple (new)

Purple (purpletan) | 55 comments Just a few hours and its November... :)

message 5: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3549 comments * How did this installment in the series compare? This was a slow starter for me then rushed feeling in the end.

* Did you like the main characters? I had such high hopes for Rune since he was one of my fav sentinels, but the chemistry didn't ignite right away with "darling" Carling. Still luv Rune, Carling seemed like another self absorbed vamp tired of living.

* Did you have a favorite quote or scene? Probably Aryal telling Rune and then Carling that they sucked ass...

* Would you recommend the book to others? Yes, I still like the series and characters. Addicted now and pulling my book buddies in for the ride too. The time slips were a unique twist in this one, and I really enjoyed the ending.

* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series? Yes, but not sure how I'm feeling about the next book with the Oracle that was introduced and the Djinn.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) I am not enjoying this one.

message 7: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments I'm sorry, Dawn. What's wreckin' it for ya? It was a bit slow to go, unlike the first two.

message 8: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments The second half was much better than the first half IMO.

Though I did like the look back in time bits (view spoiler). Unique bit having a disappearing island.

Looking forward to the Oracle and the Djinn and hoping it will get back to the greatness that was book #1. Certainly has that potential, reading the teaser at the end of the book.

message 9: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments I just knew this one'd be a let down. Scared of starting it now..

message 10: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Ah, don't say that, Anomander. Ya never know - everyone's tastes are different. You may love it. Gotta give it a go. :)

I think the next one should be interesting. I wanted more from the clan, but will be cool to see more about this Djinn. Plus, the Oracle's sense of humor mixed with his old fashion (seeming) personality should prove to be a hoot.

message 11: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Anomander, you must read #3, interesting bits and more backstory. I gave it 4 stars so it wasn't all bad just not as good as #1.

message 12: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Okay, guys..will give it a try. Thanks. :-)

message 13: by Lisa M (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:26PM) (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments * If you've read the previous installments, how did this installment in the series compare?
It ranked third for me. It was a character-driven story, when I prefer action stories.
I thought that Rune, as Dragos's first, would have made a great action hero. I thought he was wasted on this story. In spite of that, I thought he was great--smart, gentle, irreverent, rock-star handsome... I didn't care for Carling at all. Never have, and this book didn't give me any reason to change my mind.
“If you fail somehow--if you die--I will search for a way to walk through time to find you. No matter where you are. No matter when. I swear it." (Rune to Carling.)
Yes. The series is a must-read, and so the book is also.
Definitely. I'm looking forward to Oracle's Moon based on the interaction between Grace and the Djinn that we've already seen. They were hilarious!

message 14: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Yay, Anomander! :D Peer pressure --- gotta love it. >;)

Lisa M, I agree, this one was more character-driven. And, I loved that quote as well. *swoon*

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

* If you've read the previous installments, how did this installment in the series compare?

I thought it was terrific. But then I like character driven stories and this one was definitely that. I thought she redeemed herself a lot with Rune. I hated Thundercock in the last one, he was just one long alpha growl and it drove me mental.

Carling and Rune were terrific together -- and they were terrific apart, which is kind of unusual in PNR. I really liked Carling, I thought Harrison balanced her out well. She was powerful but gracious, vulnerable but never needy. Rune was just about the perfect alpha: he was strong but he communicated so well that his strength was never overt or posturing. It was all in his actions, and the automatic way he supported Carling.

I really like when Carling gets rid of her flunky (I forget her name). I think it's because she's so...queenly in that scene and so strong and resolute.

Definitely. With the caveat that book 2 is utterly missable.

For sure. Harrison is doing good things with this series. The next one is going to be all kinds of phoarr. That djinn looks like the goods.

message 16: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Thundercock LMAO! ;)

message 17: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments * If you've read the previous installments, how did this installment in the series compare?

Neither the 2nd or 3rd measure up to the 1st but this one was better than the 2nd.

Yes, I'd say good job, Thea for making me see Carling in a different light. Succubus vampire queen was just too creepy!

Khalil scowled. “I could have sat on the children.”

Nah!

Yep!

message 18: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 171 comments Anomander wrote: "* If you've read the previous installments, how did this installment in the series compare?

Neither the 2nd or 3rd measure up to the 1st but this one was better than the 2nd.

* Did you like the m..."

Good quote! LOL! I'm looking forward to Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison

message 19: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Me too. If he continues to sit on children, I want in!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Anomander wrote: "* Khalil scowled. “I could have sat on the children."

That WAS a great quote. I'm already half in love with him, he sounds dishy.

You wouldn't recommend the series?

message 21: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Nah, just the first book.

message 22: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28236 comments Miss Moss, you always keep me on my toes with your frequent avatar changes. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Serpent's Kiss (other topics)
Oracle's Moon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Thea Harrison (other topics)