You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Jane's Completed Year-Long Challenge

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane Reads (last edited Jun 30, 2012 08:55PM) (new)

Jane Reads Month 1: Birthday Month, October -- Scared Stiff -- finished 10/27/11 ★★★★

Month 2: Birthstone -- Opal Fire -- finished 5/14/12 ★★★★

Month 3: Published in 1957 -- Please Don't Eat the Daisies -- finished 6/8/12 ★★

Month 4: US author, Leann Sweeney -- The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse -- finished 10/15/11 ★★★★

Month 5: Set in UK -- Ice Blue -- finished 4/1/12 ★★★★★

Month 6: Favorite genre, mystery -- For Better, For Murder -- finished 10/9/11 ★★★★★

Month 7: Author name -- Jane K Cleland, Consigned to Death -- finished 6/2/12 ★★★★

Month 8: Favorite flower -- A Rose from the Dead -- finished 5/28/12 ★★★

Month 9: Longest on TBR list (ever since I completed U is for Undertow) -- V is for Vengeance -- finished 11/16/11 ★★★★

Month 10: Favorite animal, horse -- The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation -- finished 10/18/11 ★★★

Month 11: Memoir or biography -- Jane Goodall, Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe -- finished 5/26/12 ★★★★

Month 12: Issue/cause -- 100 Heartbeats: A Journey to Meet Our Planet's Endangered Animals and the Heroes Working to Save Them -- finished 6/3/12 ★★★

Bonus task: Hobby - cooking, Carbs & Cadavers -- finished 6/30/12 ★★

Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2) by Annelise Ryan Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery #1) by Barbra Annino Please Don't Eat the Daisies by Jean Kerr The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #1) by Leann Sweeney Ice Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge Series, #1) by Emma Jameson For Better, For Murder by Lisa Bork Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1) by Jane K. Cleland A Rose from the Dead (Flower Shop Mystery, #6) by Kate Collins V is for Vengeance (Kinsey Millhone, #22) by Sue Grafton The Eighty-Dollar Champion Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation by Elizabeth Letts Through a Window My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe by Jane Goodall 100 Heartbeats A Journey to Meet Our Planet's Endangered Animals and the Heroes Working to Save Them by Jeff Corwin

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46323 comments I'm glad to see you are joining us in this challenge, Jane.

The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse sounds like a fun read. Did you enjoy it?

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments The horse book sounds interesting. $80.00 huh? Sounds like it was a good investment.

message 4: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads Janice wrote: "I'm glad to see you are joining us in this challenge, Jane.

The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse sounds like a fun read. Did you enjoy it?"

Yes, very much so. It's the first in the Cats in Trouble series, about a young widow in SC with three Katrina - rescued cats.

message 5: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads Judy wrote: "The horse book sounds interesting. $80.00 huh? Sounds like it was a good investment."

I thought it was very interesting. Eighty dollars went further in 1956!

It is the true story of a horse which became show-jumping's Horse of the Year in 1959 and 1960. Snowman even appeared on The Tonight Show with guest host Johnny Carson in 1959.

Harry de Leyer didn't get to the horse auction in time for the bidding, but he decided to buy one of the unsold horses, a dirty too-thin used-up worn-out plowhorse, on the truck bound for the slaughterhouse. After Harry got Snowman cleaned up, fattened up and rested up, he tried to sell Snowman to a local doctor. Snowman kept jumping the fence to return to Harry's farm, even dragging the tire meant to keep him in the doctor's paddock. Harry soon bought Snowman back and began training him.

Since Snowman was a former plowhorse, he was only accustomed to going in a straight line without a rider. In addition to Harry's saddle training, Snowman's first lessons were learning how to turn!

The book especially appealed to me, because it is a new and expanded version of my children's book (Snowman by Rutherford Montgomery) that I loved as a girl and saved for my own children.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Jane wrote: "Janice wrote: "I'm glad to see you are joining us in this challenge, Jane.

The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse sounds like a fun read. Did you enjoy it?"

Yes, very much so. It's the first in the..."

Cats, quilts with a little murder thrown in, sounds like a winning formula.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.